Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Forecast/sensor websites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dkite

Since 21 May 2006
14 Posts

PostMon Aug 14, 06 9:30 pm    Forecast/sensor websites Reply with quote

I want to start a thread discussing forecast and sensor info.

Besides IWindsurf....where does everyone get there forecast and sensor info? I check all the forecast and sensor info that is linked from this forum, but what else is out there? Where do you think the better info is?

Hope to learn lots....

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostMon Aug 14, 06 9:47 pm     Reply with quote

Hmmm...better info? Beyond Ikitesurf I would suggest to begin just learning about meteorology in general. The more you learn the less dependant on forcasters, and even sensors, you can become. Once you learn to read gradients all of sudden you can look at a weather map and see giant arrows pointing to who's gonna get that epic day and who's gonna get skunked.

Personal experience works well too. The longer you kite a certain region the better you become at telling when a spot will work and when it wont.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Aug 14, 06 10:19 pm     Reply with quote

Kiters get to be good meteorologists, or so the guy on MTV "True Life I'm a RETARDED Kiteboarder" said...

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostMon Aug 14, 06 10:59 pm     Reply with quote

Adam! You should have called me man! Last night I saw "True Life, I'm a Giant Douche Bag" and I was seriously impressed! I never knew life was so tough for you growing up. And that part on how you cry yourself to sleep every night? Heartbreaking!

Haha...Tucker made me do it. Really. Twisted Evil

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 15, 06 6:27 am     Reply with quote

Here's a good one I have been meaning to add to the Forecast page:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/frame.php?map=pqr

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Aug 15, 06 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

I think the best way to handle the forecast thing is to cover it by spot. I've made somewhat of an art form of deciding when sauvie will be kiteable.

I use I kitesurf info and the links posted here mostly. I find the pressure gradient maps the most helpfull combined with cloud cover. If your stuck in an office you can watch the gradients and see how they vary from the forecast. For sauvie, I watch what jones is doing, look for no clouds between pdx and the coast, and at least .15 gradient between sauvie and jones.

If your not bored at work and want to fiddle, I find that the scappoose aviation predictions are the best available.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Aug 15, 06 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

Lol... Aren't you supposed to be working or something? Rolling Eyes

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Aug 15, 06 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

I just got completely blindsided by an engineering firm that has effectively reversed 2 months worth of work.

So, I'm staging a boycott Smile

dkite

Since 21 May 2006
14 Posts

PostTue Aug 15, 06 8:17 pm     Reply with quote

Pressure gradients? Tell me more. Is there a site for these "scappoose aviation predications" you guys are talking about. What do you look for with both these pressure gradients and these aviations predications?

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostWed Aug 16, 06 8:49 am    yup Reply with quote

plenty of info for free
Mesowest ,
Airport sky conditions A.W.O.S.
Geo stationary satelites
visable satelites
infrared satilites
GOES west satelites with lows and highs drawn in ,
don't forget cams
it's all there just like weather forecasters use
and don't forget your tides

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Aug 16, 06 11:18 am     Reply with quote

I kitesurf has the pressure gradient maps. I'm sure they are posted elsewhere but i have an account so why bother.

The scappose aviation forecast is in the links section of this site. go to spots, sauvie, forecat links..or click here.

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?model=eta&state=OR&sta=KSPB

Smile

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 18, 06 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a free good one for Manzo. I've found it reports about 3-4 mph more than the conditions in front of the motels. Sensor is about 6 blocks south of Laneda (the main drag).

http://www.neahkahnie.net/realestate/weather.html

Today was too hot in town, too many wind holes, even down at the state park it was bad, still hoping for a late blow. A few kiters tried around 4pm, but the wind was too up and down. Yesterday (Thurs) was rocking, kited on my 9m from 2-5pm in great conditions, would have kited longer but my trim loop rope broke !!

Andre did his usual session down to the state park. Josh was ripping the north side of town, and jumping, I rarely see him doing anymore !!

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 18, 06 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

looked like it was foggy today. no?

you should have gone up and done a big downwinder at ft stevens. looked really windy. come on, it's not a far drive for you. you are spoiled. you would probably have more fun there anyways. i'll see you sunday, maybe tomorrow also.

jeremy wrote:
Here's a free good one for Manzo. I've found it reports about 3-4 mph more than the conditions in front of the motels. Sensor is about 6 blocks south of Laneda (the main drag).

http://www.neahkahnie.net/realestate/weather.html

Today was too hot in town, too many wind holes, even down at the state park it was bad, still hoping for a late blow. A few kiters tried around 4pm, but the wind was too up and down. Yesterday (Thurs) was rocking, kited on my 9m from 2-5pm in great conditions, would have kited longer but my trim loop rope broke !!

Andre did his usual session down to the state park. Josh was ripping the north side of town, and jumping, I rarely see him doing anymore !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: