Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

For all those who couldn't make it to the coast...
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 14, 06 2:04 pm     Reply with quote

or i should have said, did anyone see a 'vessel'. i certainly did not.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 14, 06 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

Laughing are we just going to stand around and let them take over the most epic kiting spot in the state???? i think it might be time for a counter offensive... Twisted Evil

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Aug 14, 06 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

John, I think they might've been done by the time we went through, but if they hadn't been done it would've sure added an extra element of fun. New best trick: handlepass kiteloop with shrapnel flying under you Shocked

Great weekend at the coast!!! Gotta do it again sometime.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 14, 06 2:35 pm     Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for setting me straight Gene! I never was one to catch on quickly! Yeah, lets do it again, you were going offff!

John

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 14, 06 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

What gets me is why they try these drills on a busy summer weekend - many cars got stranded on the shipwreck beach because they couldn't make the steep exit, and no cars were allowed to drive between Sunset and Shipwreck during the drills. We tried to squeak through with the shuttle van and were told by military police that they had to wait for all the kiters to pass through before they could finish their drill and re-open the beach to cars and pedestrians. From that statement, I was relieved that they were not firing off rounds into the ocean while kiters were passing by. Confused

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 14, 06 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

The dates listed in that posting are July 25 through July 29, 2005. That would probably explain why the Coast Gaurd Vessels left... Very Happy

Nak

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 14, 06 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

tonski
i am sure they train when it is convenient to them. given the miles and miles of oregon coast a few miles that is inconvenient to you is probably not nor should it be part of their consideration. also consider that many of those participating in the exercises are national guard who have jobs during the week and spend much of their free time defending this nation (whether you agree with the war of the month or not). 30 kiters inconvenienced should shut the fuck up and be grateful....

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 14, 06 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

tonski wrote:
From that statement, I was relieved that they were not firing off rounds into the ocean while kiters were passing by. Confused

i was on my first leg when i heard the first report.

first thought

WTF!!!

second thought...

am I in the range?!?

third thought...

say that's a tasty looking wave....................................

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostMon Aug 14, 06 7:33 pm    as usual Reply with quote

Jack,
you are right on,
I love seeing the coasties and always thank them,for doing a really nasty job ,SAVIN OUR ARSES , literally, pulling people out of the ocean ,
and racin around in really cool boats

I'm with Jack
and agree with
J.P.!!!???
those waves do look tasty
That shootin at ya duh oh!!?

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 14, 06 8:00 pm    Re: as usual Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:

and agree with
J.P.!!!???
those waves do look tasty
That shootin at ya duh oh!!?

the answer to the second thought was no, i'm up wind.
you can easily spot the charge(s) by thier smoke cloud within ~30 seconds of the report.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 14, 06 8:09 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
30 kiters inconvenienced should shut the fuck up and be grateful....

yea well if by 'inconvenienced' you mean being shot at unwarned while kitesurfing, i disagree

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 14, 06 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

the point being ridiculed was the inconvenience of picking a busy summer weekend. also, as much as you would like to believe you were kiting in a war zone and how cool it was or how close you were to death i am pretty damn sure not one kite or kiter was close to any ammunition, the only thing you need to look out for out there is the bullshit people like to toss around about how windy it was or how big the wave was or how huge they went, all more than likely exagerated to no end much like the carrying on about kiting through a live ammuntition training...

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 14, 06 8:32 pm     Reply with quote

i hear you man, i didn't know anything about any live fire until i started reading this forum today. i had absolutely no problems out there at all. yeah i saw the humvees but they are always out there and i figured if there was something to look out for they would let me know

as for the huge wind, huge waves and my huge airs... i would have to start bullshitting if i were talking about all that. it was 13m, 5ft swell and i couldn't boost an air to save my life (even if they were shooting at me) Very Happy

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 14, 06 8:38 pm     Reply with quote

Easy Red Neck Jack! I think the point is that the military’s planning is piss poor. Their own notice doesn’t cover August dates, so how are civilians (not just kiters) supposed to know that they could be trapped on the beach if they drive north or sail south?? All the jar heads had to do was post notice at the beach access points. It would also help them complete their drills on time.

Not surprised of the poor planning given the current state of our military & war evolvement … Rolling Eyes

I mean no disrespect to those in the military; it’s just doesn’t appear to be an efficient operation looking in from the outside. But what government agency is???

~Nads

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 14, 06 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

cmon jk the swell was atleast double overhead, and you could barely hold on to the 13m and if you saw live fire it was because you were jumping higher than the dunes and saw what was going on on the other side... Wink Surprised

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostMon Aug 14, 06 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

jack wrote:
the point being ridiculed was the inconvenience of picking a busy summer weekend. also, as much as you would like to believe you were kiting in a war zone and how cool it was or how close you were to death i am pretty damn sure not one kite or kiter was close to any ammunition, the only thing you need to look out for out there is the bullshit people like to toss around about how windy it was or how big the wave was or how huge they went, all more than likely exagerated to no end much like the carrying on about kiting through a live ammuntition training...
TRUE.....They have been doing it for years now and it,s time for it to be more org. than just for them ...The beach is a public road and we should be able to use it 24 hrs. a day if need so....the rounds never go over the sea wall ..it,s just a precautionary measure....and about the vessel out in the water ,there was something that was good size , i saw it on sat.out front of my house....drop this issue and go watch CHRIS ROCK on HBO.....you might actually learn something Laughing Laughing Laughing

sandkiter

Since 04 Dec 2005
3 Posts

Kook

PostMon Aug 14, 06 8:53 pm    live fire Reply with quote

agreed,
they have been doing it for years. many an upwind shuttle has been haulted by these guys.

although,
If you kite through from upwind and do not stop at the humvee's they will cease fire untill you are out of the zone.

you didn't hear it from me.

the upwind shuttle can still make it to the iredale by driving the highway north, but nothing beats hitching a bumper ride holding onto your inflated kite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: