Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone have a trainer kite I could borrow?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
alexpower

Since 11 Aug 2006
8 Posts

Kook

PostFri Aug 11, 06 8:37 am    Anyone have a trainer kite I could borrow? Reply with quote

Im heading up from california to do some kitebording at the world famous gorge. Ill be staying with a friend that wants to learn how to kiteboard. If anyone has a trainer kite he could pick up and borrow for a day or two that would be amazing. I figure if he can fly a trainer, when i get up there i should be able to get him riding in one day. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on the safest place to teach someone. Any help is appreciated, thnx.

alexpower

Since 11 Aug 2006
8 Posts

Kook

PostThu Aug 17, 06 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

Noone in all of oregon has a trainer kite???

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Aug 17, 06 11:48 pm     Reply with quote

I've got one,,, but I just can't find it.

The safest place to learn? I would put him on a full size kite and have him launch at stevenson. Pretty mellow launch site for beginers.

Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, beginers go to the hood river spit.

alexpower

Since 11 Aug 2006
8 Posts

Kook

PostThu Aug 17, 06 11:53 pm     Reply with quote

I have no clue which part of your post is sarcastic.
Where would be the best place for me to teach someone to kiteboard?

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Aug 18, 06 12:01 am     Reply with quote

i would reccomend sauvies island or jones beach. both are pretty nice sandy beaches. jones is further away but with more sand stronger wind and less people. sauvies is very close to portland(like 30 min.) but with lighter wind less sand and more people. plus there is some wind on the forcast for the next couple days for both spots. i wouldnt recomend hood river, there are already alot of beginers out there it gets to be a zoo even for advanced kiters.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostFri Aug 18, 06 12:25 am     Reply with quote

Sorry about that. I would go with the above suggestios if you have a bigger kite 16+ although tomorrow looks like it will blow pretty good at Sauvie (supposed to anyway, but I don't see it happening if the gorge is going to turn east).

I'm serious about the trainer kite, I can't for the life of me find it, I think i lent it to someone else and its gone for good.

When are you coming up?

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 18, 06 7:41 am     Reply with quote

Sauvies would be a good spot to learn, although the place can be a zoo on the weekends. If possible go out on a weekday... Jones is much bigger, less crowded and more reliable, stronger, winds. The negative with Jones though is that the wind can have a pretty good onshore component. Sauvies is usually much more sideshore.

Watch the tides at Astoria, as they will affect both spots. The river current will actually reverse... according to my non-scientific observations, Jones seems to lag Astoria by 2 hours, Sauvies by 4.

Anywhere in the Colombia, watch out for ships!!! They can't stop and they take a long time to turn. Plus they produce a large wind shadow...

Have Fun!
Nak

Last edited by Nak on Fri Aug 18, 06 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

alexpower

Since 11 Aug 2006
8 Posts

Kook

PostFri Aug 18, 06 9:19 am     Reply with quote

Ill be coming up monday through sunday so I guess Ill take him out to sauvie island to learn. Whats sites on ikitesurf tell me the wind for sauvie island, jones beach, and the gorge. The gorge seems to have a bunch of spots.

Thanks for looking for a trainer. I have one, so at this point Ill just teach him from scratch when i get up there.

Does anyone know if a 4/3 wetsuit will be warm enough or will I need to go warmer right now?

Thanks for all the advice!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 18, 06 9:59 am     Reply with quote

Water temp at Sauvies right now is 71-72... Ambient temps are going to be in the 90s through Wed. Some people have shedded their wetsuits entirely, but I'm still using a shorty. I used a full 4/3 at the coast last week and it felt perfect, to me anyways. Very Happy

Check out the "Spots" at the top of this forum for good info on Sauvies.

Have fun!
Nak

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 18, 06 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Also, the sensor at Jones Beach is in the trees; look at the gust reading for a good idea of what's actually blowing on the river...

Nak

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostSun Aug 20, 06 1:51 pm     Reply with quote

Unless your heading to the coast, you can leave your wetsuit behind.

Have fun and maybe we will see you out there. One word to the wise, if your buddy is going to play on the trainer, make sure he is not in the way of people moving up and down the beach. Often times when sauv gets light people do short downwinders and walk back up the beach. It's annoying (and dangerous on the weekends) when there is a gaunlet of trainer kites to work through.

Be safe, have fun, don't move here. Cool

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 21, 06 7:18 pm    Re: Anyone have a trainer kite I could borrow? Reply with quote

Do your friend a favor and have him get some lessons. You might not have equipment that is best for lessons - ie small kites, big board that makes learning easier and most important - safer. And a boat always helps Smile

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue Aug 22, 06 7:15 am     Reply with quote

That is a very good point. What would you rather do on your trip to the world famous gorge. Tear it up until your legs feel like they are going to fall off and have the time of your life or sit on the beach and try to teach your friend how to fly a trainer kite?

It's worth the money, especially if you guys are a couple. LOL

alexpower

Since 11 Aug 2006
8 Posts

Kook

PostTue Aug 22, 06 10:49 am     Reply with quote

We are a couple, and everyone has had the good decency not to bring it up until now!

I can throw him on a trainer kite, ride for an hour or two, come back and work with him for awhile with a large kite, than ride again, then take him in the water. But ill look into the spots on the coast.

I also got a Liquid force assault 12m w/bar im trying to sell for $600 obo in the classifieds. Killer price if anyone is looking for a great bow kite.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: