Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bridge of the Gods Results
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 09, 06 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
We at inept films arent trying to appeal to other kiters, we are just trying to make other kiters see what we think is missing from the sport. A lot of what is missing is STYLE and CONSEQUENCE. We are just doing our own thing, wheter other kiters like it our not. The end of august is going to be big things for us at inept, be sure to keep up to date.

What we are doing is getting us known by the big name wakestyle pros, you will be sure to start seeing our names in more places then just around the gorge.

INEPT BIATCH!!!!!!

walk your own path and never look back...

as for consequence I hear yah!!!
I'm a little bummed that the surf will only be 4' this weekend... Sad

then again IMO any day o nthe coast is worth two in the gorge.

lb

Since 08 Aug 2006
31 Posts
Floras Lake

PostThu Aug 10, 06 9:59 am     Reply with quote

Really appreciate the good words , I'll be sure to pass them on. Already looking forward to next year ~ It was a great (and rare!) summer escape for us... Will especially!

Liz B.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Aug 17, 06 10:04 am     Reply with quote

I'm curious as to what kites the top finishers were flying.

NOT trying to start a gear war and I know the big dogs can make magic off of just about anything.

What I am curious about is whether SLE/Bows are breaking out of their beginner/wave-riding sterotype and showing up in the winner circles of events like these.

The sponsored guys are loyal to their brand but I figure they have a choice as to whether to ride SLE or C (except for Cabrinha which is all SLE I guess...)

Thanks in advance for your non-partisan feedback.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 17, 06 10:37 am     Reply with quote

pjc - the event was definitely dominated by C kites. I remarked a couple times on how different it was to all of a sudden see almost all C kites at Stevenson, whereas lately its been more like 50% C, 50% flat kites.

There is no denying that C kites have advantages for freestyle. I was riding my 13m Yarga C kite (the last in my quiver) the other night at Sauvies and I landed a couple of the most legit raleys I have done all year. Mind you I was doing this in choppy water and lighter winds, whereas I am usually in better conditions when on my Waroo so you'd figure I could stick some better unhooked stuff. But the solid downwind pull of the C design works a lot better for unhooked.

With my Waroos I have to trim them perfectly or else I will stall the kite, or not get enough downwind yank and line tension when trying to launch something unhooked. I can still do all the tricks (okay all 3 that I know how to do unhooked) but they don't feel as "legit" (kite low, fully extended body) as they do on the C kite.

C kites seem to have advantages to their shape that might make them well suited for freestyle events. Then again if 90% of the riders are more suited on a flat kite, then likely the market will demand that 90% of the kites are flat kites... and the C kites will become so niche that they might just fade away into obscurity.

Who knows... hopefully the '07 flats give us some more of that C kite advantage without taking away any of the positive attributes they had in '06.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 17, 06 10:40 am     Reply with quote

pjc wrote:
I'm curious as to what kites the top finishers were flying.

Oh and brand wise it was pretty much all over the place.

Ben Chambers - Naish / Torch
Brian Wheeler - North / Vegas
Dylan - Slingshot / Fuel
Reed - Slingshot / Fuel
Brad - Slingshot / Fuel
Josh Solbach - North / Vegas
Laura Maher - Slingshot / Fuel
Tony - Best / Waroo

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Aug 17, 06 10:42 am     Reply with quote

All the winners were on medium aspect C-Kites... Although there were some Bows out there putting up a serious fight...

Paul Schommer from Maui was making due just fine on his Waroo, and took second in best trick. Our local kite God, Phillip was a looping fury on his Waroo. Nate Dogg was flicking the front roll down loops on his Cab. Josh Griffith was definitely throwing huge kiteloops on his 07 Cab. Henry was looping his Cab as well. Both Tony and Ken in the old dudes (wait that's ME next year) were on Bows.

My assesment is that the Bows will become more refined and as the bar adjustment systems get better, you will be able to set the kite up to ride within a certain power range and get the pop/grunt performance of a C...

The BOTG was a great show and well run by Renee and company...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Aug 17, 06 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

bambam wrote:
Our local kite God, Phillip was a looping fury on his Waroo.

Maybe local to my own head... come on you are just trying to kiss up after you called me on my smallish hooked-in kiteloops hurting my knee. Wink

Btw, its still sore, but I am going to say screw it and go hard anyway... its friggin mid-August! Time to kite! Winter is for healing. Very Happy

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Aug 17, 06 1:00 pm    Boy Germs... Reply with quote

No way am I kissin you buddy boy!!!

Just calling it like I see's it brother. Just cause your not going "Josh Solbach"...actually we should now be saying "Shannon Bolstad" large does not mean your not throwing down. Even though your still smallish...um, er, I mean your kiteloops are.... That does not dimish that fact that you throw em hard, smooth, and with "furious anger" (sorry, getting my Samuel Jackson on there for a moment) stylie style...

Kite on, Jon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: