Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

"This is a launching and landing area!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Aug 07, 06 1:29 pm    "This is a launching and landing area!" Reply with quote

We were goofing on this video a bunch this weekend, seems like it deserved a repost:

http://www.nwkite.com/videos/USA-2005.mov

(Ruben Len10 Does America)

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Aug 07, 06 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

So what exactly was that lady trying to say. Laughing Geez, Twisted Evil you can't jump around 70 year old men.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Aug 07, 06 2:16 pm     Reply with quote

There's 2 important rules for windsurfers I've observed:
1. don't smile Neutral
2. don't look anywhere but straight ahead Shocked

Having Ruben skying 40' overhead could cause a windsurfer to violate both these rules!

Laughing

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 07, 06 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

thxs for the repost!

what i find amazing is how fast he rides...
it was soooo apparant when he and hadlow were at shipswrecks.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Aug 07, 06 4:06 pm     Reply with quote

That's the "bombastical" style!!! Surprised

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Aug 07, 06 11:28 pm     Reply with quote

That video is badass, good music too!! Shocked

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostTue Aug 08, 06 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

Some cool stuff for sure... keeping it real though, remember that there is an aging population of windsurfers... the video shows the altercation, and then the next clip is buddy having happy time with his bong... That's just fufills the stereotype that many windsurfers have of kiters... and they probably wonder if you're "high on dope" when you're out on the water. You can't portray your sport as a total rebel brimming with attitude, and not expect that kind of reaction from someone.

All that being said though, that lady was way out of line, and the kiters and videographer handled it really well.

Hey, and DO smile and wave at windsurfers... the don'ts are flying your kite over windsurfers, or changing your course so you come within inches of someone as you pass by... that's the stuff that'll get people pissed.

I'm for one am getting used to kiters, and realize when its busy in spots sometimes its just unavoidable for a kiter to fly his kite over me. It goes over a lot better if I see the kiter watching me, his kite high, and a little nod or wave doesn't hurt either.

Also, a lesson to be learned from the video is maybe don't come into launch areas like the Event Site bay to do tricks when its busy. I saw kiter almost take someone out crashing on a jump maybe 20ft off the shore at the Event Site. I've got nothing against kiting at all, and plan to give it a try, but I can't tell you how quickly its going to get canned if someone KO's a windsufer right in the Event Site bay. There are ALOT of people that would like to see the sand bar made an "instructional area only", and a whole bunch more that would like to see kiting banned from the sand bar completely.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 08, 06 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Slipin Lizard wrote:
keeping it real though, remember that there is an aging population of windsurfers...

"This man is over 70 years old!"

Wink

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostTue Aug 08, 06 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

pkh.. uhh... I don't get it? What's your point?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 08, 06 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

Slipin Lizard wrote:
pkh.. uhh... I don't get it? What's your point?

Just another quote from the movie, don't really mean anything by it. I don't know why, but it makes me chuckle every time I watch it.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Aug 08, 06 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

Right on Slipin...your points are well taken here.

Now let's get you some kites and a bong!!!

Laughing just joking Laughing

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 08, 06 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

Hey and I don't have anything against windsurfers, I always try to stay downwind or far upwind of them. And I know windsurfers can rip hard, too bad they just need so much wind to do it. In 40 knots they really shine.

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.redbullstormchase.com/

Check out the trailer video on the homepage, guys are going huge!!

There is a kiteboarder that wants to join as well, vote for him so he can go!:

http://www.redbullstormchase.com/riders/germany-baltic-sea-east/dirk-hanel_168.html

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 08, 06 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

Slipin Lizard wrote:
Hey, and DO smile and wave at windsurfers... the don'ts are flying your kite over windsurfers,... .

I never buzz em close with my kite, but I don't give it a second thought if my lines pass 10 feet or so over the top of ther mast. Usually this happens when I have the right of way (right foot leading) and it is really the windsurfer (on the opposite tack) that is choosing to get close. Of course I am keeping an eye on things and not making them nervous by spazzing the kite all around. (and as the upwind kiter I'm keeping the kite high, 60 degrees up or more).

No windsurfer has made mention of it either and we've exchanged plenty of smiles.

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostTue Aug 08, 06 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Hey pkh, sorry, I wasn't trying convey I was offended, I just wasn't sure what you meant..reading my post now I realize it looks curt. But yeah, I guess that guy was 70 and still rockin. I still say the kiters handled it really well. I'm a videographer and if that lady had put her hand on my XL2 like that, I would have just lost it...

PJC has the right attitude, with flying the kite over head. I've had it happen a bunch of times, but pretty much always the kiter is watching me and I get the sense they are trying to make the pass as easy as possible. I've said this before on this forum and I'll say it again, by far the scariest near miss "wtf are you thinking!?" moments are with other windsurfers, not with kiters, but I guess that lady in the video had kiteaphobia or something.

I have to go kite/bong shopping now... are they seperate or can you buy them as a kit? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: