Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Squamish BC Oil Spill

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostSat Aug 05, 06 9:13 am    Squamish BC Oil Spill Reply with quote

This sucks. There was a huge oil spill at the best (only good summer spot) kite spot in Vancouver yesterday.

The news and company is saying that they have cleanup crews on site cleaning it up, but on the webcam you can see nothing is being done.

The oil flowed into a pristine estuary environment, and several kiters got covered in oil.

So.... don't make any plans to hit Squamish any time soon. There may be plans for a cleanup fundraiser in the near future, so stay tuned.

http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3568&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

dsc00845_194.jpg 
   dsc00857_269.jpg 

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 05, 06 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Totally uncool. I didn't know tankers went up into that area. The hike up the rock behind that tanker is a good one.

jatkinson

Since 24 May 2006
15 Posts

PostSat Aug 05, 06 9:54 am     Reply with quote

It wasn't a tanker. It was a freighter carrying lumber. The wind pushed it back into the pier and pilings punctured the fuel tank. Spilled several thousand litres of bunker oil.

Sounds like nobody got hurt. I talked to a kite instructor who got the worst of it (I think he went right through the slick after a student) and other than his eyes still burning he seems to be OK. His brand new Jetski is toast though.

Squamish will be off limits for kiting for quite a while by the sounds of things. And the estuary may never be the same.

I am so pissed that this could happen here.

JJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: