Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The Future of Kiteboarding...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Aug 03, 06 2:25 pm    The Future of Kiteboarding...? Reply with quote

Some times I get the feeling that everyone and anyone with 2k dollars and some time on their hands is learning to kiteboard. The beaches seem to get more and more crowded as time goes on.

Does anybody else worry about this? I can handle the crowds, but I keep imagining some lady getting her arm cut in half or her neck broke at Sauvie and having the place shut down. The bowkites are a bit of a double edged sword. They are soo much safer and easier to control I think at times they create a false sense of security. I know several people that tried kiteboarding and gave it up becuase they were getting teabagged left and right. It's pretty hard to get tea bagged on a bow kite....

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions? Rants?

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostThu Aug 03, 06 3:19 pm     Reply with quote

I encourage many people that want to try it not too unless they understand the amount of money involved and the great chance of getting your ass, or sometimes a broken leg, handed to you in the process of learning, I have gone out now a total of 5 times and luckily have already had the oppurtunity to experience using my safety release due to trusting my vision a little too much (reversed lines on one side of the kite)... after about 40 ft of being shocked that the kite had turned into a "pinwheel of doom".. I started looking for a way out, in that amount of time had the kite not been slamming into the ground I might have ended up in the trees down the beach, luckily I was reminded by the only other fellow kiter there that even though I had removed my safety leash to put on my board..(other problem)... I could still pull the pin out and slack one side of the kite etc.. Embarassed

I realized after thinking about that for the next week that there was a lot more risk involved than I was even considering, I work in a place where I need to be in full health at all times and my rent / monthly expenses depend on me being able to work, i'm sure this is partially what you're talking about although you seem to be more worried about everything getting over-crowded and out of control which, of course, if the sport continues to get more popular will inevitably happen, i'm sure you know that, I think it's all just a matter of helping people understand the serious risk involved with not being fully educated on what to do in case of an emergency etc..

ptavv

Since 29 May 2006
30 Posts

PostThu Aug 03, 06 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

I see kiting a lot like I see skiing (the other sport I'm passionate about).

It's certainly more fun when you're the only one out there doing it, but it's still enjoyable.

Considering how many more beaches there are (espeically around here), it's usually pretty easy to find somewhere that's not super crowded. Even if places aren't crowded taking your time and doing everything right seems to minimize the potential risk.

The only issue is accessibility, since there's no infrastructure that we're paying to use these beaches, they could easily be shut down if kiting proves to be too much of a liability. I'm not aware of anywhere that has been closed to kiting, it's usually more of an access issue (secret spot, and others) as to not being able to park in the proper place and whatnot.

If nothing else, there's always the entire Oregon coast...

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 03, 06 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

Yep I can see certifications in the near future, like paragliding. thought I heard Chicago already requires some kind of cert for kiteboarding. another double edge i suppose

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Aug 03, 06 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

and as far as places being closed to kiting (permanently), there are many. FL and CA come to mind, i'm sure there are more. sounds like the few spots in the Twin Cities of MN are under pressure too... 10000 freaking lakes but the access is absolutely minimal, especially in the heat of summer

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 03, 06 11:21 pm     Reply with quote

I see it happening with people launching that have not been taught. People should not launch if they do not kite! Landing is another issue, but just as severe.

I was in NY last month at a point on Seneca Lake that people kite but I was the only one with a kite. Some bystander knew what I was doing but when I asked if they knew how to kite, they said no. So, I set up for a self launch. Then they asked if I just needed them to ‘hold’ my kite and I said not if you don’t know what your doing! I launched with seaweed holding my SB down. I would rather F***up and involve only me and not hurt anyone. I even went to the extent to contact a local kiter to verify that I was in the ‘launch zone’. I would not want to be the one that had a place shutdown.

Any and all places can be shut down if we do not take care of ourselves. Our freedom on the west coast is far more friendlier then on the east coast where the is little places to launch. Most of the land is privately owned.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Aug 04, 06 7:05 am    wudda ya mean Reply with quote

just go to the coast ?
is it a penelty?

have they heard how COLD it is?
and it's too windy
absolutly no babes
and a bunch of fags in wetsuits with (undoutbly naked underneath)

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Aug 04, 06 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Better get the kite malitia fired up and start the localism enforcement. First up captn K. Laughing

Never assume just because some one has been kiting for many years that they are not a kook. Wink

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Aug 04, 06 7:16 am    kook Reply with quote

pass that kook over here Twisted Evil

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostFri Aug 04, 06 11:57 am     Reply with quote

I had a guy at Sauvie's the other day, that was a kiter (or should I say kook) launch my kite for me. As I was hooking up my safety to 5th line he launched my kite, I had not hooked in, nor in position for launch with one hand on the bar. Thank god it was Sauvie's and the wind was light and was able to regain control, hook in and connect my safety.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Aug 07, 06 11:07 am     Reply with quote

Just "going to the coast" really isn't going to help the situation. The coast is far from me and it is cold. Call me a puss or whatever, but given the choice to kite in boardshorts and a rash guard 20 minutes from my house or fight traffic for over an hour and a half to don 2 inches of rubber and kite in icewater, I think i'm going to go with the former.

For whatever reason, I see grim concequences when the beaches get more and more crowded.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 07, 06 11:23 am     Reply with quote

i friggin love the coast. i don't think i'd ever go to the river again if i could do downwinders and not have to walk back to the car. i realize you get the waves in the gorge, but only when its freakin nukin and i don't have the quiver for that kind of wind. on the coast you get the waves, silky flats between them and wind like a fan. getting into the 5/4 is a struggle but it's all worth it once you get into the water...

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 07, 06 11:40 am     Reply with quote

The coast is sick, even if the water is freezing.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 08, 06 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

i have been amazed by how few people seem to actually go to the coast on a regular basis (apart from when the gorge is obviously shut down). what is wrong with these people? maybe people in portland have become spoiled by being so close to kiting and they have gotten soft?

ptavv

Since 29 May 2006
30 Posts

PostTue Aug 08, 06 4:37 pm     Reply with quote

It certainly couldn't be personal preference...

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Aug 08, 06 4:42 pm     Reply with quote

gabe wrote:
i have been amazed by how few people seem to actually go to the coast on a regular basis (apart from when the gorge is obviously shut down). what is wrong with these people? maybe people in portland have become spoiled by being so close to kiting and they have gotten soft?

Gabe,

Drop it! Wink

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 08, 06 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

the future is board offs and deadmans, if you didnt already know that then you are out of the loop.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: