Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Are you entered into the Bridge of the Gods???
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Aug 02, 06 1:32 pm    Are you entered into the Bridge of the Gods??? Reply with quote

And if not, then why not?

Hey all, trying to help Renee drum up some more athletes for this weekend. Seems that Portland has a pretty solid base of support for this sport, and we all need to get out to Stevenson and support a local contest. For the last few years there has been nothing on the event schedule around here, and in the large scope of kiteboarding Hood River/Portland seems to be falling off the map.

This event is called The Bridge of the Gods Kiteboarding "FESTIVAL" for a reason. That being it is all about having fun... Looks like I personally will be entering the Big Air...just for the fun of it, and it would be great if more of our local kiteboarders would enter with the emphasis being on having a great time.

Hope to see everyone out there this Saturday, and it looks like the wind Gods are going to smile upon us.

Thanks, Jon Malmberg

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Aug 02, 06 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

I'm entering in the "just for the hell of it" category... sounds like the actual kiting events aside there is still tons of reasons why to enter. Food, schwag, music, partying...

Remember folks its just an amateur only event so we don't have to deal with the likes of Amery or Sky or any of those other local pros... just all those up and coming groms that have joints stronger than titanium and no fear. Shocked

Anyway, its going to be fun. Still looking for video camera people on the jet-ski tomorrow, if you see a gold SeaDoo attached to a Subaru come on over with your camera and we'll get some killer footage.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Aug 02, 06 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

I'm not b/c I have a family reunion in yellowstone Sad

Not that I would have chance in hell of winning anything. oooh back roll!!

Wow! Did you see that front roll?

I do have the unhooked backloop, board over the head, face plant, to kite smash trick wired though !

Oh well, at least i'm trying
Sad

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Aug 02, 06 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

Monkeyboy...

Man, that makes me laugh... Cause those were the exact moves I was armed with when I entered my first one back in 2001... I had learned to kite the summer 0f 2000, and just went for it. Those eight minutes in my first heat went by so fast, and by then end I had managed to place second and had the opportunity to move on cause all the other guys in my heat were pretty much rank beginners as well.

Unfortunately in my second round, Tybo and Sky pretty much kicked my awesome arsenal of back and front rolls into the cheap seats. But, man...was it fun to be out there kiting and hanging out with those guys. In my second round I pretty much kited around and watched Tybo and Sky from what I considered to be the best seat in the house.

Come on out and have a good time. Phillip and I will be the two guys out there kiting around with the best seats in the house.

Bam

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostWed Aug 02, 06 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

Sure would be cool if they had a beginner class. I would love to enter something like that, since I am pretty much where you were in 2001. I have been kiting for a year now, and can pretty much only do a frontroll, or backroll. I think the base level of the kiters is probably a bit higher than it was in 2001.

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostWed Aug 02, 06 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

Kodiak, I think you're onto something! We could really get the crowd rolling with categories like i) first ever rotation ii) first ever kite loop iii) first time sending it. Just think of how much kiters could progress with a day like this!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Aug 02, 06 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

I think a most destructive kiteloop category would be awesome.... to watch. Wink

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostWed Aug 02, 06 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Heck if there was a biggest crash that would be great. I would have no issues just unhooking and trying to huck a major kitecrash, err I mean kiteloop Smile

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 02, 06 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

I would enter "the longest to learn how to stay upwind" catagory Laughing

I'll be there with camera and, I'm looking for waterproof gear!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Aug 02, 06 9:26 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
I think a most destructive kiteloop category would be awesome.... to watch. Wink

i'll take a board & harness breaking combo to take that one in my book!

no knees, just gear Wink

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Aug 02, 06 11:00 pm     Reply with quote

I was poking around on the san fran kite forum and one of the guys botched a kite look and his board flew up and nailed him in the mouth. He broke several teeth off and from the sounds of it, was hurting pretty bad.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Aug 03, 06 7:32 am     Reply with quote

Renee... You paying attention to this post...

I am hearing a lot of desire to have a "Beginner Hacks" catagory, where some of the less experienced riders can go out and hack away with people at their level...

Not sure how you would control entry requirements for this catagory, but it would sure be fun to provide a framework to let beginners compete against beginners... Maybe the prize could be something goofy to keep the guys looking for a cash return in the open division.

People like to compete, its human nature, but would rather go up against others with the same relative skill level... Its not as much fun when a Tybo or Sky trounches your best back/front roll move!!!

Just some thoughts, Jon

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostThu Aug 03, 06 7:45 am     Reply with quote

Amen to that. I love to compete, I jsut like to have a chance at beating someone Smile Or failing that I want the people I am "competing" against to look as goofy as I do Rolling Eyes

brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostThu Aug 03, 06 7:10 pm     Reply with quote

If there's a trainer kite or body dragging category, I'm in!!! Laughing

chrisf

Since 06 Jan 2006
17 Posts
White Salmon

PostThu Aug 03, 06 8:42 pm     Reply with quote

No Kidding tonight when I was out I was out body dragging to get my board I was thinking that might be a challenging catergory at my level.

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Aug 03, 06 11:36 pm     Reply with quote

I made it to my board for the first time (without leash) tonight. Then after expelling the water from my lungs, I could talk again. I'm in for the body dragging comp.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Aug 04, 06 8:52 am    Does anyone know when you have to register by? Reply with quote

I would like to enter for the hell of it...maybe big-air...When do we have to register by?

And how does the downwind thing work on Sun. ? Can anyone ride.?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: