Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Toxic Water

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
carlitos

Since 02 Feb 2006
81 Posts
NE pdx

PostWed Aug 02, 06 10:32 am    Toxic Water Reply with quote

kinda scary topic. here's another story...

today is the 4th day of a high (102) fever which started after ingesting some sweet sauvies water last week. after getting yarded a half dozen times, i got some nasty river junk in me through the nose, mouth, ears and maybe a few other places too.

after a reluctant visit to the hospital on monday, and a thorough exam, the doctor asked if i had been in the columbia recently. shocked by the question, i immediately new where he was going and proceeded to tell him about the some great kiting out at sauvies for the last 5 or so days prior to the onset of the fever. he couldn't find any other signs of the flu or any other "normal" virus indicators, so i left the hospital with a bottle of advil and a diagnosis of "columbia river bacterial virus infection"! probably carried in from the ship's ballast tanks which get dumped to enter the shallow channel!

anyways, my fever is gone now, but i would not wish this crap on anybody. i know we are not going to stop kiting at sauvies, at least not me, but shit, be careful not to swallow.

see ya back at the beach,
bling-bling

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostWed Aug 02, 06 10:51 am     Reply with quote

i got a pretty serious ear infection after a break down at sauvies two weeks ago. i had to swim in to shore and it took about 40 minutes. that night, my right ear clogged up and i got a serious migraine. coughing up flem until 2 am. went to the doctor and pretty much got the same comments.

not a pretty site at all. took about two weeks to get my hearing back.

so yeah, be careful for sure.

kt

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostWed Aug 02, 06 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

Is there someone that monitors the water quality in the rivers around here? I've seen a table that outlines water quality in different spots in the San Francisco bay. Might be interesting to see what we're dealing with.

For now I guess try to keep your holes plugged during face plants.

Glad you guys are back in shape again.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Aug 02, 06 12:42 pm    Beaver Fever!!! Reply with quote

Getting sick from natural water bodies is really not that unusual. Prestine water bodies, river and lakes, can produce some of the worst fevers and intestinal issues. Some of the issues you guys are having could be from human influence but know that it could easily be natural as well. windsurfers and now kiters have been 'complaining' about stuff like this for years.

I've had may fair share Shocked Very Happy

like you said...best to just keep your holes shut and try not to get yarded to bad Wink

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Aug 02, 06 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

I had some GI tract issues and my doctor said it was unlikely from the river water.. giardia and the like are just really diluted. It can't be stellar for ya but then again, what is?

I finally wrote it off as a fire on the mountain dinner that became fire on the bung-hole.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed Aug 02, 06 5:00 pm     Reply with quote

Heh I live right by fire on the mountain. I've had fire of the bunghole a couple of times.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Aug 03, 06 7:55 am    MMMMMMMM Reply with quote

Now that sounds good ???? Rolling Eyes

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Aug 03, 06 8:45 am     Reply with quote

The best nose plug you will ever own.

In 2001, a couple of guys in the pacific northwest became dissatisfied with the quality and fit of the nose plugs available on the market. They decided that we could make a more functional and better quality nose plug.

http://www.seatasea.com/en-us/dept_328.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: