Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Winter Kite/Windsurf Trip--Where?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 16, 06 5:28 am    Winter Kite/Windsurf Trip--Where? Reply with quote

Hood River family of 4 looking for a two week sailing trip. Both parents are accomplished, 10 year old is in straps and up on a plane in 15 to 25 mph in the main channel of the Columbia River. 7 year old is also able to sail in the main river, starting to hook in, but not on a plane.

Where should we go for warm, flatish water where 10 year old can work on planning gybes, 7 yr old on hooking in and leaning back? If dad can kite there that's a bonus. We would rent sailing gear (I think?). Travel times would be around Thanksgiving, Xmas, or possible late March.

If you are still awake, chime-in please! Note--La Ventana is too swelly for my youngest.

Eric

endoshred

Since 22 May 2006
232 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostSun Jul 16, 06 6:12 am    re: trip Reply with quote

try margarita venezuela. shallow, flat water, great wind. kite or sail. go in march.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Jul 16, 06 6:54 am    S.Padre Island Reply with quote

you won't find more benign conditions

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 16, 06 9:56 am     Reply with quote

I hear the Outer Banks in NC is good. It might be to cold that time of year though.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 16, 06 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

thanksgiving, xmas, march, huh?

cozumel is a great flatwater sail, with some waves for the adults. flatwater conditions with sailable winds during our two weeks there last jan averaged about 50% of days, flatwater + waves (wind direction thing) averaged about 80- 90 % of days. contact adrian at kiteboard cozumel. adrian alone is worth the price of admission, and he is also a tremendous island resource and cool guy. . .

holbox island is another yucatan treat, been there around christmas, and with certain wind conditions a spot knows as isla passion opens up (man,, every mexican island i've been on has a passion island-wuwt?) flat water, warm, beautiful, cheap, topless euro beauties.

agree hatteras and south texas are far better in the fall and spring when its warmer. . .

jimmi

odyssey

Since 19 Jun 2006
37 Posts
Sun Valley, ID

PostSun Jul 16, 06 4:25 pm    Maybe an option? Reply with quote

You could check out http://www.offshoreodysseys.com which is operating "The Best Odyssey". Might be more of a commitment than you're looking for but we are kid friendly and sometimes sail to pretty tame locations. I'm in Hood for the summer if you'd like to get my thoughts.

206-239-8205.

Cheers,

Gavin

As seen in Kiteboarding, Kiteboarder, and Kiteworld
 As seen in Kiteboarding, Kiteboarder, and Kiteworld  Odyssey_Best-Background.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: