Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

ikite Or man, do i really pay money for this shayte?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 12, 06 5:23 pm    ikite Or man, do i really pay money for this shayte? Reply with quote

can anyone tell me why ikite will list a gven knot prediction for a site, like "floras lake 5-7", this in the meteorgram, and then in the Extended Wind Forcast (in the verbage offerred by the meteorogist/weather guesser) that may read something like "southern coast 12-15kts" for the same day?

tell me grandfather, what is the secret to making money in this life?
"excellent qiuestion grasshopper: advertise the moon and stars but sell crap to americans". . .

ah, so...

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostWed Jul 12, 06 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

It's because one is a computer generated model forecast, while the other has been looked at by a meteorologist. The model forecasts always tend to under-estimate the wind strength, so go with the text forecast for a more realistic prediction of what is likely to happen.

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 12, 06 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with the lizard, but would add that the accuracy of the meteorologist varies quite a bit as well. George is the man, he is usually right on, too bad iwindsurf bought him, he used to have a free web-site.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 12, 06 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

i guess i don't understand why they don't adjust their computer algorithms if the computer model is always less... i've just about given up on ikitesurf...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 13, 06 7:09 am     Reply with quote

IWindsurf is invaluable for their sensor network and WAP interface. Their narrative forecast is nice to have, but I use it only as one reference, I always check NOAA as well.

You never really know what your going to get around here. Do they really know that between 4-6pm its going to between 18-22knots at one particular spot? No... I am not sure why they even try to estimate it. McClean's old forecast was better than that I think, 15-20, 20-25, etc..

When you talk to guys on the beach, espoecially the guys who've been around since windsurfing day, there are 4 levels:

1) dead
2) light
3) good
4) nuking

Just plan for everything and have a kite quiver that covers you 10knots-30.

Also keep an eye on the clouds and where they are (especially how far they go west to east in the Gorge) that will usually tell you a lot about what the wind will be like.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Jul 13, 06 7:17 am    That's wut I think too Reply with quote

how do you get I kite to stop billing ??
MESOWEST has all the info and we already paid for it (taxes)

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 13, 06 8:20 am     Reply with quote

Just log-in to ikitesurf and cancel your subscription. If you intially signed up for a year though your going to get hosed.

I initially didn't dig ikitesurf that much but since they got a better meaterologist and I set-up the cell phone DL of info I love it. I can log-in with my cell phone and get all the current info and the forescast while I'm sitting in traffic, in a meeting, or racing home to grab my gear.

I really don't know why people complain about the cost. It's $14 dollars a month people, and that is with the downloadable cell phone option.
People will spend $1,200 on a piece of nylon and then gripe about .50 a day.

To each his own, ikitesurf, ikitesuck, whatever you want to call it, its a pretty cool service.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Jul 13, 06 10:54 am    no need Reply with quote

I have no need for the service and I don't pay $1200 for kites anymore ,I'm a Besty now ,i get 3 kites for that dough
the ass time in traffic is very low in the hinterlands ,the forecast for Florence never in 6 yrs match the actuals
Oh and 2 guys seem to pretty much tell everyone what to do on the forum,
both pimpin
better info here and more diversity at least in my mind

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jul 13, 06 10:59 am     Reply with quote

Bummer about the forecast in florence. There are allot of options up here for us Gorgians so sometimes its nice to see whats going on all over.

I hear you though, this forum is great for the current info as well. Kudos to all those getting the word out ahead of time!!

skydiveblake

Since 28 Jun 2006
63 Posts
San Diego

PostThu Jul 13, 06 8:45 pm    pdxmonkey Reply with quote

Dude, your avatar is extremely disturbing.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Jul 14, 06 8:11 am    the forecast is perfect Reply with quote

we get folks showing up all the time expecting light wind and then the fun begins (for us),
It can pick rather fast here, ha ha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: