Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT (kinda) How to upload pics on NW?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
261 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 02, 10 10:06 am    OT (kinda) How to upload pics on NW? Reply with quote

I can't seem to upload any pics to the forum/classifieds. I choose a file and it says it's an empty file??? When I know its not. I am a Mac user (not a very good one) and I have tried putting them on the desktop and getting them straight from iphoto. Still nada. While I'm at it how do you put you tube and other links directly in the message? Every time I try it only seems to have a link. I usually have some very witty and funny things to add to other peoples posts but my computardation kicks in and I get too frustrated and I stomp away crying like a little girl. Anyway thanks for any advice that doesn't include going to f@#$ myself.

Youkai

Since 08 Feb 2010
553 Posts
Beaverton
Addicted

PostThu Sep 02, 10 11:26 am     Reply with quote

I'm not on a mac so I can't promise this is the issue but my guess would be that you are trying to upload an image that is not in the correct format or perhaps doesn't have the extension. If it is missing the extension that might cause issues with the forum software and it would definitely cause issues on windows machines.

To do a youtube link in the video you click on the "YouTube" button above the text entry box and it will add the opening youtube tag. Then paste the URL immediately after it. Then add a closing tag to match the opening but with a "/" before the "Y" in youtube so like this [youtube]YouTubeURL[/youtube] EX:

Link

Make sure it is on it's own line with no other text on it.

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
261 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 02, 10 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

thanks.

Link

Last edited by windpig on Thu Sep 02, 10 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

dancingwind

Since 18 Jul 2007
321 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 02, 10 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Youkai wrote:
I'm not on a mac so I can't promise this is the issue but my guess would be that you are trying to upload an image that is not in the correct format or perhaps doesn't have the extension. If it is missing the extension that might cause issues with the forum software and it would definitely cause issues on windows machines.

[.

Makes sense. Also make sure your mac and related apps are updated. You can always make an appointment with the Genius Bar at a Mac store. It's a free service that Apple provides for it's customers!

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Youkai

Since 08 Feb 2010
553 Posts
Beaverton
Addicted

PostThu Sep 02, 10 2:28 pm     Reply with quote

windpig it looks like you missed the ] on your opening youtube tag. Edit your post and try again.

windpig

Since 28 Aug 2008
261 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 02, 10 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet, Thanks. Now, watch out cuz, I'm gonna find some funny stuff. If I can remember how to do all that.

Tommy

Since 12 Apr 2009
225 Posts
Gorbachev sings tractors: Turnip! Buttocks!
Stoked

PostThu Sep 02, 10 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

I'm on a Mac as well, and here's what I do. If I want to post a photo I found online, such as a random Ed Grimley photo, I'll hunt down the photo online, copy the URL of that photo to my clipboard, then click Img, then paste my photo's URL, then click Img again, like this (hitting return before the first img tag; if you want an extra line of space, hit return twice, like I've done here):

Then hit return again, to add another line of space between the photo and the text you're reading now, such as I've just done. If I want to upload a photo of my own, such as a photo of Hurricane Earl, I first save it on my desktop. But I do *not* try to upload it from iPhoto... Not really sure how to do that, even if I wanted to... I hit choose file down below the "add an attachment" bar, select said saved photo from my desktop, then click the add attachment box. This will put the photo just above the signature text, and automatically add a line of space between the text you're reading now and said photo (see Hurricane Earl photo above my Walt Whitman quote; Btw, love your Ed Abbey quote!). Btw, if you do it this way, then hit preview, the attached photo will show up below your signature text in the preview. When you post however, it will be above the signature text. Following these instructions, formats and file extensions should not be an issue. Hope this helps...

Earl.jpg 

Last edited by Tommy on Thu Sep 02, 10 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tommy

Since 12 Apr 2009
225 Posts
Gorbachev sings tractors: Turnip! Buttocks!
Stoked

PostThu Sep 02, 10 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

Posting an online video, using the video's URL (such as you would do with a Youtube video), is basically the same process I used to post my Ed Grimley photo, but you would use the "YouTube" tags instead of the "Img" tags. Although looking at your post above, it looks like you've got this more or less worked out. As for posting a video you've made yourself... Well, good luck, I have no idea how to do that...

gymshoe

Since 19 Aug 2007
29 Posts

PostMon Aug 27, 12 10:02 am    Problems uploading photos to classified. Reply with quote

I am also on a Mac OS10.6(Safari 5.1.7), and have the same issue reported by windpig - when I try to upload a photo it hangs for a long long time, and then eventually it tells me I have tried to upload a file which is "empty" (which it isn't).

I have tried: jpg, gif, png files from 450k-3.6meg in size (all acceptable per NWkite info) without success.

Windpig never said whether he got the uploads to work.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,
jim

gymshoe

Since 19 Aug 2007
29 Posts

PostMon Aug 27, 12 10:46 am     Reply with quote

Seems to be a Mac/Safari thing. I used VMFusion on the Mac to launch windows and Explorer had no problems uploading the pics...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: