Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

river sinus funk
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Jul 10, 06 9:47 am    river sinus funk Reply with quote

every summer i get some gunk/tickle/mucus that hangs in my sinuses for weeks.

i know it's from the columbia.

anybody know of a preventative sinus spray or something to get rid of it?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jul 10, 06 9:59 am     Reply with quote

Very good chance its from the Poolumbia. Of course it could also be allergys. You should get checked out. If its every year, my guess is allergy.

www.naishkites.com

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Jul 10, 06 10:03 am     Reply with quote

Hey Lance,

I always get a two bottle supply of perscription Nasonex (Steroidal) each spring. Take it religously until the supply is gone and with it the damn River Sinus Funk... I have been playing in the river for fifteen years now and still each spring get nailed hard by that plauge.

When it really gets to me, I just go to the central coast and get a good dose of Newport/Florence.

Good luck, Jon

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Jul 10, 06 10:06 am     Reply with quote

Don't have the gunk problem but I feel it behind my eyes after I blast several gallons of columbia cocktail up the schnoz (thinks they are gonna pop out) Sinus Advil works pretty well for me - can be a pain to get (everyone sells it but you have to register with the pharmacy -since it the drug of choice for Meth cooks.)

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 10, 06 10:10 am    Re: river sinus funk Reply with quote

iON! wrote:
every summer i get some gunk/tickle/mucus that hangs in my sinuses for weeks.

i know it's from the columbia.

anybody know of a preventative sinus spray or something to get rid of it?

Blast your nose out with "Ocean solution" after a river session.
It’s available at any pharmacy.

It's simply saline however it does a very good job at killing the pollens etc. that create river nose.

JP

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 10, 06 10:13 am     Reply with quote

You can also flush daily with saline nasal spray (found in a little white bottle on the cold/sinus medicine aisle of your favorite market) to keep the sinuses flushed out & moisturized.

If an infection develops, you will probably need something stronger.

I bet that high octane white ‘snorting’ tequila would do the job!! Wink

Edited: looks like JP beat me to the saline spray remedy. These work emails are really slowing me down...

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 10, 06 11:10 am     Reply with quote

Damn you have to put your name down for that shit now? How am I gonna cook up a batch of meth now? Lance if you get some hook it up!

Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 06 11:29 am     Reply with quote

I have horrible allergies and I went to DR Baker in Seattle and told him My allergies were going nutz in the summer and I thout it was from the river.......

Zrytec, shoot up with flonase once a day.........on bad days, get ASTELIN. I haven't been sick since, but just like the product that JP recomended, ASTELIN is a steroid and I have named it NOSE CRACK. but the shiz works.

sg Very Happy Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

TWIN-FIN

Since 24 May 2006
805 Posts
Portland, OR
Hot Monkey

PostMon Jul 10, 06 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Kiteform has a similar post right now.
I also suffer from the dreaded stuffyness, if left unatteded turns into a sinus infection. With the sinus infection it will put you out for a week and you wont even care about kiting.....That'a how bad it is.

Appearently it's caused by bacteria found in fresh water. Doesn't seem to occure in sea water?????

Anyway, the solutions are a follows:
1) Quite kiting in fresh water (ya right, like that's going to happen)
2) Flush your sinus cavity with a saline solution to kill any fresh water bacteria.
3) Wear a nose plug. I see lots of guys wearing them...Now I know why.

Good luck with the nose and keep kiting.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 06 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

Let me be a bit more clear...... go to the alergy doc, they have shiz for river nose. Shocked

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 06 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

don't "sniffle" it back in like a dirty, mucus retentive, glue eating pre-schooler. farmer-blow it out! on the water, on the beach, around town, or in the office, doesn't matter--blow it out with a vengeance, no matter how uncivilized.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 06 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

Well said Gabe....Well said Wink

h2olm

Since 07 Jun 2006
124 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 10, 06 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

I usually get the river funk in the nose each year as well, but it has never been as bad as it has been this season. All of the suggested remedies sound like they work well for the nasal problems. However, this year I have come accross a really bad ear infection as well (never had one before in my life). Does anyone have any suggestions for how to protect the inside of the ears while out on the Columbia? I know last week we had some nuclear winds, but no one said anything about the nuclear water. I hope the stuff from Hanford has not made it downstream in this year's high runoff.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 10, 06 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

go to the alergy doctor......Listen my friends..........alergy doc fix it. Even ears. Just suck it up. Even if you don't have insurance and have to pay out of pocket, alergy meds aren't that much!!!!!!1 Razz

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon Jul 10, 06 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

I've got it too. It seems to mess with my inner ear as well as stuffy nose. Not bad enough to stop the music though!!!!

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 10, 06 10:29 pm     Reply with quote

After 15 yrs on the river, this year I also have a nasal situation. For you guys with an ear infection, put in each ear a 50% alcohol 50% white vinegar solution with an eye dropper or have a friend use a spoon. Lay on the ground and leave it in for a few minutes and roll your head around. Then shake it out. The alcohol cleans, sterilizes and dries your ear and the vinegar tones down the alcohol. I've turned many a friend on to the ear fix my family has used for years, it works.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostMon Jul 10, 06 10:49 pm    the funk Reply with quote

I,m so sorry .......i thought that my new wet suit would filter that shit out ...I was up river a while ago ..then been down here ever since guess it lingerd Twisted Evil also it travels up river as well .. Laughing Laughing Laughing Troll..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: