Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waroo adjustments?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Jul 05, 06 10:05 am    Waroo adjustments? Reply with quote

After perusing the Best web page I find that there are several adjustments for the Waroo.
Which adjustments have you all been making?

Anyone making the modification to F-a and F-c Bridle lines?

What "knot" are u riding? (rear steering lines)?

Thanks in advance.
mark

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 05, 06 10:16 am     Reply with quote

Here's my formula:

- Pump it hard.

- Rig to the last knot on the rears (most rear line length) unless its light then rig one knot in.

- I don't touch the depower strap unless its nukin windy and/or I want to do unhooked stuff.

- Hands in the center of the bar.

- Full power is pulled in all the way to the chicken loop, usually I am riding with the bar about 3 inches up the line from the chicken loop.

I haven't touched the bridle since mine was a post-mod serial number.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostWed Jul 05, 06 10:20 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Phil,
I assume mine must have the mod done as well.

I also see you can adjust the bridle knots to change the pivot point. You can make the kite fly more like a "c" kite or make it "slide" like a bow. Has anyone played with this?

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 05, 06 10:36 am     Reply with quote

I was thinking about it Mark and you might like to ride with the bar further out since your arms are longer, so you might try the one knot in method.

broadbandito

Since 26 Apr 2005
342 Posts
CSO headwaters
WheatHead

PostWed Jul 05, 06 11:22 am     Reply with quote

No harm in trying the different bridle knots to see what you like. I use 2nd from back.

Also, it makes sense cinch the lark's head right over the bridle knot so it doesn't slide between knots in gusty conditions (assuming the whole kite and bar don't expode like fireworks on you anyway).

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 05, 06 11:36 am    Re: Waroo adjustments? Reply with quote

Quote:
After perusing the Best web page I find that there are several adjustments for the Waroo.
Which adjustments have you all been making?

Anyone making the modification to F-a and F-c Bridle lines?

What "knot" are u riding? (rear steering lines)?

Thanks in advance.
mark

check the seriel number first..
kites built after ~5500 have the mods already incorporated.

John B, can you confirm?

jp

ps. 9m closest to the kite
7m, 2 away from the kite Wink

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 05, 06 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks Phil,
I assume mine must have the mod done as well.

I also see you can adjust the bridle knots to change the pivot point. You can make the kite fly more like a "c" kite or make it "slide" like a bow. Has anyone played with this?

yup! pivoty in the waves & swell = Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

jjp

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostWed Jul 05, 06 12:36 pm     Reply with quote

Mark,
Your kite should already have the mod, since mine did and they came in the same batch. I have been flying the 3 knot in from the bottom, but then again I do adjust the depower strap depending on conditions.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostWed Jul 05, 06 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Kodiak wrote:
Mark,
Your kite should already have the mod, since mine did and they came in the same batch. I have been flying the 3 knot in from the bottom, but then again I do adjust the depower strap depending on conditions.

Yeah thats how I set mine up as well. I was wondering if there were any other adjustments I should know about.

www.naishkites.com

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Jul 05, 06 3:16 pm     Reply with quote

I have a 7,9,12 waroo quiver and am flying all of mine on the 3rd knot from the bottom. I have found that this gives the kite a little better low end, but if you are going to unhook you need to pull the depower strap down about an inch or she'll back fly in a lull. Just spend some time playing around and you'll find what works for you.
Bandito

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 05, 06 3:41 pm     Reply with quote

i have not yet experimented with the slide/traction setting. i don't want more bar pressure, and i don't think i want less power in the turns, but i would like to try the slide setting. i haven't cared enough to waste session time fussing with it yet. most people use the default, and best chose it b/c they think it's best. since the kite is new, this isn't a setting i would worry about. i think the main thing is getting used to sheeting the kite. i talked to you at stevenson yesterday--if you want a high wind kite for the gorge, a pretty clear consensus is that the 9 is too big.

honestly, i just don't understand why everyone obsesses about what # knot they use... this all varies by bar, and lines, and trim system etc. i don't think everyone has the same setup, and even if they do i don't trust it's exactly the same. just like any kite i rig it so when the trim is fully powered up, i can oversheet a good couple inches, and then i can trim on the water to however is best at any point. sorry, but i've seen too many posts of "i put it on x knot like you said, and when i pull the bar in the kite just flaps and the rear lines are loose. this kite must be defective." hello!

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostWed Jul 05, 06 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

Whatever knot you use to connect your rear lines is a tradeoff for depowering range. If the wind is light I connect to the knots closer to the kite, if it's really windy the knots further away. I usually split the difference and use the third or fourth knot

As for the turn adjustment knots, I tried em all and like the middle the just fine, the "bow" style setting sucked IMO, couldn't jump worth a bean, just took alot of zing out of the kite. The "C" style setting wasn't much different from the middle, a tad more pull while turning, more effort needed on the bar to turn the kite

Mike S

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostWed Jul 05, 06 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

Good info everyone!
Where is everyone connecting their safety leash?

www.naishkites.com

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 05, 06 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

mike's right about that, but if you have a TD style system you can set it up where you have almost unlimited depower--no matter where the knots are. but, you have a really long trim line dangling then--that's what i try to avoid. i memorize the right knot for my setup per kite, and then might adjust by 1, if i am certain i will be on an extreme of the range and want to optimize flexiblity for that. the thing to realize is that oversheeted and depowered positions depend on how strong the wind is.... the fact that you can fully luff the kite in 15 kts, doesn't mean you still can in 30... it takes a couple sessions to learn which knot can cover the whole range. but really, it's no different from any other kite from my perspective--it just makes the settings matter more.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 05, 06 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Good info everyone!
Where is everyone connecting their safety leash?

i bagged the one they sent and got one from slingshot, connected it from the chicken loop to my harness.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: