Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

I am done with unleashed dogs at the Event Site
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Jul 30, 10 8:20 am    Hood River Animal Control Reply with quote

I'm a dog owner. Dog is my copilot, but I put Scout on a leash. In fact Scout carries it himself.
I also pick up his poop in little bags and place those little prizes in the trash.
It's risky for Scout, my dog, to be out on the beach. He likes to fetch slippers that usually don't belong to me. It's funny but I have to take walks and find owners with one slipper.
I'm guilty of not putting scout on a leash all of the time, but I'm not negligent. It's not fair to a dog, or a kid, to leave them unnatended on a busy kite beach. Sure, its fun and they love it, but they could get hurt if caught up in a line, or cause some canopy damage.
Somebody needs to make time to take their dog's for a proper walk that doesn't include a neglicted run on the spit.
**FYI, I saw Hood River County Animal Control yesterday at the Event Site. Did anybody else see that little truck?
~Ron

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostFri Jul 30, 10 8:36 am    Re: Hood River Animal Control Reply with quote

bulae99 wrote:
I'm a dog owner. Dog is my copilot, but I put Scout on a leash. In fact Scout carries it himself.
I also pick up his poop in little bags and place those little prizes in the trash.
It's risky for Scout, my dog, to be out on the beach. He likes to fetch slippers that usually don't belong to me. It's funny but I have to take walks and find owners with one slipper.
I'm guilty of not putting scout on a leash all of the time, but I'm not negligent. It's not fair to a dog, or a kid, to leave them unnatended on a busy kite beach. Sure, its fun and they love it, but they could get hurt if caught up in a line, or cause some canopy damage.
Somebody needs to make time to take their dog's for a proper walk that doesn't include a neglicted run on the spit.
**FYI, I saw Hood River County Animal Control yesterday at the Event Site. Did anybody else see that little truck?
~Ron

Ron, you are like the majority of dog owners I have seen - responsible. Unfortunately there are a few that are irresponsible that ruin it for everyone else - it sucks, but just the way it is.

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 30, 10 9:12 am     Reply with quote

I pee'd on a guys kite boots... was that wrong?? Shocked Shocked Very Happy

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostFri Jul 30, 10 9:19 am     Reply with quote

Not trying to stir the pot but I doubt the people whos dogs are running around off leash causing problems read this forum.

I love taking my dog to the beach but when I plan on kiting she doesn't come or she goes in the car.

It's a major shame that a few bad owners screw it up for everyone else.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Jul 30, 10 9:30 am    Let's build a kennel on this spit!!LOL Dog Jail!! Reply with quote

Yep, it's the bad apple and you're right. What if we build a temporary "Dog Habitat" on the spit?

LMAO I can see it now...LOL

Very Happy

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Jul 30, 10 10:26 am     Reply with quote

For a while I was carrying rope and a knife to tie up dogs. Then everyone stopped kiting at the Sandbar and went to the event site... Problem solved.

mikeinhoodriver

Since 23 Apr 2009
389 Posts
down wind somewhere
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 30, 10 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
For a while I was carrying rope and a knife to tie up dogs. Then everyone stopped kiting at the Sandbar and went to the event site... Problem solved.

Is that the official CGKA solution? Wink

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri Jul 30, 10 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

Spray your kite with that animal repellent stuff Very Happy

kitemare

Since 23 Mar 2010
265 Posts
Seattle, wa
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 30, 10 7:11 pm     Reply with quote

dancingwind wrote:
A dog attacked a buddy's kite last week and put 2 holes in it! He saw the dog doing it, called animal control, they arrived with in 15 minutes. Impounded the dog and end of story! I agree it's not the dog but the owner that needs impounding!

I personally see this as a possible safety issue. Imagine this scenario; you just finished pumping your kite at the event site, you leave your kite and go back to your car to change, grab your bar and board....etc. While a way a dog runs over your kite and puts a few holes in it. You come back to your kite and grab it, not knowing that you've just acquired a few holes, and head out to the sand bar to rig (I'm truly hoping that a good samaritan will inform you of the incident before you head out!!!). You get on the water, do a jump and suddenly your kite rips and falls from the sky with you under it!! That's the worse case scenario and I hope it never happens to anyone but it paints a picture of a grim possibility.

I love dogs to death, but not necessarily their owners. And most keep their dogs on a leash, it's just the few rouge ones that we've got to watch out for! Just like Eric mentioned our play gear is not cheap and we have to protect it. It's a good idea to have the Animal control number handy. I also wonder if putting up more and bigger dog leash signs would help stress the importance of leashing!!

Got a worse scenerio that actually happened to me last year.

I was out on the sandbar getting ready for a launch, someone had my kite in their hands and I had my thumb up ready for them to let go, right before the guy let go, this big lab size dog ran straight through my lines getting tangled in them, campletely wrapped up. Luckily the guy hadn't let go of my kite and the dog was freed. But had that been a second later, alot worse things could have happened. Just my experience in the matter.

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 30, 10 10:09 pm     Reply with quote

I'm a dog owner...been for years. Having your dog on the kite beach is just ridiculous. Co-pilot, my shadow, oh my sweet perfect dog...leave your freaking dog at home or in a crate near your rig in the shade with water. Good Grief!

Pathetic.

M.

PS. Carry a bag and pick up their poo for them and toss it on their kite? Them? In their sandals? Harsh I know....

LVDWD

Since 04 May 2009
103 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 31, 10 4:40 pm    Dogs at the Event Site Reply with quote

Re the last post in thread-thats what happened to me today, but my board was off the kite and I saw the holes. Thought it was the fin on the board but later someone said that it was more than likely a dog--the three holes were in the form of a paw print.
Posted earlier re this in response to Erics later post on the subject.

Not sure we will get all dogs on a leash but we should push for this. In the meantime I will pump and go and deflate my kite wet and soon as I get back.

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostSat Jul 31, 10 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

Oh Ron....... scout is never on a leash

gorgebob

Since 25 Jun 2007
259 Posts
Portland, OR
Shop Owner

PostSat Jul 31, 10 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

I am surprised the Port hasn't cracked down on those loose puppies. Their is money to be made having to spring your spaniel from the slammer .
Portland
503-246-6646

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSat Jul 31, 10 7:49 pm    Yea, he heels and carrys his own. Reply with quote

LOL,

KimSoderholm

Since 12 Aug 2009
102 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 31, 10 8:00 pm     Reply with quote

Was it this lil' guy???

Come get some!!!
 Come get some!!!  images.jpeg 

Algo Sucedio

Since 31 Jul 2010
8 Posts

Kook

PostSat Jul 31, 10 9:23 pm    Will it ever end? Reply with quote

I was pumping up at kite beach last year. Two dogs came running and jumping right on my kite. A girl who is a kiter clamed the dogs and said “take it to Airtime and I’ll pay. The problem is, when I was ready to trade up to new kites I found my repaired kite lost half its value. I lost $150.00 in lost value beyond the repair cost.
This year with 5 rides on my new kite, at the Event Site, a small puppy ran right over my kite. Pretty sure the people to whom the dog belonged where kiters too. I asked if they would consider leashing there dog now that it has a history of kite abuse. Will they?

Godlike

Since 25 Sep 2008
111 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 01, 10 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Dog owners: most are irrational when it concerns there pet.

It is common decency to pick up after your pet, if not on a leash how can you know were to pick it up.

I would be insisting on a new kite, and call the police, that is damage to a $1000 + dollar property.

Anyone been bitten yet?

Last edited by Godlike on Sun Aug 01, 10 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: