Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

LOCALISM(it's ugly) lot's of sandbars on the beach
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Jul 02, 06 8:36 am    LOCALISM(it's ugly) lot's of sandbars on the beach Reply with quote

I hear more and more talk about not mentioning when it's good ,
I guess our wind sport brothers are really out unless the are known by the locals (NO WONDER THE LOCALS ARE DISSED),

Come to the beach there is plenty for all ,and yes I saw how it was in the 80's when you couldn't find a place to park at the jetty ,but is worth being hateful ?
HATE to me is a very strong word, come on down and play by my rules
FUN FOR ALL OR EAT SHIT!!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Jul 02, 06 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

When I was out there yesterday, it wasn't so much the 'localism' that was bugging me, but rather these idiots trying to ride in close to the parking lot through the little stream and crashing their kites down on people rigging/walking/etc. where the wind's all fluky. How stupid do you have to be to self-land on the inside where there's 200 people via pulling an "Oh Shit" handle? FUCKIN' RETARDS

That's why I left and headed out a lil' further east! Lighter wind, but not so many stupid mothafuckas around! Cool

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 02, 06 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

Thats how the sandbar is almost always. Im not trying to sound like a local or whatever, Im down with anyone coming out here to ride. But if you are going to come out here and then just start complaining about how things are, im glad you left.

Besides I bet the lighter winds out east were way better anyways, the wind at the sandbar has been SHIT!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Jul 02, 06 9:23 pm     Reply with quote

Blowhard - no offense but you are like 6 hours from civilization and have tons of beach and water! I wouldn't be worried about localism there either. Very Happy

The sandbar is what it is, and I just think its hilarious. A couple of us passed on through after a long downwinder, and I got the hell out of there as fast as I could. Hopefully its just this bad because of the limited land and long weekend.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Jul 02, 06 9:30 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, the first part of the downwinder was awesome, then after swell/the hatch it was like kiting on the freeway. I couldn't believe how many people were out this weekend.

With the sandbar the way it is now, I think it is just waiting for a major accident to happen.

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostSun Jul 02, 06 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

Kodiak wrote:

With the sandbar the way it is now, I think it is just waiting for a major accident to happen.

so sketch with the many people it's only a matter of time.

how many users were over at the marina i wonder... shit we should own that- at least for every other day?

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 02, 06 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

Today a someone lost their kite after they launched it and it flew over the jetty into the marina. I dont know how the port will judge things like that? Is it a reason to ban kiting? Or is it a reason to change the areas that are designated for certain things?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostSun Jul 02, 06 10:31 pm     Reply with quote

even if the sandbar comes back tomorrow, the reality is kitboarding is growing.

we need better facilities here in Hood River.

if the port can't realize the economic value than perhaps the issue of saftey will.

but will it happen before or after someone gets hurt?

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostMon Jul 03, 06 8:31 am    Fer sure Reply with quote

Hey if the it wasn't for pros pimping the locale,most wouldn't know shit, so as far as industry goes it's good business to let your customers know what the situation is ,however this site doesn't seem to me to be where you would post when drumming up some biz.
And if you don't think there is localism on the Oregon coast where there is limited access to a wave think again ,I hear it all the time ,because I pimp Florence just to have someone to ride with but the (not so)locals don't like it
However everyone gives the right o way to me (because I always give it up to them)

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 03, 06 8:43 am     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
Today a someone lost their kite after they launched it and it flew over the jetty into the marina.

Yeah - I was over at the marina chillin with my girlfriend when that kite came flying over, so I jumped up to help get it. There were alot of very little kids in the water just 20 - 30 feet downwind of where some guy snagged it. I confronted the guy when he came over to get the kite (smaller asian dude), and he said that there wasn't a leash attached to the kite. This particular guy had been ridin pretty unsafe at the spit all week-end. - C

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 03, 06 10:05 am     Reply with quote

let's face reality this is a really fun thing to do and SLE's are going to make it less painfull and scary to learn. more people are going to pick it up and there are going to be more kites out there no matter who posts what.

IF THE SPORT DOESN'T GROW THE GEAR WON'T GET BETTER. so have a cheerfull smile for your brother kiter and don't hassle anyone for saying anything please.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Jul 03, 06 10:15 am     Reply with quote

"Whateva, whateva, I do what I want!" Cool

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostMon Jul 03, 06 11:25 am     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:
Inept_Fun wrote:
Today a someone lost their kite after they launched it and it flew over the jetty into the marina.

Yeah - I was over at the marina chillin with my girlfriend when that kite came flying over, so I jumped up to help get it. There were alot of very little kids in the water just 20 - 30 feet downwind of where some guy snagged it. I confronted the guy when he came over to get the kite (smaller asian dude), and he said that there wasn't a leash attached to the kite. This particular guy had been ridin pretty unsafe at the spit all week-end. - C

Yeah i saw the whole thing go down. Waroo rigged with a SS bar. Rider tried to water start, had the kite fully sheeted and it back flew right to the water right to the back of back in the window, it started to powered up and either he wasn't in chicken loop or he pulled his release and bye bye.

um use a kite leash please!

A note on Bows, as my good friend says "when in doubt/Sheet out" these kites will back fly.

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostMon Jul 03, 06 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

join the cgka and work with us to make access a priority with the port and the local business assc. !!! Follow the forums on meetings, show up and be heard!!! derek

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Jul 03, 06 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

Alright who's getting kicked in the nuttz first???

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jul 03, 06 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

Well maybe its a good thing that we have the forums so that kiters receive a public flogging when they break the safety rules? Very Happy

That might help... though I am sure there was probably a time when all of us did something kooky that wasn't so safe.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jul 03, 06 9:26 pm     Reply with quote

The sand bar is always full of stupid ass people. It's the nature of the place and probably one of the reasons that they don't want to open the port up to us.

What if that shit head let his kite go without leash on the marina beach? He would have taken out someone for sure. If some jack hole hits my 6yo son with a kite I am heading to the car for the 6 D cell mag lite.

I like the idea of public humilition. Get a good face pic of the guy, tell him you will post his pic on the forum and then we can roast him over an open flame Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: