Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Body surfing while attached to a kite.....
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 14, 10 11:10 am    Body surfing while attached to a kite..... Reply with quote

Last week I was kiting Manzo and my kite ripped as I was heading out over the last wave in the set. (ok, maybe i fell, maybe i crashed the kite).
I was able to keep the kite on the water and attemted to body drag into the beach. So far so good.
As I enetered the impact zone a big wave crashed over my kite. The kite prceeded to drag me underwater and pull me for 10 seconds (seemed like 10 minutes).
I could not get my arms down to harness to engage safety system, too much force, being pulled too fast.
As soon as I popped up, I engaged quick release (including the leash) to get away from the kite.
Lessons learned:
1. If you're in the surf and you are attached to a down kite be ready to pop the quick release. A wave crashing over the kite will pull you under in a hurry and you won't be able to do anything except ride it out.
2. The force of your body dragging on the kite will probably result in your kite being ripped to shreds (especially if you already have a small tear).
3. If you do eject, get away from the lines. A kite being dragged by a wave will pull the lines similar to being fully powered up.

Next time I have a kitemare in surf, I'll probably eject asap. It's not worth a life or limb to save a kite (it will probably float in anyway).

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jul 14, 10 11:55 am     Reply with quote

been there.

First, you need to watch this video: http://vimeo.com/2653992

If you have tried re-launching and your kite and its heading to the impact zone, for sure pull the emergency release and if its big, just jettison the whole damn package and prepare for a swim.

Last year I got pulled through the backside of a wave full on scorpion style because I didn't want to release. My back hurt for weeks afterwards. Your kite will probably drift to shore eventually.

Glad to hear you escaped unscathed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

stringer

Since 31 Jul 2007
694 Posts
Chucktown
Flying Tomato

PostWed Jul 14, 10 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

Been there too.
I was flagged on one line too and it still pulled me under.
Eventually I was able to release the kite, but those leashes that release when you pull in are terrible.
Kite made it in unscathed as did I.
Andre grabbed the kite on the shore and all I had was a mess of lines to take care of.

I know Gene has had some issues with stuff like this and getting tangled in the lines in the surf.
see: http://vimeo.com/8569101

This is why in HEAVY surf, a lot of guys don't even use kite leashes.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jul 14, 10 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

I've heard people talking about unhooking/releasing when there kite is down in the surf....

Usually it's about perserving the kite. Call me a puss...but any forces pushing me toward dry land in that situation are welcome...and if I rip a strut in the process...that's OK.

I stay hooked in so I can control the trim when getting the kite relaunched...when it flips up, if you can't push the bar out, it won't go! If I know it's about to get muched by a wave...I superman flag out my body to reduce drag and increase the distance I get pulled toward shore...maybe even freestyle storke my arms to further reduce drag.

Ditching your kite in small surf might be the thing to do for some people...but when there is a lot of water moving around, I don't recommend it...no guarantee your little arms are strong enough to paddle you in through the might Pacific soup. Keep some tesion in those lines and hang on!

broadbandito

Since 26 Apr 2005
342 Posts
CSO headwaters
WheatHead

PostWed Jul 14, 10 5:01 pm     Reply with quote

It may not have been possible in your situation, but given the time it seems like it's ideal to get your kite back in the air, if possible. Even if it's ripped it may rip more in the water, so if it will fly get it up and use it to escape the gnarl whitewater. Tea bagging can be glorious if you're outrunning monsters!

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Jul 14, 10 5:35 pm     Reply with quote

Thats always fun.....

When in that situation I unhook my leash first ( so I can release when needed ), then I try and relaunch, if that fails then hold on and if the pull becomes to much and I think the kite may rip up....release.

as a side note, Im sure I will get blasted for this as its seems to be unpopular in these circles, I wear my leash for this reason and many others.

cheers,

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jul 14, 10 9:24 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
I've heard people talking about unhooking/releasing when there kite is down in the surf....

Usually it's about perserving the kite. Call me a puss...but any forces pushing me toward dry land in that situation are welcome...and if I rip a strut in the process...that's OK.

I stay hooked in so I can control the trim when getting the kite relaunched...when it flips up, if you can't push the bar out, it won't go! If I know it's about to get muched by a wave...I superman flag out my body to reduce drag and increase the distance I get pulled toward shore...maybe even freestyle storke my arms to further reduce drag.

Ditching your kite in small surf might be the thing to do for some people...but when there is a lot of water moving around, I don't recommend it...no guarantee your little arms are strong enough to paddle you in through the might Pacific soup. Keep some tesion in those lines and hang on!

usually blow a panel if you hang on in the big stuff - like I did yesterday
1 disconnect
2 work on relaunch
3 scream "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" as kite takes direct hit
4 kite may survive if you just let it go
5 if you opt for aquaman one arm porpoise ride make sure not to put the safety clip thru your hand
6 think I went macking 50 yrds underwater before I slowed and came up (50 yrds closer to the beach - can be a fair trade...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostThu Jul 15, 10 12:46 am     Reply with quote

stringer wrote:
Been there too.
I was flagged on one line too and it still pulled me under.
Eventually I was able to release the kite, but those leashes that release when you pull in are terrible.
Kite made it in unscathed as did I.
Andre grabbed the kite on the shore and all I had was a mess of lines to take care of.

I know Gene has had some issues with stuff like this and getting tangled in the lines in the surf.
see: http://vimeo.com/8569101

This is why in HEAVY surf, a lot of guys don't even use kite leashes.

Haha, thanks for reminding me.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostThu Jul 15, 10 2:10 am    Re: Body surfing while attached to a kite..... Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Last week I was kiting Manzo and my kite ripped as I was heading out over the last wave in the set. (ok, maybe i fell, maybe i crashed the kite).
I was able to keep the kite on the water and attemted to body drag into the beach. So far so good.
As I enetered the impact zone a big wave crashed over my kite. The kite prceeded to drag me underwater and pull me for 10 seconds (seemed like 10 minutes).
I could not get my arms down to harness to engage safety system, too much force, being pulled too fast.
As soon as I popped up, I engaged quick release (including the leash) to get away from the kite.
Lessons learned:
1. If you're in the surf and you are attached to a down kite be ready to pop the quick release. A wave crashing over the kite will pull you under in a hurry and you won't be able to do anything except ride it out.
2. The force of your body dragging on the kite will probably result in your kite being ripped to shreds (especially if you already have a small tear).
3. If you do eject, get away from the lines. A kite being dragged by a wave will pull the lines similar to being fully powered up.

Next time I have a kitemare in surf, I'll probably eject asap. It's not worth a life or limb to save a kite (it will probably float in anyway).

there is no be ready to pull the quick release. If the force is full on you are f-ed. We had a guy break his back from that exact thing. A friend of mine got catapulted out of the water when the wave hit her kite...

that said, I am usually still hooked in when the wave hits...mostly I try to relaunch first...and by far my dearest helix gets up in time...

The lines will easily snap limbs off if tangled....I'm just trying to emphasize the importance of what you are saying. Smile

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jul 15, 10 11:14 am     Reply with quote

I respect the input from G as he spends his fair share of time in the rinse cycle! Laughing

But how do you "work on a relaunch" while unhooked? I can see getting it to flip up, but if I can't push the bar out to depower...my kite just sits there in 'ready' position.

I also find it a lot harder to swim back from the kite (AKA keep tension in my lines) or do anything, if I have to have one hand holding the bar.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostThu Jul 15, 10 11:31 am     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:

3 scream "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!" as kite takes direct hit

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I did a little swimming with the kite this week and was in the rip south of the Pistol mouth. I elected to stay hooked in as Slither suggests. The waves were smaller and I didn't think I could make the beach through the rip. I seriously felt the need to be attached to the kite and get yarded.

Gman-
Can you elaborate on point #5 - about the safety clip. Are you talking about the leash running through your fingers after you disconnect.

In bigger waves, I think I would think hard about doing the porpoise ride.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostThu Jul 15, 10 11:36 am    Re: Body surfing while attached to a kite..... Reply with quote

tautologies wrote:
If the force is full on you are f-ed. We had a guy break his back from that exact thing. A friend of mine got catapulted out of the water when the wave hit her kite...

that said, I am usually still hooked in when the wave hits...mostly I try to relaunch first...and by far my dearest helix gets up in time...

The lines will easily snap limbs off if tangled....I'm just trying to emphasize the importance of what you are saying. Smile

The back injury risk is very true. I used to always stay hooked in even on big days but now I let the kite go if it is big. I really hurt myself at Manzo and would rather swim in with a few pints of saltwater in my lungs than snap my back. In most cases I would rather deal with an injury than pay money for broken gear but not here anymore.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jul 15, 10 1:26 pm     Reply with quote

all good points...

even if you have time to unhook - have been dragged backwards undewater by the leash for a longway (i was bent forward - luckily - but there was no reaching the release on the harness against the force of the water - sort like a squid with your arms and legs flailing)

I'm pretty excited to get the kite back in the air - the chicken loop is usually out while I'm trying to reverse relaunch or try anything to get the kite oriented with some wind in it and I just grab the chicken line and hang on once in air (dont think about the board - track that down later...)

taut is right - the lines will kill you - work fast to tension them - if you have time to react

the paper clip attachment is on the slingshot kite leash once pulled - also be careful of grabbing caribners as Tucker can attest they are just like big blunt fish hooks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Jul 15, 10 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

Usually what ever water you and your kite are experiencing its best kept together for the safety of everyone in the water and on the beach in my opinion.

I stay in my loop as long as my kite looks unfouled and has the wind to re- launch ALL the way to the beach if needed.

I have swam through some huge stuff from the end of the jettys and my kite suffering is lower the list of the logistics of the survival situation.

Usually I get threatened then the kite gets it just as it almost relaunches then a couple more rounds and the kites up.

There is nothing more satisfying than getting beat up and then getting the soggy kite up and then doing some great turns on a tastey wave of redemption.

Alway better thaan swimming in and getting a chip on your shoulder.

If you need to release your kite you will know... the fear will tell you.

Accidents happen. You can't live your life fearing the worst in this sport.

If I lived my life waiting for M.S. to have its way with me not much else would get done.

And by the way the waves haven't been that big even you bunch of wimps.

I have had the currents challenge the swim more than the waves dragging a kite.

blah blah blah

You usually know what you need to do. SWIM with your head on strait.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2571 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Jul 15, 10 5:32 pm    Re: Body surfing while attached to a kite..... Reply with quote

barfly wrote:

The back injury risk is very true. I used to always stay hooked in even on big days but now I let the kite go if it is big. I really hurt myself at Manzo and would rather swim in with a few pints of saltwater in my lungs than snap my back. In most cases I would rather deal with an injury than pay money for broken gear but not here anymore.

What is this back injury thing? Are you floating vertical in the water when the wave hits your kite? And the sudden force on your harness is hurting your back?

I think I solve that by flagging out my body horizontally and letting the kite pull me with it so as not to cause too much drag.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Jul 15, 10 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

Be REALLY careful in town lots of people blow out discs in thier back stepping off curbs.... better go to the ramps.. Twisted Evil

and don't forget to cut the bike handlebars down to nubs to make sure all that stuff out there doesn't grab them. ouch

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 15, 10 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

I let my kite fly too low while riding a wave up the line, and it ended up in the water, so I cut out and kept the lines tight, stayed hooked in trying to re-launch. I knew I had about 10 seconds before the 6' wave I was on would hit my kite. Well, it pulled me so hard thru the water, it ended up ripping 2 pigtails off the kite, and totally destroyed the kite, ripped every panel to shreds. After this experience, I always unhook when it looks like my kite's about to get clobbered. I'll go to my leash on small stuff, and on big stuff I let go of the leash, because it'll just end up putting too much pressure on the kite. My priority is to stay clear of the lines, and this usually means ditching the kite and letting it get washed in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: