Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Body surfing while attached to a kite.....
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Jul 16, 10 6:50 am    Re: Body surfing while attached to a kite..... Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
What is this back injury thing? Are you floating vertical in the water when the wave hits your kite? And the sudden force on your harness is hurting your back?

I think I solve that by flagging out my body horizontally and letting the kite pull me with it so as not to cause too much drag.

This has happened to me just once and there was nothing flagging my body out could have done. It might be more pronounced with a waist harness too but if you are hooked in (usually trying to swim to the side of the wind window to relaunch) and a large wave grabs your kite and yanks your body from the front, you get bent backwards against your harness as the kite tugs in the whitewash.

But then again, I am a pussy and should probably just look for the ramp somewhere. Can dudes who wear kite pants really talk smack?

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jul 16, 10 8:22 am     Reply with quote

that sounds awful!

if you get dragged by the kite leash at the back of your harness at least you get spun around and your body folds they way it was intended (a much more pleasant way to drown)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Jul 16, 10 8:31 am     Reply with quote

Hmmm, forgot about the whole having to swim to the side C-kite thing...but still, it seems that if you anticipate the wave hitting your kite and point your hands and head at the kite and torpedo your body, you're not going to get tugged much harder than a normal boost in the air.

Oh well, different strokes I guess, as long as we're all breathing when we get to the shore! Thumb's Up

Unhooking and getting dragged backwards seems especially F'd!!

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostFri Jul 16, 10 11:18 am     Reply with quote

Lots of good insight here. It's great to hear the seasoned folk weigh in on the issue. I've experienced a whole new level happiness when the kite relaunches in the impact zone. There's a lot going on out there with a downed rig and slack lines give me the heebee jeebees. Anticipation of a yarding seems to help.

I'm trying to avoid dancing with the devil as much as possible and keep that biaotch in the air where it belongs. Screaming RELEASE THE KRAKEN seems especially appropriate to me for some reason.

Nice thread ldhr.

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostFri Jul 16, 10 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

I had an "uncomfortable" session this past winter in SPI on a big northerly day. (30-35 mph, way overhead, 3 to 4 seconds apart, 47 degrees) Dropped the kite, I got washed, the kite tumbled, tangled, rolled inside out, then twisted into some sort of origami pretzel shape so I knew it wasn't going to relaunch.

Things were pretty gnarly out with strong currents so I thought I'd stay attached to the kite and let it help drag me to shore. I was doing fairly well until a really big wave caught me and threw me towards the kite. Once I came up for air I felt lines around my legs, the bar was twisted up with the chicken loop near my harness and the next wave was about 2 seconds from the kite. I ejected and got the lines off my legs as quickly as possible. Then made the swim to shore and retrieved my mess off the beach.

I did the layout horizontal thing to keep the tension off the kite and it works pretty well until you're in the wrong spot and end up going over the falls. Then the lines don't care how nice your form was.

Since then I've had two other sessions where I wasn't able to get a relaunch before things went south and I went with a new technique of immediately releasing the bar and moving the leash attachment up to the hook on the harness (pull from the front this way) then I keep my hand on the leash quick release while swimming in case I need to eject at any moment. This worked a lot better with the leash taking up some of the tension and slack between me and the kite and keeping me a further 4' away from the bar and lines. I also swim at more of an angle to the kite so that the bar and lines are off to my side rather than in front of me as I swim towards the beach. On one of the swims in I had to pull the release to save the kite, on the other, things weren't as rough and I was able to stay connected and sort things out at shore.

Good thread. Nice to discuss things that don't occur very often and see how others deal with these situations.

Tony

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Jul 16, 10 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

those fags in kite pants always talk smack .

I guess its part of flock separation..... baaa

I did get a tweeked back yesterday thanks to the karms though. Crying or Very sad

I am taking the down day to track down some backstock pants though.

The safest thing to do is a wild guess at best. Improvise.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jul 20, 10 10:21 am     Reply with quote

Good tips from the coasties ..

I might add - As w/ surfing, make your mistakes on small wave days.

Ground swell has a lot more energy than local wind swell. Know the conditions before you go out.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 21, 10 6:59 am     Reply with quote

Follow-up,,, 2 weeks later in Newport.
Spent 2 days kiting at Newport South Beach on 12m in head-high Surf.
In 2 days of kiting I went down 3 times in the impact zone.
Two times I was able to relaunch my kite and escape.
The third time I could not relaunch and the kite was swamped by a big wave.
This time I was ready, push, push, pop, pop. The kite drifted in to shore and I swam in. It took 3 minutes to detangle the lines and relaunch. All was good.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostWed Jul 21, 10 10:32 am     Reply with quote

good tips
after a long swim in big surf last season
I've come to realize a few things
some will come to your aid
some will not
not have any flotation in big swims gets old fast
no board sucks even more
my board bounced of the rocks
I am getting a leash
and a helmut like the Foghaters, a surf helmut and a float vest for the biggest days when duck diving is out
I'm old and fat
swimming is hard
assitded living is a dream when kite is being drug in waves.,,

When my kite takes a bath and won't relaunch
I swim up wind or over to side to get away from strings, go to leash maybe first , point hands upwards and arch back, try whatever to go up
when I'm out of breath I release the kite.,,,,,
if in a big rip, I swim to wave and have it throw me to shore Shocked
sounds pretty stupid but hangin out and getting drilled over and over is less fun for sure
practice your survival skills before you need them as the Boardrider ponts out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: