Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

SURF ... a new way

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ricki

Since 30 Jun 2006
26 Posts

PostFri Jun 30, 06 6:51 pm    SURF ... a new way Reply with quote

Blane Haleiwa

Kiteboarders are trying out a new way of gliding over the water and grabbing waves. It is a great way to develop board skills while crossing-training in a solid workout offshore. It is new but also very old, brought about by the surf riders in the Pacific long ago. It has recently exploded in Hawaii, again, and now is moving outward to other parts of the globe.

Standup paddleboarding, standup surfing, "Beach-Boy" Style surfing, Hui O He'e Nalu, it goes by many names but what is it? I recently put that question to John Bendon of Maui, HI. John is the son of Jim Bendon, the man who introduced me to kitesurfing in the summer of 1998 in the BVI.

continued at ...

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZED IMAGES

CLICK HERE FOR THUMBNAIL IMAGES

Transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostFri Jun 30, 06 7:41 pm     Reply with quote

what's old becomes new again and what's new becomes old. it's the cycle of life.

what will it be like when what's new in kiting becomes old hat? scary no doubt.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

Laird's been doing that for quite a few years. Nothing new really, just more people seeing videos, magazines, and channel-crossing stories and trying it out. I'm waiting for the first assault case involving a paddle used as a club in the water.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jun 30, 06 8:03 pm     Reply with quote

Kayakers have been assualting surfers with paddles for years.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSat Jul 01, 06 6:44 am     Reply with quote

As of late, Seaside has a Hui O He'e Nalu crew... I've seen 5 or 6 at a time. They all use old 12' sailboards and ride 'em dirty through the estuary. I've still got the old Pantera in the basement.... knew I was keeping it around for some reason. Smile

ricki

Since 30 Jun 2006
26 Posts

PostSun Jul 02, 06 8:45 am     Reply with quote

barfly wrote:
As of late, Seaside has a Hui O He'e Nalu crew... I've seen 5 or 6 at a time. They all use old 12' sailboards and ride 'em dirty through the estuary. I've still got the old Pantera in the basement.... knew I was keeping it around for some reason. Smile

Do the guys mainly do downwinders or do they get out into the waves as well? There are a ton of old windsurfers out there, more than purpose built standup paddle boards at this point.

Transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

ricki

Since 30 Jun 2006
26 Posts

PostThu Jul 13, 06 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

Marlon Lewis poses with one of the family standup paddle surfboards

I just received some more info on custom and production standup paddle surfboards and a lot of photos from Jimmy Lewis. The photos and details appear at:

CLICK HERE FOR FULL SIZED IMAGES

CLICK HERE FOR THUMBNAIL IMAGES

Transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: