Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Want to learn to kite surf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ptavv

Since 29 May 2006
30 Posts

PostFri Jun 30, 06 10:42 am    Want to learn to kite surf Reply with quote

I've been lurking here for awhile taking everything in.

I want to take up kite surfing, and have zero idea where to begin. I do tons of other activities and am in good shape.

I've never wind surfed, and I haven't surfed in years. I used to wakeboard often when my family had a boat, and I know how to snowboard (although I'm a skiier these days).

It seems like a lesson or two is definately the best idea to get the basics, learn to launch and everything.

I saw the thread about where the best place to learn was, but if I wanted to take a lesson this upcoming weekend (sometime between Sat and Tues) near PDX (Gorge and Coast are options too) what would be my best bet?

I've got a wetsuit, but no other gear to speak of. Thanks.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Jun 30, 06 10:44 am     Reply with quote

I cant speak highly enough of Amery at ASI (all surf ind.) in portland. Take a lesson or two with him. Money and time well spent.

Mark

www.naishkites.com

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Jun 30, 06 11:21 am     Reply with quote

As an instructor at the spit in Hood River, I recommend you borrow or buy a trainer kite and practice flying it with a friend. Focus on flying the kite on one side of the wind window, ie 10-11:30 or 12:30 to 2. Then when you take a lesson you will be ready for the steps that you need water - body drags, simulating putting on the board and learning how to ride the board. Sure you can have an instructor help you through learning how to fly the kite, but its expensive to do it that way and its fairly self-explanatory flying a trainer. I feel my best value add is teaching the student how to ride the board, not fly a trainer kite. We focus on teaching students how to ride, not learning the history of kiteboarding Smile

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 30, 06 11:57 am     Reply with quote

ASI has kite night at Sauvie Island on Thursdays if the wind is good. Give them a call if you are in PDX. They have 2 and 3 m foils to learn the BASICS of flying. I took my first lesson in HR and spent the whole lesson flying a foil in a field! I was so bummed. I ended up at Kite Night and mentioned that I was taking lessons in HR and they introduced me to Amery. That was a few years ago, and just Tuesday when I came to shore, he came over and said "It's your board skills and this is what you should do!"

There are some great kite schools in HR, I just don't ride there much and my experience is in Portland.

I really don't think the wind will be good this weekend around PDX and I have heard the George might not pick up (hear-say only) and I'm thinking of going to the Coast.

I always have a 2m with me and if you see a red/blk 12m switchblade at SI, if it's me I'll be happy to let you fly it!

ED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: