Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Spending a week at Yachats, any beginner are info?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Coloradokiter

Since 11 Apr 2006
19 Posts

PostThu Jun 29, 06 1:46 pm    Spending a week at Yachats, any beginner are info? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am coming from Colorado to spend a week at a beach house in Yachats. My wife's neice is getting married and we'll take a vacation while we are up there. I do plan on going down to Floras for 2 days to take lessons wth Will also. My skills are completely beginner still, I can self launch and land, go left and right and crash real well Laughing, transitions are pretty bad still. Is there anyplace near Yachats that someone of my skill level can go and practice? Also I have a 4 meter foil so is it worth grabbing a mtn board for the beach at Yachats?

thanks for any feedback, Joel

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Jun 29, 06 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

There isnt much beach in Yachats so i wouldnt bother with the land board. your best bet is florence or Newport south jetty's. your right in the middle and have good access to both depending on wind you can make the call. there is also the Alsea Bay just to the north of yachats i have kited in. watch out for out going current and 'hidden' sand bars as there isnt much room to kite during low tide.

The newport S. Jetty will most likely have the smallest waves since it is usually 'protected' from the summer NW swell. just stay up wind close to the jetty.

have fun Yachats is a great little town.

Ryan

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Jun 29, 06 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

There isnt much beach in Yachats so i wouldnt bother with the land board. your best bet is florence or Newport south jetty's. your right in the middle and have good access to both depending on wind you can make the call. there is also the Alsea Bay just to the north of yachats i have kited in. watch out for out going current and 'hidden' sand bars as there isnt much room to kite during low tide.

The newport S. Jetty will most likely have the smallest waves since it is usually 'protected' from the summer NW swell. just stay up wind close to the jetty.

have fun Yachats is a great little town.

Ryan

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

I work in Waldport and usually bug out early if the wind's gonna blow. The beaches 15 minutes south of Yachats are great, and the wind cranks, but probably not beginner material. Also, don't try to kite in Alsea Bay as the wind is real flukey on northerlies. Best bet like Ryan said is probably to go up to the Yaquina Bay South Jetty. And at low tide there's plenty of beach for landboarding between Waldport and Yachats. You could do a downwinder from Patterson State Park to Spencer Street, just north of Yachats (if there's wind). Generally, the wind doesn't fill in very well in the Waldport/Yachats area - it'll be much windier up at the jetty, or around the Cape to the south.

Also, check out the Drift Inn for good food and music (I'll be playing there this Saturday night)....and, if you're into it, the best mountainboarding hill on the coast (paved) is the road up to the Cape Perpetua lookout. PM me if you need more details, or if you want to try and hook up. This is my backyard!

Steve

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostFri Jun 30, 06 6:02 am     Reply with quote

yea, the drift in rocks!! Great food, Great music, and Great for the family.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: