Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Line etiquette at Sauvie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dkite

Since 21 May 2006
14 Posts

PostWed Jun 28, 06 7:49 am    Line etiquette at Sauvie Reply with quote

I'm a beginner. What is the laying out of lines etiquette at Sauvie, or anywhere? I followed the diagram in the "Spots" section of this forum; inflating your kite first, then laying you lines out towards the water. What do you do when others lay their lines over yours? I came in when the wind was down on Monday, and walked down the beach for a bit. When I got back, someone had there lines layed out accross mine, 45 degree to the water. The wind came up, and I had to wait 20 minutes until he launched. What's the deal? Please explain the right way, or is that just the way it is?

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Jun 28, 06 8:04 am     Reply with quote

My advice is too always roll up your lines if your leaving your kite on the beach for awhile. When you land your kite, walk your lines behind your kite, stretch them out and make sure they are untangled, and then roll them up on your bar behind your kite. When your ready to go back out, just unwind, do your line check, and off you go.

Not only does this prevent your lines from getting "buried", it also keep you from being "that guy" who is on top of anyone else's lines. Also, with the crazy crowds at Sauvie it keeps that five year old and/or the dog chasing the stick from getting tangled in them. At places like Stevenson on a crowded day getting lines out of the way is required.

Jon

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 28, 06 8:26 am     Reply with quote

This may seem pretty basic, but it helps if everyone uses the same angle when laying lines on a crowded beach.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Jun 28, 06 9:02 am     Reply with quote

The only time I set out over someone elses lines is if that person is obviously MIA and I know that I am going to rig and get out on the water right away.

If someones lines are scattered to hell and gone, I have wound them up a little and placed them up the beach a ways.

Never had any problems.

Besides lines, you should watch where you set your stuff and rig your kite when you first get there. If there is a huge gap between a solid line of kites and there is a big pile of bags and beer, etc next to the empty spot, someone is likely out on the water. Just ask someone close if its ok to rig there or if there are people out on the water.

I had a sweet spot one day and after 3 hours on the water, I essentially had to land my kite in the sticks and twigs and schlep my stuff down the beach because it seemed many people had inflated their whole godamn quiver of kits and set them out on the beach. Do you really need 3 kites pumped up and ready for action? Wow, that guy must rock! look how many kites he has!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: