Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

right of way
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostMon Jun 26, 06 7:46 pm    right of way Reply with quote

So now that I'm actually up and riding I just wanted to make sure I'm ok on the right of way thing. So right hand forward (starboard) tack has the right of way? Also downwind has right of way from upwind? Downwind keeps kite down and upwind keeps kite up? Anyone launching or landing has right of way. Anything else I should know about other than giving right of way to anyone in trouble or that is obviously a beginner?

Also I can't remember the rules for channel markers. Sunday a barge was coming and it was no big deal, but I saw a green marker and couldn't remember where the channel was in respect to a ship entering or leaving.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Jun 26, 06 8:07 pm     Reply with quote

Red right returning! The ships will keep the red bouys on their right returning to home.
Mark

www.naishkites.com

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostMon Jun 26, 06 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

yup and red on the right when rigging from the rear

If you are up wind and a kiter is DW on the same tack then you are the give way, b/c DW kiter dosen't have eyes in the back of his head

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jun 26, 06 10:17 pm     Reply with quote

Don't forget that the guy on the wave has right of way over starboard/port tack etc. Not that many people were following that rule this weekend at the coast Sad

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Jun 27, 06 5:51 am    if there is any doubt Reply with quote

THE GUY ON THE WAVE HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY if you want to ever get a wave please observe surfer rules when in the surf(at least when i'm there)

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Jun 27, 06 5:55 am     Reply with quote

and remember just because someone should yield you, doesn't mean they have the decency to do so. For some types you are stealing THIER waves just being there and they want to punch you. Just a thought , a very sad one that some don't get how great it is and carry around the chip on thier shoulder. And anyone coming down the line should have the right of way. They are under less control than someone trolling around trying to stay up wind.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Jun 27, 06 6:24 am    yesterdays losers Reply with quote

are you coming back? I'm not coming over sooooo ,,let's get even for yesterday,windy now but some overcast

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 27, 06 9:13 am     Reply with quote

the big triangle is also nice to remember when you're in the surf (and staying upwind).

if you troll back and forth and never lose significant ground downwind then you're bound to eventually plump up the works. we all play well together if you head downwind (ideally on a good wave), then ride deep to get back upwind, then repeat. even if you can't get a decent wave go downwind anyway for the sake of karma.

some people troll endlessly waiting for the perfect wave, then yield a tiny amount of ground. blowhard and registered are the opposite of that, which is nice.

peace on.

kite_diva

Since 18 Dec 2005
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Jun 27, 06 9:27 am    downwinder NOT the same as down the line Reply with quote

Thanks guys for pointing out the surf rules. Noticed lots of folks this weekend who appeared to be under the impression that doing a downwinder gives them the right-of-way.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostTue Jun 27, 06 10:42 am     Reply with quote

Launching has right of way, unless someone is in process of landing
Take another tack if you want to come in and someone is launching.
Leaving shore regardless of hand foward has right of way
Right hand foward rules apply once underway
Upwind must Yeild to Downwind
Upwind Kite high, Downwind kite low.
Overtaking must yeild

Trevor--

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostTue Jun 27, 06 11:02 am     Reply with quote

"THE GUY ON THE WAVE HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY if you want to ever get a wave please observe surfer rules when in the surf(at least when i'm there)"

this works great most of the time when riding the wave downwind, but does not apply to someone riding the wave UPwind. i had a couple of instances this weekend when some dude is trying to stay upwind by slogging upwind on a wave while i'm going down the line. if you're trying to ride upwind on a wave do us all a favor and don't pick the best wave of the set to do so.

Bandito

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 27, 06 11:17 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Red right returning! The ships will keep the red bouys on their right returning to home.
Mark

Not to be confused with the kite control bar colors which are:

Red
= Port which is the Left side of bar

Green = Starboard which is the Right side of bar (White/Grey on Slingshot , Blue on Naish, etc.)

Most of the lines are now color coded to match the bar for the Steering Lines (back/outside) and Flying Lines (front/center).

What colors do other manufactures have on the bars & lines gang?

~D

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jun 27, 06 11:18 am     Reply with quote

registered wrote:
And anyone coming down the line should have the right of way. They are under less control than someone trolling around trying to stay up wind.

carefull spicoli. that line of reasoning leads to "airborne kiter has the right of way because he has less control then riding kiter".

anyone going down the line could always keep on their heelside carve and turn upwind with their kite high if they had to. (i've been the other guy -- oops-- sorry my bad)

yielding to the down the line wave riding kiter is based on courtesy and karma. by all means DO IT.

but i don't think it has any basis in maritime law. if god forbid two kiters collide and get hurt and end up arguing their case in front of Mr. Hand i don't think the "i had no control over going for the tube" argument will carry much weight.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jun 27, 06 11:52 am     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
Launching has right of way, unless someone is in process of landing
Take another tack if you want to come in and someone is launching.
Leaving shore regardless of hand foward has right of way
Right hand foward rules apply once underway
Upwind must Yeild to Downwind
Upwind Kite high, Downwind kite low.
Overtaking must yeild

Trevor--

Trevor pretty much nailed it there.

If your just starting out and you and another guy/girl are going head-on, try to project where they are heading in relation to you. Often times, one tack can go quite a bit more upwind than the other so usually your ok. If your really lit and your not sure if you will loose an edge, etc and someone is passing you downwind, it may be a good idea to jag downwind a bit and let him pass upwind.

The only other thing I would add is when you and several other kiters are close and heading in the same direction, don't suddenly change direction or what not when you are upwind. Some dude at Sauvie kept pulling that on me last week. I'm screaming along, he's 100 yards in front and upwind of me and all of a sudden, BAM, he's chnaging direction/floating downwind and I have to chnage direction to avoid him. For some reason everywhere I went this guy was next to me.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jun 27, 06 12:20 pm     Reply with quote

Onad Rednaxela wrote:
Mark wrote:
Mark

Red

Green = Starboard which is the Right side of bar (White/Grey on Slingshot , Blue on Naish, etc.)

Most of the lines are now color coded to match the bar for the Steering Lines (back/outside) and Flying Lines (front/center).

~D

Good Port (wine) is always left (alittle bit) in the glass. Due to sediment. Thats how I was taught! Drunk

www.naishkites.com

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 27, 06 10:36 pm     Reply with quote

Onad Rednaxela wrote:
Mark wrote:
Mark

Red

~D

I don't think how you rig the lines on your kite is relevant to who has right of way on the water Smile

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 28, 06 6:04 am     Reply with quote

Oh boy, ShredJim calling Onad out on an “Off Topic” comment... Smile

While not completely relevant to Right of Way, it is a point of confusion for many new kiters (especially those without a sailing/maritime background).

I thought it important to point out that “Red is NOT Right” when rigging the bar (as many newbies naturally think that red would be on the right side of the bar).

This was intended an information sharing comment. Sorry you took it as "irrelevant."

Thank you for your continued support, Onad

shredjim wrote:
I don't think how you rig the lines on your kite is relevant to who has right of way on the water Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: