Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hood River sand bar...
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostSun Jun 25, 06 4:56 pm    Hood River sand bar... Reply with quote

I saw it today. No wind though.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostSun Jun 25, 06 6:46 pm    NO WIND Reply with quote

DUDE YOU SHOULD HAVE COME OUT TO THE COAST AND BEEN THE TAXI!!!!!!!ALL YOUR BUDS WERE HERE..... Twisted Evil MILES AND HOURS OF DOWN WINDERS............

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostMon Jun 26, 06 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

I did a downwinder from Home Valley to Stevenson instead :O)

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Jun 27, 06 11:54 am     Reply with quote

There's a sand bar in hood river? Shocked

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostTue Jun 27, 06 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

is it a sliver or an actual land mass? nothing beats rigging your kite when each tip is straddling the bar and lying in the water.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Jun 27, 06 2:25 pm    Sandbar Reply with quote

River levels dropped over the weekend and gave us a peak at the ever-growing sandbar.
But, now the river levels are back up again.
They probably lowered the river a bit to compensate for the extra water that will come from the snowmelt during this heatwave.

From what we did see of the sandbar this weekend, we can definitely expect to be seeing a much larger and more westward stretching sandbar once the river levels are back down.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue Jun 27, 06 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/ftppub/project_data/daily/bon.txt

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Jun 29, 06 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

So, what's going on down there in HR for this weekend? Is it Ok to launch from the marina beach? Will sandbar be useable?

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostThu Jun 29, 06 3:34 pm     Reply with quote

No launching from the Marina Beach....Please see previous thread.
Corp says water will drop but when, how much and timeline is unknown and questionable.
Please note that access to "the spit" will be closed starting Monday July 3rd. All day July 4th. Reopening around 10AM July 5th for Hood River's 4th of July fireworks set-up, display and clean-up

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 4:05 pm     Reply with quote

i thought marina was open on the 4th due to the full closure of the spit? everyone was there last year.

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostThu Jun 29, 06 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

No launching from the Marina Beach as per Port Ordinance.....
I believe people may have been "walking" out to the sand bar last year but unless the water level drops I doubt that will be happening this year. The Port will be enforcing all water access ordinances with the help/support of the local police and marine sheriffs.
Please DON'T launch from the Marine Beach......this will just make the access issue more difficult in the future

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Jun 29, 06 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

Ok so it sounds like the only beginner-friendly launch in the entire area is Sauvie for the long weekend?

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Jun 29, 06 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

...or rather the only launch in the gorge is anywhere BUT hood river. looks like i'm taking my time and money elsewhere. [/quote]

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostThu Jun 29, 06 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

bamboo wrote:
...or rather the only launch in the gorge is anywhere BUT hood river. looks like i'm taking my time and money elsewhere.
[/quote]

- Actually, there are a number of other great launch spots for kiting in the Gorge, granted, these are not 'kite-only' launches.
- It goes without saying that you provide courtesy to all other users (ie-windsurfers and swimmers) when kiting at these locations, such as not leaving your kites and lines laying on the beach for any longer than you need in order to get yourself launched and landed, and leaving any attitude at home.

Stevenson (Kite point, not Bob's Beach)
Homevalley
The Narrows
Viento
Rowena (eastern-most section/downwind of windsurf launch)
Location formerly known as 'Secret Spot'
Rufus (eastern-most section/downwind of windsurf launch)
Roosevelt (eastern-most section/downwind of windsurf launch)
3 Mile Canyon

Happy Kiting
Pepi
[/i]

www.Purestokesports.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Jun 29, 06 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

A couple of us launched from the Hook a few weekends back and it worked just fine. I wouldn't say its really any worse than Stevenson, other than instead of a nice grassy area to rig you are rigging on gravel. We launched using one of the pathways that goes down from the road to the water about midway up the road to the Hook itself.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Jun 29, 06 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

The Hook is a great place to sneak out and head over to the bridge or along Wells where it is smooth and you can get some real lifty gusts that will amplify your altiitude.

It's safe because you'll get dragged out in most bad launches. But there are rocks so there is potential for injury. Be very carefull of kites blowing off the top of the berm. Strattle your kite on one of the bolders if it's really blowing. Don't trust your board to hold it down.

Be nice, and patient, and maybe a windsurfing instructor at one of the schools will toss your kite if nobody is around. They don't have much free time so they want to give you a quick launch and see you ride off. Nobody wants to be part of a launch gone wrong. And that can easily happen at the Hook.

I'd call it a more advanced launch since your kite can easily fall into the wind shadow behind the berm. It's gusty plus there is a current sweeping you upwind - if you can't get all your lines tight while you are swimming against the current you're goning have to abort - and that's ugly. If you don't have tight lines then the kite will fall behind the berm and your done. Best strategy then is to drift down wind into the wind unless you want to climb back up the rocks with a tangled mess.

There is a big wind hole behind Wells and some times its hard to get out past it. Head off downwind and if you fall consider dragging out to the wind line kind of half laying on your board.

One problem with the Hook is that is very tough to come back in. Kind of a one way ticket. Easier to just go downwind to the former sand bar and get a ride back. It's tough to judge the wind out in the river so its easy to call it wrong but you won't be coming in to switch kites.

One of the coolest things the port could do for us would be to create a lower tier off the the hook that is normally only 4-6 feet out of the water. It could stick out as little as 20 feet to allow for a better launch pad.

sherrybohn

Since 16 Jun 2006
71 Posts

PostThu Jun 29, 06 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

[One of the coolest things the port could do for us would be to create a lower tier off the the hook that is normally only 4-6 feet out of the water. It could stick out as little as 20 feet to allow for a better launch pad.[/quote]

Interesting idea....No promises.... but could we discuss this off line??? E-mail me
I'd be interested in getting a better understanding/ grasp of your concept. A lower tier might not cause problems with the fishermen that we have heard from and help with what I see as a "hot" launch and landing situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: