Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice on fixing many valves cheaply (like 10+ to fix)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 02, 10 2:53 pm    Advice on fixing many valves cheaply (like 10+ to fix) Reply with quote

Hi,

I have 2 Naish kites (2007s) with major valve delamination problems on their strut valves. What I am looking for is an inexpensive way to fix them all myself. Does anyone have experience to share in this matter. I see online various ways to do it: ie, vinyl glue, goop glue, contact cement, bladder patch kit glue, and actually melting the bladder to the valve with an iron.

I don't know if I have the skill to do the melting solution, worried I could weaking the bladder too much, but it does sound like a solid way to do it compared to an adhesive that might come off over time.

Any info appreciated.

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 02, 10 5:17 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, I know about u-stick valves. I'm looking for a low-cost solution (like $20 plus my labor), not $150 (10 x $15). I've used u-stick valves in the past, they are great, but I'm not employeed right now and would rather find a less expensive solution. I'm leaning towards trying contact cement, just wondering if it'll hold up for a few seasons.

$ociopath

Since 28 Nov 2007
523 Posts
Twilight Zone
Addicted

PostWed Jun 02, 10 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

I've tried almost everything; no luck. Anything toulene based melts the bladder and wont work. I haven't tried heating it though that might be the way to go. Maybe contact cement on the nipple till it tacks then apply? I have a spare bladder somewhere if you want it for a test piece. If you find out what works I'd be curious to know.

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jun 02, 10 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Somebody (think it was Top Hat or some other Hawaii guy) told me via kf,
3m 5200 works great for gluing valves.
I know it works pretty damn well on anything else.
You could get a tube of that stuff <$20.
I have used a u-stick dump valve,
only to find the valve leaked around its plug, in spite of sealing perfectly to the bladder.
It was definitely Top Hat that suggested, use an O-ring around the plug, which works great for that problem, BTW.

Last edited by bwd on Wed Jun 02, 10 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jun 02, 10 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Check out kitefix.com - they have a lower cost solution for fixing valves.

strapless

Since 16 Mar 2009
2 Posts
portland texas

PostWed Jun 02, 10 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

Hey I have been fixing bladders for years and the only thing that is cheap is 3m 5200 fast cure make sure and not use alcohol as a cleaning solvent it affects the bond also use something round to weight down the nipple as it dries. I think there is a youtube video explaining this. This system has held up for over a year to south texas heat. P. S. thanks North Kites for allowing me to become proficeint in this art. Evil or Very Mad

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostThu Jun 03, 10 6:16 am     Reply with quote

I have used Aquaseal for a lot of repairs. It takes 8 hours to cure, but is easy to work with. It is not "runny", and has a long "working time", so it is probably the easiest for rookies to use. It won't stick to the Airtime orange bladder material, but sticks to all the other ones.

When you do the repair, have all the needed stuff at hand...and rehearse the procedure before you get out the glue.

I don't know how Aquaseal compares to the 3M product.

Vankiter

Since 24 Jun 2007
34 Posts
Canvouver

PostThu Jun 03, 10 11:33 am     Reply with quote

FWIW - I fixed a few valves on my '07 Naish kites this winter using Aquaseal per Kitezilla's method. So far, so good. Reinforcing Kitezilla's advice: do a "dry run" to rehearse the procedure. Make sure you're confident in how you'll keep glue out of the inside of the bladder and how you'll keep the valve pressed against the bladder while the glue dries.

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 14, 10 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

I ended up using vinyl glue on all the valves and I've had no problems all summer. I checked one of the valves recently and it's still on rock solid, so vinyl glue seems to work.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostSun Aug 15, 10 7:05 am     Reply with quote

jeremy wrote:
I ended up using vinyl glue on all the valves and I've had no problems all summer. I checked one of the valves recently and it's still on rock solid, so vinyl glue seems to work.

Good to know!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: