Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

WHAT IS BEST PLACE FOR KITE LESSONS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lakejames

Since 25 Jun 2006
1 Posts

PostSun Jun 25, 06 9:58 am    WHAT IS BEST PLACE FOR KITE LESSONS? Reply with quote

Hello:

I live in Portland and want to access Kite lessons to try out the sport.
I am in great shape and have windsurfed.
I have no gear.

Please recommend a good outfit in HR or Portland for lessons in HR or at Sauvie Island.

Thanks!

Lake

nibor

Since 09 Jul 2005
45 Posts
Tigard, OR

PostSun Jun 25, 06 10:45 am     Reply with quote

Talk to Amery at All Surf Industry. From my experience, he is the best!

Robin

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Jun 25, 06 10:57 am     Reply with quote

Amery Thumb's Up

As has been said many times on here, if you don't have much/any kite control experience, stop by ASI on a Thursday afternoon and ask them if they'll be out for Kite Night @ Sauvies (they'll let you fly their trainers for free to get a feeling for them). If it's windy out there, then there's really no need to ask. That's just to double check since no one's going to be out there with NO wind!

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jun 26, 06 12:44 am     Reply with quote

There are 7 good schools at the sand spit in Hood River. Talk to the retailers in town who don't have a kiteschool and they will tell you which kiteschool/instructor has a great reputation for students riding the board in a short amount of time.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 26, 06 6:34 am     Reply with quote

Go with NewWind Kite School in Hood River.

Jim Bison (owner) is the best instructor in the NW and the only International Kitesurfing Organization (IKO) examiner in this area. He uses jet skis when the water is high at the HR sandbar and will get you up & riding fast!!!

http://www.kiteschool.com/

kristine

Since 23 Apr 2006
15 Posts
Portland

PostMon Jun 26, 06 7:18 am    Kiteboard Oregon Reply with quote

Go with Kiteboard Oregon Kite School in Hood River. They also teach @ the Coast and Suavies. So you can get a lesson at your local spot!!!

Jimmy Dorsey (owner) is the best instructor in the NW and International Kitesurfing Organization (IKO) Level 2. Also Jim Grady and Brian are IKO certified as well as all around cool guys.

They use a jet boat when the water is high, and when it is not, at the HR sandbar and will get you up & riding fast!!!

Radio Helmets provide instant feed back to give you the information you need to get up and riding fast.

http://www.kiteboardoregon.com/

Send IT!!!

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 26, 06 8:33 am     Reply with quote

i would have to agree with Dano, New Wind is hands down the best school in Oregon, if not the West Coast. You will be up and riding in 4 hours or less I gurantee it. Im just telling you this from my experience, I got lessons with Jim 4 years ago.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bdc8622

Since 31 May 2005
74 Posts
PDX

PostMon Jun 26, 06 8:35 am    Lessons Reply with quote

Jimmy is the man! Not only is he a great instructor but he's a hell of a nice guy.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue Jun 27, 06 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

you cant really go wrong, but my vote is still with amery. since hes in portland his range is the same as yours and he can bring you to the really good spots for learning not just the gorge.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostWed Jul 05, 06 3:11 pm     Reply with quote

Any one know what's up with lessons with Amery from ASI? I'm trying to get a lesson organized for my son based on recommendations i've read on here. I thought i'd booked lessons for this Friday but dealing with ASI seems really chaotic. When i talked to Amery i thought i got good info but no one else seems to follow up on messages or be able to tell me whether a booked lessons is really booked. Anyone know if they are changing staff or something? Sounds like Amery is in an excellent instructor especially for kids and teens but i don't want deal with anymore messages thru other people that don't get returned.
paul

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jul 05, 06 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

Word on the street is Amery is moving up in the world and has a new employer. Might want to check out New Wind in the Gorge, they have it really dialed with jetski's and all.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 06, 06 6:04 am     Reply with quote

NewWind is the BEST and work with kids all the time. Checkout the kids camps!!! Thumb's Up

http://www.kiteschool.com/

pkh wrote:
... might want to check out New Wind in the Gorge, they have it really dialed with jetski's and all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: