Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Oregon Coast sailing-help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Penguin

Since 23 Jun 2006
5 Posts
Victoria,BC
Kook

PostFri Jun 23, 06 3:40 pm    Oregon Coast sailing-help Reply with quote

Hi

Last year I made a trip to Manzanita and loved it. This year I will be going down again-however my family will be with me (last 2 weeks of July). I want to kite in the ocean again, however, my wife is an intermediate windsurfer and does not feel confident about waves. Are there any places in close proximityto each other that will put a smile on both our faces?

She would prefer flat water and is good to about 25-30 knots.

Thanks

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Jun 23, 06 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

Head south to Floras Lake/ Whiskey Run Beach. The lake has good flatwater w/ocean breeze while whiskey has more space.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostFri Jun 23, 06 5:56 pm     Reply with quote

On smaller swell conditions the Yaquina Bay south jetty has really protected flat water near the jetty and progressively bigger surf as you go down the beach. You could kite down wind and get into some waves and your wife could windsurf up the beach a little closer to the jetty. Nice camping at South Beach State Park right there too. No need to go all the way down to the tadpol pond (Flores) when there's such nice flatwater conditions on the north central coast. Check out the forecast for swell though, if its over 8 foot its gonna be sizable surf up near the jetty too.

Penguin

Since 23 Jun 2006
5 Posts
Victoria,BC
Kook

PostTue Jun 27, 06 6:00 am     Reply with quote

Thanks

Any places further north towards Manzanita? Floras etc is quite the drive, especially after a ferry ride.

Our local forum

www.bigwavedave.ca

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Jun 27, 06 6:07 am    Astoria to Seaside Reply with quote

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-1789.html

Check out the "Spots" link on top.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Jun 27, 06 7:06 am     Reply with quote

What's your definition of intermediate windsurfer - makes most jibes, waterstarts 100%, what size sails is she used to using?

Contact these guys for windsurfing advice on the coast http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/PDXwindsurfer/

if you look in their files section their is an Oregon coast wave sailing guide. Manzanita is one of the easier places to sail due to plenty of wind and usually not much surf. If you do decide on the north coast and your wife wants to stay completely out of the ocean you can go to Jones Beach - do a search for info in this forum. Good kiting and often 5.5 / 6.0 windsurfing.

paul

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 27, 06 8:25 am     Reply with quote

She windsurfs? That sucks...

Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Penguin

Since 23 Jun 2006
5 Posts
Victoria,BC
Kook

PostTue Jun 27, 06 9:18 am     Reply with quote

It does suck-too much equipment. however, she works in a hospital and saw the results of some nasty kitemares from 2001-2005.

sails in the 4.0-5.3m range, waterstarts 100%, jibes 30%, rides a carve 78.

Thanks for all the help.

shredjim

Since 07 Jun 2006
186 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Jun 27, 06 10:29 am     Reply with quote

Get her some lessons and explain to her the safety of a 5 line kite with de-power and maybe she will cross over. We teach predominately on 5 line kites and students seem to understand the safety they offer the first time they throw the bar! Schlepping poleboarding gear is painful.

Penguin

Since 23 Jun 2006
5 Posts
Victoria,BC
Kook

PostTue Jun 27, 06 10:55 am     Reply with quote

We are around plenty of kiters. I'm using a 7m & 12M bow(Ocean Rodeo Ones), so she is well aware of how things have progressed safety wise.
gale warnings for victoria today-should be good kiting this pm. Strong Kiteboarding offers lessons both here and Nitinat- so the opportunity is there.

I envy your guys waves, cant wait for the last week or 2 of July.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostTue Jun 27, 06 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

Penguin wrote:
It does suck-too much equipment. however, she works in a hospital and saw the results of some nasty kitemares from 2001-2005.

sails in the 4.0-5.3m range, waterstarts 100%, jibes 30%, rides a carve 78.

Thanks for all the help.

So she can obviously sail so should do just fine at Manzo if swells small and for sure at Jones. If she goes in the ocean rig bigger than she thinks she needs or she'll end up downwind really fast and you better be on hand to help drag all that wet sandy kit back up the beach.

Penguin

Since 23 Jun 2006
5 Posts
Victoria,BC
Kook

PostTue Jun 27, 06 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input, I think that I have it covered.

Now all I need is wind while I'm there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: