Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Launching etiquette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdx_prophet

Since 22 Jun 2006
3 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostThu Jun 22, 06 11:41 am    Launching etiquette Reply with quote

I am new to kiteboarding, and I was wondering was is the etiquette to asking someone to help you launch?

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jun 22, 06 11:50 am     Reply with quote

Just ask nicely! of course beer is always good! Wink

www.naishkites.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jun 22, 06 11:55 am     Reply with quote

Just asking is all it takes. If you need some time to get everything set and double check things just tell the person your kind of new at this and they will totally understand.

Pass the favor forward by helping people land their kites.. someone tapping their head means they would like you to grab their kite for them.

Have fun and be safe!!

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Jun 22, 06 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

Karma and common sense go a long way. If you are rigging somewhere new sit back and see how its done, catch a couple of kites, and don't be afraid to say that you've never kited there before.

sentone

Since 10 Feb 2006
66 Posts

PostThu Jun 22, 06 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

ahhhhh .........perfect words of wisdom.........thanks to all Exclamation Exclamation Idea Idea

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jun 23, 06 9:43 am     Reply with quote

here is one thing that is not always covered by common sense.

I am launching Joe. Joe gets in position, his lines look good, etc. I am holding the kite high so it is easier for him to see how it is reacting to the wind. etc.

Joe gives me the thumbs up. In my opinion, Joe ought to put the kite a little deeper in the window. Do I let go, or direct Joe to move, or move myself or what?

(Joe is NOT a beginner).

IMHO, the answer is pilot decides, and I should let go. But there may not be consensus on this as I have let go in that situation and then been told "you should have moved the kite deeper for me".

But I say you're the pilot, it's your ass, you look at the kite reacting to the wind and decide for yourself --- a little deeper and it will tug you on launch, a little more forward and it might drift.

pdx_prophet

Since 22 Jun 2006
3 Posts
Portland
Kook

PostFri Jun 23, 06 9:48 am     Reply with quote

thanks for all the advice. look forward to seeing you all on the water.

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Jun 23, 06 11:11 am     Reply with quote

PJC,

Yeah, the pilot should be paying attention... But sometimes from 75ft away the kite does look and feel full. As the guy standing there with the kite in his hand, I would recommend you communicate what your actually feeling in the kite... Personally I'll take a little tug on the launch rather than the evil out of control into the sticker bushes, ooops ripped my kite launch. I would rather have my launcher help me out a tad if he knows whats up!!!

Going Coastal this weekend, NOT Postal...

Jon

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Jun 23, 06 11:12 am     Reply with quote

damn double post...
Last edited by bambam on Fri Jun 23, 06 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Jun 23, 06 11:13 am    when to release Reply with quote

My thought is if I give the thumbs up and something goes wrong it was my ultimate decision and i have noone to blame but myself.

That being said, if I get the thumbs up and I am launching someone if I notice a problem with the lines, or I know that the wind just died and the kite will fall backwards, etc.. then there is no way I let go of the kite until I think it will alunch without an issue.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Jun 23, 06 11:23 am     Reply with quote

i have always taken the thumbs up as more of a ready gesture not as a let go. after that when i feel that the kite will fly i let go.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jun 23, 06 12:09 pm     Reply with quote

Etiquette dictates that you as the launcher can speak your mind, move to the best spot, or put the kite down have them recheck their lines. Its nice when you have someone who has launched a 1000 kites - it sucks when someone dressed in kiteboarding garb (waiting for their first lesson) throws your kite backwards and it does 3 loops and hot launches.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 23, 06 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

sometimes it's hard to tell though. I was launching a guy yesterday, and he acted like he knew what he was doing, but the kite wasn't ready to fly and he was telling me to let it go... after once of that, i figured out he had no idea.

i ended up wrestling the kite for a while until i walked up a bit and filled it with wind. even then, he was oversteering making it really tough to hang on to.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jun 23, 06 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

Go HOT or GO HOME!! Wink

Seriously, the guys above have pretty much covered it all.

Iā€™d just add to always ask for a launch with a Very Happy

Not a Twisted Evil

Good luck. ~D

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostFri Jun 23, 06 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

A couple other things to add here I guess. Launching in the gorge is defintely a lot different than launching on the beach. There are tons of rocks and small trees or branches laying around for the lines to get stuck on. If you are just chilling on the beach, keep an eye on people launching, it is always appreciated to have a third person around to tend the lines and make sure they don't snag. This isn't such a big deal on the beach, but can make a huge difference in the gorge. I always appreciate the extra help.

Also, I think this has been said before, but if you are new to a spot, watch a few people lay out there gear and launch before doing yours, or ask someone who kites there alot for advice before setting up. Thumb's Up

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jun 23, 06 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

launch and land 4x times as many kites as you request yourself. this makes you valuable instead of a hassle to others at first, and you also learn a lot by doing it.

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostFri Jun 23, 06 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

Kodiak taught me da etiquette. Now I always launch with my salad fork in my right hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: