Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Surfboard suggestions?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostFri Jun 23, 06 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

Strapless is the key for lighter wind because you can walk around on the board a bit.
I am riding strapless on a 6'4 swallow tail fish almost exclusively these days.
The less volume you have in your board the more power you have to carry.
A wider tail will ride higher in the water and hold speed through lulls but doesn't tend to bite as much as a pin if the wave gets hollow.
Swallow tail with big fins is great.
And removable fins are the key. Removable fins will break if you get in the shallows but you save your board. Plus you can experiment with size.
As I see it, the end all goal is to ride the waves WITHOUT carrying power in the kite. Just use the kite to set up on the wave or make it past sections that you can't normally get around while paddle surfing.

I personally prefer a little more volume so I can ride a smaller kite on marginal days.

But for sure if it is over head high.....or if you are planning on riding really lit...... you should have straps and a narrower board.

NSP makes epoxy boards for super cheap......like $350 full retail.
And they have a huge assortment.

Here is a link to most of the shapes.
http://onthebeach.mwrc.net/en/category.php?product_category_id=2894

Drop in down loop and bottom turn back up the face and smack a lip. Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: