Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Columbia Gorge Kiting Association
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostThu Jun 08, 06 12:54 pm    Columbia Gorge Kiting Association Reply with quote

I think its a great idea to form a association. I would like to volunteer my help as well.

I wonder if we can use the downwind section of the Event site. All the faciltiy's are already in place. Being downwind, we wont be as much of a threat to the windsurfers and public.

Mark

www.naishkites.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Jun 08, 06 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

That is a great idea!! I live in Portland and would be willing to put a (reasonable) amount of time and energy towards forming a legit association.

Here is my contact info:

bbieger@hotmail.com

please put kite boarding or something in the tittle as new e-mail addresses go straight to spam.

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostThu Jun 08, 06 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm putting together an email list for the purpose of sending out a preliminary email to see if there is interest in revitalizing the CGKA (Columbia Gorge Kiteboarding Association -- it does exist, but is just needing people to be active with it) which could then be used as a voice for kiters in the Gorge area.

If you'd like to be on the email list, which I will BCC (blind CC to keep confidential), please send your email to:

FYI: This email list will ONLY be used for CGKA related email and I will do my best to keep the information confidential. If CGKA is revitalized and I am not on the Board, I will turn this contact list over to the CGKA board.

Thank you,
Kirsten
Volunteer working to see if there is interest to get the CGKA revitalized in the Gorge as a tool for kite-community communication
An Original Founder of Seattle Kitesurfing Association
IKO Certified Kiteboarding Instructor

Last edited by shredbarbie on Tue Sep 22, 09 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

snowmeltriver

Since 21 May 2006
102 Posts
Little Kentucky
Stoked

PostThu Jun 08, 06 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for starting the new drama-free thread...we have some serious issues to work out here in the gorge.

Here are some of my thoughts:

I think the CGKA should be open to anyone who kites here and loves this crazy sport as much as I do. I also think that the leadership might be more effective if it is primarily composed of people who actually live in the gorge or are available locally during the workweek. I would like to see pdx'ers represented but many of the primary positions should be filled by locals or those able to get things done during regular business hours here in the gorge. An organization like this cannot be run on weekends. (I am NOT implying that PDX'ers should not be involved- I have met many great folks from the city this winter when many locals whined that it was too cold to kite!) I am also not wanting to alienate anyone; I believe that anyone that kites in the gorge should have a voice in what happens in the future.

We have some major access issues to work out. The sandbar is an established place to kite...although it is currently inconvienent. The port is already catering to kiters. Kite schools have a major interest in keeping the sandbar in good shape. Other locations are not so well protected...

Some serious access issues are Lyle sandbar (parking and crossing the RR tracks), Secret Spot (highway parking and RR tracks), and kiting accesss at Doug's Beach.

How about possible development of a kiting spot at Bingen Point, Viento, and Home Valley.

Don't forget the grandaddy of them all: The future White Salmon sandbar! This is my personal favorite. When Condut dam is blown, we will have a sick spot to rig and ride. We need to be on that one and secure that location before the RR puts up a larger fence.

If we lose lyle and SS due to our current trespassing status, this will further overload the HR sandbar. I think we need to spread out kiters to multiple locations and not put all our eggs in one basket.

In conclusion, I think we should set a meeting time and location asap.

I propose next Thursday 6/15 at Andrew's Pizza, 7 PM

We should probably watch a short inspirational kite video, drink some beer, and work through a predetermined agenda. At the end we should have a to-do list and a member list- lets get started! A CGWA member would be great to have present also.

If this time works, I will clear it with Andrews and see if we can get discounted food/beer and have use of their big-ass TV.

Lets use this thread to see if the time/date works- lets then start a new thread for agenda items for the first meeting.

Thanks for listening...

Kirby
Original Co-founding Primary Assistant to the Founder of the new CGKA

Last edited by snowmeltriver on Thu Jun 08, 06 6:09 pm; edited 3 times in total

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostThu Jun 08, 06 1:35 pm     Reply with quote

Kirby, can you shoot me your email so you and I can touch base? It is key that Cory R is available since he's volunteered to speak and I'd like to see if Jen F and Mike can come since they currently have the CGKA account books and other materials.

As of now, that date/time works for me.

-Kirsten

Last edited by shredbarbie on Tue Sep 22, 09 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostThu Jun 08, 06 2:06 pm    from the other side... Reply with quote

Just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth. I windsurf, haven't tried kiting yet (will probably try it some day). I actually think kiters get a bit of a raw deal when it comes to access in Hood River. While I do like not having to worry about kiters at the Event Site, I think the Marina is just going to waste, and I don't think its fair that the kiters have to do the big long walk to the spit every time, especially with it being under water right now.
Last year there was an incident at the Marina where a windsurfer was seriously injured after running aground and getting launched. If the Port or whoever isn't going to dredge the Marina site, why don't the make it a kite beach? Anyone who's going to windsurf would be safer at either the far end of the marina (the little beach just before the actual marina river entrance) or at the Event Site.
I don't think very many windsurfers use the big marina beach anymore due to the growing sand bar, so it would seem a good idea to pitch to the port. I can't see many of the people who windsurf in Hood River opposing the idea. It would just give everyone more room.

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostThu Jun 08, 06 4:27 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't dismiss PDX'ers or Vancouverites(?) or others as primary position people. Mark and pdxmonkeyboy for example are/have been very proactive. It should be based on dedication and availability for the cause 1st and foremost.
Anyhoo.. let's not go there just yet.

Keep up the momentum.

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostThu Jun 08, 06 4:47 pm    Locals Reply with quote

CGKA sounds like a great idea, we need a voice like the windsurfers have had for years.

Henry

Last edited by Rico on Thu Jun 08, 06 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostThu Jun 08, 06 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Kirby, et al,

I'm emailing Cory R to see if he's avail on thurs 6/22 to speak at the meeting as well as Pepi Gerald from the CGWA and either Jen F and Mike F who hold the CGWA account and other materials.

I'd like to reiterate this meeting should be to focus on organizing an association for kiters in the Gorge area. CGWA

It would be great to get input from everyone on an agenda. I'm happy to compile. Throwing out some ideas to start…

• Define CGKA Mission
• Define & begin to assign CGKA volunteer positions
o Treasurer
o Secretary
o Legal council
o Moderator
o Spokesperson
o …
• Define and begin to assign tasks to accomplish to get CGWA as an effective tool
o Web site
 Design
 Programming / publishing
 Content – written and visual
o Logo design
o Membership
o Fundraising

• Decide when and how often to hold CGKA meetings
• Discuss most effective way/s to compile feedback from kiters on local issues
• Discuss most effective way/s to distribute information to kiters on local issues, meetings, etc.
• Discuss when to hold an open meeting to address lack of sand spit and brainstorm on solutions for all kiteboard access issues along the corridor.

Feel free to add to this list on this site.

Cheers,
Kirsten

Last edited by shredbarbie on Tue Sep 22, 09 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total

snowmeltriver

Since 21 May 2006
102 Posts
Little Kentucky
Stoked

PostThu Jun 08, 06 6:05 pm     Reply with quote

Henry and others....

I have edited my original post to reflect my thoughts of local vs. pdx involvement. If you were previously offended, my apologies. Please reread the post; I hope it is more clear now.

Kirby
Co-Apprentice to the Master Griller
Expert Burrito Consumer

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jun 08, 06 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

makes sense
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSun Jun 11, 06 6:39 pm    Article in Hood River news - FYI Reply with quote

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/News%20stories/046_news_2.htm

Kiters ask for temporary use of beach

Photo by Adam Lapierre
Happy sailing, Hood River local Bruce Peterson catches a swell at the Hatchery Wednesday afternoon as a barge passes through. Windsurfers and kiteboarders were treated this week with some of the best wind and waves of the year in the Gorge.

Caution: logs loose on river
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is warning boaters that about eight to 10 logs, each about 20 feet long, are floating between The Dalles and Bonneville dams on the Columbia River.
The logs entered the pool when a log boom stationed at the face of The Dalles Dam broke at about 5 p.m. on June 7; the debris the boom held, including the logs, passed through the dam’s spillway.
Park managers at The Dalles and Bonneville dams notified area port managers, sheriff’s departments and tow boaters. In addition, warnings about the logs are being broadcast on Channel 16, the U.S. Coast Guard’s notification channel for boaters.

By SUE RYAN
News staff writer
June 10, 2006

Two kiteboarders asked Port of Hood River commissioners Tuesday night to temporarily lift the ban on kiteboarding at Marina Beach.

Hood River resident Stephen Ford said he moved to the area last year and started kiteboarding 10 days ago.

“As a beginning kiter, it is hard to launch from the other site (off the Hook),” he said. “I’m just asking for two, three, four weeks until the water goes down.”

While Ford referred to a group of kiteboarders having the same concerns, he came alone. Middle school wind sports teacher Eric Cohn wrote in an e-mail to the commission that he felt the marina beach was underused at this time of year.

“I think it noteworthy that this time of year the marina beach is very lightly used, as both the weather and water are not yet warm, and kiters are looking for wind, not calm,” he said. “ The current situation of a nonexistent sand spit coupled with a very safe vacant launch site 200 feet upriver at the marina beach is very frustrating indeed.”

The commissioners said kiteboarders might want to consider reactivating the Kiteboard Association.

“I would say, have the sailboard and kite groups get together and have cooler heads prevail,” said Don Hosford.

Commissioner Fred Duckwall said it would be helpful to have an association to address rather than individuals. He stressed, though, that the current rules remain in place and that there have been some communication problems.

“The problem has been with staff going down and asking people not to use it (the beach) and kiters being confrontational over the issue,” he said.

Commissioner Hoby Streich asked Ford what would happen after the three-week period. Ford replied he thought peer pressure would have the kiters respect going back to the Spit after the water level went down. Commissioner Kathy Watson recommended that the commission ask the waterfront recreation committee to come together next week and discuss a solution.

“But safety first,” she said. “Within that framework would be safety and other people using it … balancing all the needs at the waterfront, not just wind sports.”
No meeting has been set yet. In other business, the commissioners discussed the unresolved issue of installing a cardlock pump at the airport, and a request by a Willow Valley Drive resident to take care of some sewer line issues that had developed. They also:
n Adopted the 2006-07 budget in the amount of $20,648,609. The budget is comprised of the $354,552 general fund, $14,804,394 PHR revenue fund, and the $5,489,663 bridge repair and replacement fund.

n Passed a resolution to apply for a Transportation Enhancement Grant from ODOT for developing a public bicycle and pedestrian system on waterfront property.

n Approved the sale of Lot 3 in the John Weber Business Park at Odell to Brian Prigel for $60,000.

shredbarbie

Since 17 Sep 2005
97 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostSun Jun 11, 06 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

Oh crud, Just realized I put the wrong date in my post for the proposed CGKA revitalization meeting... was proposed by Kirby for 6/15... this Thurs., not 6/22. Sorry all.

I'm trying to get confirmation on speakers,

Can someone nail down a location?

Also once I confirm speakers, it would be nice to get flyers printed and distributed around to annouce the meeting. I'm not available for that this week.

-Kirsten

Last edited by shredbarbie on Tue Sep 22, 09 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Jun 12, 06 8:21 am     Reply with quote

6-15 is short notice I will be out of town. 6-22 would work better for me and may give people time to plan for it. If not I will catch the next one.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Jun 12, 06 8:27 am     Reply with quote

If someone does get flyers designed, e-mail them to me and I can post some in the PDX area.

Unfortunately this thursday is not looking good for me Sad I have to attend a public hearing in Camas.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 12, 06 8:34 am     Reply with quote

My .02$'s. I DO think that a kiteboarder's organization should have PDX representation. Kiting is much bigger than HR. Let's tie in the folks who drive/fly/dream about being here. Moreover, the Port has heard most of what us locals have to say. So, I say bring it on Portland, Seattle, San Francisco etc...

Eric

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jun 12, 06 9:11 am     Reply with quote

Good idea. Board sports always seem to need representation before they are excepted and given fair treatment.

Please include me in your e-mail list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: