Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Can We All Just Get A Long

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Rodney King

Since 07 Jun 2006
3 Posts

Kook

PostThu Jun 08, 06 9:07 am    Can We All Just Get A Long Reply with quote

shredbarbie wrote:
Hi All,

Last weekend I sat and watched kiters take over the Marina in Hood River where it is posted ‘no kiteboarding’. As a kiter, I wanted to launch there as well -- sand, grass, decent launching wind, what’s not to like..? For the next few days I pondered what to do about it, knowing tickets and/or arrests might soon follow. I decided maybe the way to start with a solution to the kiteboarder unrest was for us to band together to discuss solutions to kiteboarding issues in the Gorge.

I now have lived in Hood River for a year, and it came to my attention that this area might not have a means, besides the e-bulletin boards, to unite the kiting community.

So, I called Jen Fitzimmons today, who was instrumental in starting the Columbia Gorge Kiteboarding Association and am researching what it would take to get that up and running as a tool for communication – not only between kiteboarders, but also with the port and any other local authorities. Jen is very busy and would like to hand the task over to those willing to take it on.

I’d like to propose we put together a volunteer board to run the CGKA, and that it would have a mission statement similar to Seattle Kiteboarding Association and other Kiteboarding Associations. (see below)

The main role of CGKA would be to facilitate communication. And we all know, the communication issue is critical right now due to the fact that the kiting area in Hood River, the sand bar, is underwater and there has been a high level of recent conflict between the kiting community and the ability to kite in areas where it’s not allowed. The dams say the river will be high thru June.

I hope that by banding together to discuss issues and come up with solutions together it behoove our sport to approach the port in a proactive, professional manner, rather than resort to total anarchy.

I know a couple of things for certain:

** In the end, kiters all have the same goal… to kite as much as possible with the safest, most fun conditions out there.

** Kiteboarding anarchy will most likely have negative results.

Please email me thoughts or post them on this and if you would like to be involved. My email is Kandrews@gorge.net

From http://www.seattlekitesurfing.org/origsite/mission.htm

Mission
To promote the growth of safe kitesurfing practices in the greater Seattle area by:
• Acting as a liaison for the kiting community with the local parks and authorities.
• Providing information about local beaches, weather and pertinent factoids.
• Promoting a sense of community to local kitesurfers with educational events.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: