Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone kite Lake Mohave durring the winter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Jun 07, 06 6:01 pm    Anyone kite Lake Mohave durring the winter? Reply with quote

I'm looking for info on the winter kiting on Lake Mohave. I was thinking of giving it a try on my way down to baja next winter. I would love to hear some first hand info at to the quality of the wind, water and camping in the area.
Thanks,
Bandito

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostThu Jun 08, 06 5:08 am     Reply with quote

I used to windsurf there. It is the best place in AZ, but is still pretty hit or miss. Jeb

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jun 08, 06 5:53 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
It is the best place in AZ, but is still pretty hit or miss. Jeb

That's a understatement. Be careful of the wind direction at Lake Mojo & don't even attempt it if it SW. You’ll know it’s south west when the ‘dust devils’ roll through the launch.

A friend of mine was recently pitched into Lake Mojo’s famous tree while riding (he wasn’t trying to jump it) breaking his pelvis & hips…

BTW He's Las Vegas local and a very competent rider.

jp

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jun 08, 06 9:18 am     Reply with quote

To: J.P.
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:19 am
Subject: vegas Quote message

Lake Mojave could very well be the best place on earth to ride. JP is right the "devil Wind" is scarry(we all have stories, and so will you if you ride there) but the warm fresh water, good wind (not devil wind all the time, but it can switch, keep an eye on the slope for Dust Devils) and it seems like you can jump higher there than anywhere else, make it a spot on my top ten.

You can camp for free at the riding spot six mile cove(pit toilet, no water) on holiday weekends it is a Zoo with other non kiters, I beleve the locals call them Mexicans. Other days you'll be the only one there. Some of the Local kiters can be a little protective of their spot, I believe one would call some of them assholes. they are the guys that look like they should just stay at the GYM. You'll know...

I have stoped there every late oct/nov on my way to Baja. I hit it in late may and it was good also. If you camp you can get supplies in Searchlight or Laughlin. Also you can take a trip to cottonwood marina for over priced ice and a convient store. Kitebeaches.com has direstions that will take you right to the spot. Make sure you tell the "locals" that you found it on the internet. They just love that!!!

Have fun!!!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jun 08, 06 1:14 pm     Reply with quote

Spent Thanksgiving at Lake Mojave camping at six mile with my wife. Got skunked for three days - was hanging out on a hammock on the beach and a sheriff rolls up - I figure I'm going get busted for camping in an illegal spot. He asks if I have any guns or weapons:

"uhh. no officer"
He's says he wouldn't camp out here with out a gun.

I was about 300 yards from the main camping area - the sheriff said it can get dicey, transients, fights, etc. I think my wife slept in the car with doors locked that night with the plan to run over my tent if things went bad. (I didn't like that plan)

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostThu Jun 08, 06 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

Agree...if you are camping down there you are better off camping with a group, saftey in numbers, and locking your car while you are out as there are many drifters and shady looking folks hang'n out. Good friends with the core Vegas kite-clan so I obviously have had no problems with the locals as that is who I go there with. They are all a nice group so just be cool, don't do anything stupid, introduce yourself with no attitude, show them you can kite safely then you should be fine and having beers with them after your session. Hands down it is some of the best kiting I have ever experienced. Winds and temps are real good in Sept-Nov. Hot as hell out there in the dead of summer, enough to blow kite bladders and melt the sunscreen bottle to the dashboard of your rental car. Smile

T

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostFri Jun 09, 06 8:41 am    Local Hazard Reply with quote

Every night just as the sun starts to set, there lurks a beast that is unforgiving in its rerentless attack on you, your loved ones and all at the cove. They are true locals, and do not discriminate in their taste for blood.

beware MOSQIUTOS, the bastards are ruthless!!!

BTW Most all locals are really cool some "locals" carry the surfer 'tude for sure.

There is a guy who camps there all summer, a camp host with radio contact to the NPS Rangers. At least he was there last year. There was. last year, also a crazy lady who lived in an old U haul truck. Lynne. She was ok, she kept the beach clean, learned to launch and land kites. I am sure she has moved on by now

Have Fun

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostFri Jun 09, 06 11:32 am     Reply with quote

Here are some shots:

It was dead calm for three days so we rented a 15' aluminum fishing boat and explored the lake (supercool). The next moring the wind kicked in at 40 knots and the return voyage got exciting. The marina called and ordered us to hang out until they rescued us with a bigger boat - I don't need no stinking rescue the waves are totally managable - then we cruise by this 60' houseboat getting bashed against the rocks.

Lake Mojave.jpg 
Nice Campsite - You got weapons?
 Nice Campsite - You got weapons?  Campsite.jpg 
   Black Widow.jpg 
   Land ho.jpg 
   wind.jpg 
   wind kicks in.jpg 
   Side canyon.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: