Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

I want a 5m kite! Pics from Rufus on Saturday...
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun May 28, 06 11:35 pm    I want a 5m kite! Pics from Rufus on Saturday... Reply with quote

Well, once again Rufus was a little psycho (rippin' current & gusty wind). JP and I met up with Tucker, his fam, Amery, Jeanette, Nate, Dave, and a few other a little after noon... Being the little pussy I am (scared to go out on my Fuel 7), I sat on the beach and snapped pics for a bit while Amery went out on his 9m Crossbow. Unfortunately at the time, the only two people I recognized on the water were him and Phil (Nate, Tucker, and JP were chillin'). And sorry I didn't get more pics, would have, but I'm retarded and forgot to charge the battery before we left.

P.S. - We're still looking for JP's '05 SS Misfit 123 that got away from him in the current. There's already another thread on here for a lost board a Rufus, so I added to it too, but we just heard that someone might (not sure if it's JP's) have picked it up in the HR area. If so, and you happen to know any contact phone numbers, etc. that would be great! Thanks!!!

Uh-oh, that sucks!  Luckily the guy was able to body drag all the way across and back in.
 Uh-oh, that sucks! Luckily the guy was able to body drag all the way across and back in.  DSC_0065.JPG 
Rippin' on the inside!
 Rippin' on the inside!  DSC_0061.JPG 
Who's that going toeside? :D
 Who's that going toeside? :D  DSC_0060.JPG 
Uploop, backroll, with a frontside HP.  What's that called again, Tucker?
 Uploop, backroll, with a frontside HP. What's that called again, Tucker?  DSC_0055.JPG 
Oh great Adam, way to zoom in too much on the high one
 Oh great Adam, way to zoom in too much on the high one  DSC_0051.JPG 
I'm not super fast with the Digi SLR (especially with the tele lens)
 I'm not super fast with the Digi SLR (especially with the tele lens)  DSC_0048.JPG 
Finally remember to bring the telephoto.  Yaaay for a good DOF!  [JP happy, before his board ran... lol]
 Finally remember to bring the telephoto. Yaaay for a good DOF! [JP happy, before his board ran... lol]  DSC_0039.JPG 
Hi JNETTE!
 Hi JNETTE!  DSC_0037.JPG 

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon May 29, 06 12:03 am     Reply with quote

Smile Yay for pictures...boooo for runaway boards!! Crying or Very sad

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostMon May 29, 06 12:56 am     Reply with quote

Nice pics Adam! Cool

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon May 29, 06 6:16 am     Reply with quote

Roosevelt ...Wow my head is still spining...yesterday was off the hook AND the sun finally made it out. Huge glassy swell, demo'd a couple North Coast Surfboards 5'3" strapped boards. The boards simply rocked, reasonably priced and custom to boot, check em out, nice guys too. High wind kiting has changed forever for me and windsurfing for that matter has been cut by 2/3 yet again, I want a 5m is all I can say. The place was Waroo-ville, seemed like 2/3's of the kites were Waroo's. I was having a blast on my Waroo 7m riding swell, next thing you know the guy that runs New Wind was on a Waroo 5m boosting huge...my next kite is a 5m

FYI Roosevelt was cloudy most of the weekend, rained a little, but was 12m in the AM and 7m in afternoon every day. I definately was skeptical of the being suckered by the iWindsurf forecast but they nailed it

Mike S

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon May 29, 06 7:07 am     Reply with quote

mikes wrote:
Roosevelt ...Wow my head is still spining...yesterday was off the hook AND the sun finally made it out. Huge glassy swell, demo'd a couple North Coast Surfboards 5'3" strapped boards. The boards simply rocked, reasonably priced and custom to boot, check em out, nice guys too. High wind kiting has changed forever for me and windsurfing for that matter has been cut by 2/3 yet again, I want a 5m is all I can say. The place was Waroo-ville, seemed like 2/3's of the kites were Waroo's. I was having a blast on my Waroo 7m riding swell, next thing you know the guy that runs New Wind was on a Waroo 5m boosting huge...my next kite is a 5m

FYI Roosevelt was cloudy most of the weekend, rained a little, but was 12m in the AM and 7m in afternoon every day. I definately was skeptical of the being suckered by the iWindsurf forecast but they nailed it

Mike S

I got there around 1 and started on my 12m. Got blowen off the water. Went out on my 9m. That got me another hour then blowen off the water. I too want a 5M!!
Mark

roosevelt.gif 

www.naishkites.com

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon May 29, 06 10:22 am    BOW KITE SIZE? Reply with quote

Kind of off topic, but whatever...

Though I've never flown, and still don't completely like the look of bows, for days like the last couple, one would really be nice. I'm still keeping my Fuels 7 and 11, so I'm just trying to figure what would work best for these high wind (which I like), but super gusty on top of that conditions.

And though I'm all for Slingy, for the price, I'm just going to go with a Waroo. A 5m should be fine (for ~40kts+), right? I didn't even realize they made a 3m, but that just seems too small. I'm ~140lbs.

EDIT: Just read on Best's site that the 5m may work in winds above 35kts, but it is NOT recommend, regardless of experience, etc. It's designed for people 60kg and under for winds up to 35kts. What do you think of that?

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon May 29, 06 10:56 am     Reply with quote

It means Best isn't going to go on record recommending or encouraging anyone kite above 35kts !!!! The Best pimps throw that into their messages every now and again

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon May 29, 06 12:17 pm    Re: BOW KITE SIZE? Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:

EDIT: Just read on Best's site that the 5m may work in winds above 35kts, but it is NOT recommend, regardless of experience, etc. It's designed for people 60kg and under for winds up to 35kts. What do you think of that?

I'm no Best pimp, hated the company til I rode a W. There was some discussion about that regarding the 5m, that they are a "trainer" and maybe are built light. All I know is what I saw, the guy is a dealer so can probably abuse one, but it worked one day that's for sure. I'd find out more for myself before I buy one. There was a guy on a 5m Fuel, looked to be having fun, but I didn't watch closely, didn't see him riding waves, can't comment other than he was out and having fun buzzing around

Mike S

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon May 29, 06 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

Nice pics Adam!

After spending Saturday at Rufus on my 7m Yarga (merely surviving I'd say) and watching Amery tear it up on his 9m Crossbow, I went to New Wind and got a 7m Waroo. It fit the bill perfect for a nukey Sunday. I think I was more at the low end of it than the high end and the wind was probably mid twenties on the water at SS.

I think that flat/bridled kites have some great characteristics that make them perfect for days like Saturday/Sunday in the Gorge. They make crazy conditions into a mellow session. Pretty cool.

5m and 7m C kites are a blast too, and I always loved my 7m Yarga. Its just having a 7m flat kite is like having a 5m-7m-9m all in one, and I really like that.

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostMon May 29, 06 8:27 pm    Sunday at Rufus Reply with quote

Sunday at Rufus

Barge
 Barge  Barge.jpg 
Doo?
 Doo?  Wheres my bar.jpg 
Watch out for kites up there!
 Watch out for kites up there!  Sorry.jpg 
Railey
 Railey  Jeff Railey.jpg 

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon May 29, 06 8:59 pm     Reply with quote

WOW~! YOWWWWW! YEAHOO!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue May 30, 06 12:09 am     Reply with quote

Tak and Amery rippin' it up!!! Jeff isn't still wearing his drysuit, is he? Cool

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 30, 06 1:21 am     Reply with quote

looks pretty slim fit to me

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 30, 06 6:02 am     Reply with quote

Hi Mike S. I PM'd you.

Eric

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostTue May 30, 06 6:22 am     Reply with quote

Awesome!

I can't believe how high Amery is in that one shot.

Jeff rippin' it!!

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue May 30, 06 9:29 am     Reply with quote

That shot of Amery is sick.

Totally jealous - spent three days at the beach - pretty deperate on Saturday got two 30 min sessions at Netarts when driving rain storms came through - dropped to zero when they passed.
Sunday and Monday dead.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 30, 06 11:22 am     Reply with quote

wow
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: