Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beginner kiting spots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed May 10, 06 12:03 pm    Beginner kiting spots Reply with quote

So I know Sunset Beach is good for beginners but where else in the Portland area is good? Jones Beach? I am just beginning to get short rides and I don't wanna deal with fast currents or boats.

Anyone planning on doing Sunset Beach on Sunday?

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu May 11, 06 12:39 pm    Re: Beginner kiting spots Reply with quote

Scribble wrote:
So I know Sunset Beach is good for beginners but where else in the Portland area is good? Jones Beach? I am just beginning to get short rides and I don't wanna deal with fast currents or boats.

Anyone planning on doing Sunset Beach on Sunday?

Personally..
Sauvie's is probably best in the Portland Area,
The Spit in Hood River for East spots, but you walk a lot,
Roosevelt for far east spots if you have Jet Ski assitance or just watch how far you go out into the river and the launch is a bit sketchy.
Rooster can be good to, but gets kinda crazy and east winds are gonna be gone most likely until fall.

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu May 11, 06 4:45 pm     Reply with quote

all that t.smith said but also the jones option as well. i would guess that that would rival sauvies. a little further to get to put plenty of room for the walk of shame.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 11, 06 4:52 pm    - Reply with quote

why is rooster only good for east winds? (I'm new too).

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 11, 06 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

Fly - RR doesn't usually have enough wind speed on a westerly direction. - East winds - everyone is smilin - but it can blow hard - real real hard. - C

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostThu May 11, 06 6:33 pm     Reply with quote

at rooster rock i dont think theres any shore line this time of year, probably not so good for beginers. might be a good day there on sunday though. its getting HOT. Easterlies blow there because its like the tailpipe of the gorge, funnling winds together and making them acellerate. in westerlys its the opposite.

jones is really great if your learning on a small kite its like a way windier version of sauvies. if it werent so far away i would say its better than sauvies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: