Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ethics and survival at the HR Marina
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Apr 27, 06 5:46 am    Ethics and survival at the HR Marina Reply with quote

Yesterday around 2pm, the nice 12M westerly turned SW and got ugly.

A guy went out anyway and promptly crashed his kite and got separated from his board out in the channel. He couldn't seem to drag back to shore because of the strong outflow from Hood River. He was floating out there for probably an hour when a guy showed up in a boat.

Everyone on shore was very nervous for the kiter who had to be getting very cold at that point. The sheriff had been called but had not shown up yet so some guys asked the boater (who happend to be a local kiter) if he would help the guy out.

The boater refused saying he was "tired of always picking people up, gas is up to x.xx/gallon", etc, etc. After a lot of yelling and confrontation, the boater conceeded and went out to pick the guy up.

What do ya reckon? Is the boater a jerk for not becoming a rescue boat everytime someone yells for help? Or is it rugged individualism out there, where we all kite at our own risk Question

tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostThu Apr 27, 06 5:55 am     Reply with quote

I guess everyone can make their own decision about whether the guy was a jerk or not. Really, the story is why doesn't Hood River have any water safety? Hmmm...I had many friends with the Sheriff Department that where were avid watersports athletes that tried many times to get a water safety patrol going. They even secured funding for jetskis, a tow-sled, etc. But in the end, nobody cares. Somebody is going to get their head cut off by kite lines in the next two years - mark my words. And as soon as that happens, kiting is done on the Columbia. Two years ago a guy broke his leg on the sandbar and it took them two hours to get to him?? Pathetic. Hood River was built on its watersports reputation, but yet the Good Ol' Boy Philosophy at Town Hall keeps any progressive care, maintenance, safety and patrolling from being implemented on the river. I think there needs to be more 'self-patrolling.' In Australia, if you don't know what you are doing, or if you are under-skilled for the beach or conditions, they will cut your lines - no questions asked. It's for everyone's safety! At first, I thought it was brutal, but then I realized that it saves the venue, saves lives of those around as well as the idiot who was about to go out in conditions he/she wasn't ready for...just my two cents as usual.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostThu Apr 27, 06 6:05 am     Reply with quote

i think that the guy in the boat should have been a lil more courteous, if it's his ass on the line i doubt he'd be complaining. One thing i've noticed with HR is that its pretty open, police would have to cover a lot of area and there isnt any funds for police(in case you havent noticed)

so i would say its upon us, to save us, from us! Laughing

i got a question? the boater was a local kiter? or was he from australia?
i dont think its right to go cutting lines(even if you think ur saving a life). my opinion would be to use verbal communication...instead of tuff guy scenario.

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Apr 27, 06 6:09 am     Reply with quote

i think this underscores the fact that we need to get each others back...no questions asked. that was the thing that attracted me the most about this sport in the beginning. there did not seem to be any attitudes, ego's, or high maintence about it. no matter where you go in this world when you see another kiter you can look in their eyes and see the "brutha hood" look and acknowledgement. you've both been there before, you know what it's like to be scared shit less. you both know the feeling of totally being at the elements mercy. there's an unspoken understanding. ya just cover for one another. wether it mean launching each other or helping resuce someone who has gone down.

put another way, if i were in the backcountry in a snow storm and saw someone go down in a slide i sure as hell shit wouldn't just leave them there.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Apr 27, 06 6:33 am     Reply with quote

I have been in the same situation and seen guys in it. I got out of it myself by dragging back into the main channel and then back in. You can fight the outgoing current of the HR all day and get nowhere, best plan is to get into the main channel where the current will take you downriver away from where Hood river comes out. Then you can drag back in, even if you end up all the way up at the event site you will be on land at least.

I feel sorry for guys that get stuck out there, but at the end of the day you got to assume you are on your own. You cannot rely on others to save your butt.

I'm amazed that I think I have heard maybe 2 or 3 different cases where the coast guard had to rescue a kiter on the Oregon coast? That's amazing considering just how few kiteboarders there are out there... Are we maybe getting a little too confident and too often getting ourself in situations we can't get out of?

Here's a challenge for everybody who hasn't had to self rescue in awhile: Next time your out, drop your kite intentionally and do a self rescue. Just to make sure you can. Then when it happens that you have to do one for real, you'll be ready.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Apr 27, 06 6:38 am     Reply with quote

P.S. I am not advocating for never helping out a fellow kiter. I hope if I ever really get stuck and someone has the opportunity to get me, they come for me, cash/beer/gear whatever will be waiting for them when I get back on dry land. Very Happy

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostThu Apr 27, 06 7:05 am     Reply with quote

Happily i think this is the exception rather than the rule. I've seen and had lots of you okay? checks from people over the years whilst both windsurfing and kiting. Last year when i was taking a long time to water relaunch my kites windsurfers kept an eye on me at Jones and Rooster. Maybe that guy has rescued a few of the people who don't bother offering gas money or a 6-pack, and once they get back to the beach re-rig go back out and get in trouble again could make you feel like say f*** it next time.
Sheriffs in HR used to have jetskis in the late '90s, cos one came and offered me a tow when a barge was coming and i was taking a long time to waterstart.

MW

Since 09 Jan 2006
186 Posts
Hood River, Oregon
Stoked

PostThu Apr 27, 06 7:23 am     Reply with quote

Usually it's proper to offer $20.00 per rescue. Seems like a lot, but that was what was happening last year at the event site, and most people were willing to pay that to get out of harm's way. I had the same problem one time when my 5th line system got tangled and a guy from Mosier rescued me. He was cool with just a cold beer, but I wanted to give him more for going out of his way.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu Apr 27, 06 7:38 am     Reply with quote

As a boat owner and someone who shuttles some for kiting on the sled ,I

know the use and time/money invested injust having the toys not to

mention when its in use. Others don't always automatically see this pain

in the ass side and abuse as a owner /operator. That being said, there is

no reason,if aware, not to help a fellow human in dire straits if the means

are in place. If it burns you not to have some compensation, make it

known through some suttle words that the boat is not running on swamp

water and you don't enjoy rescuein' people or leave your boat at home.

However ,I would say having the boat there gives you some

responsibility. If the man had drowned because it would have cost you 1

\2 gallon of gas, I would say anyone who did not assist should be jailed.

The cost, as a tax payer, of the death and all involved with the

sherriff /investigation ect. would be much more. I am sure Will at Floras

lake has been gypted out of a few gallons of gas by a couple of kiters.

But as the great guy he is he always helps when he can. But,thats just

my opinion,man. And I can be a real asshole. Once I did not help a fellow

kiter when I could have. He turned out fine but years later it still bothers

me. I know if I would have helped him that bother would be a positive

memory.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Apr 27, 06 7:49 am     Reply with quote

I think Bam and PKH have it nailed. just like in the backcountry you have to assume you are on your own, make good judgement calls on the conditions and your ability, and have the skills to rescue yourself when it all hits the fan. When S*** really happens thats when you must rely on others but that should happen when things are completely out of your control.

Many places in the world dont have a rescue team that you can call for help. The fact that HR is a 'mecca' of sorts I would think city leaders would pull there head out of the sand and realize that tourism is the only thing keeping the city alive and having a rescue team would really make beginner want to be in HR when learning.

i think its a fine ballance between taking care of yourself, having the kite community help you (just as in the BC) and having 'outsiders' help.

i think it comes down to personal responsibility and some people dont want to take any and rely on others to take care of them.

IMO the guy in the boat can spare a couple minutes and 50 cents to potentially save a guys life. hypothermia sets in really fast in 48 degree water.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Apr 27, 06 7:56 am     Reply with quote

Gotta love spring winds in the Gorge.
Itchin to ride and willing to die for it.

Literally!

Be carefull out there!

-Hein

Eat/Shit/Kite

Since 02 Apr 2006
8 Posts
ON THE WATER
Kook

PostThu Apr 27, 06 9:09 am    Advice...2Cents worth Reply with quote

As a kieboarder YOU must make confident GO OR NO GO DECISIONS.

Also make sure after you have purchased all of you gear for thousands of dollars that you have HEALTH insurance and LIFE insurance for you mommys and daddys. Thats my 2 cents of advise, cause you ain't gonna see me at a fundraiser for someone who got hurt and dosent have insurance, but has all the gear and is willing to take risks.

Quote:
In Australia, if you don't know what you are doing, or if you are under-skilled for the beach or conditions, they will cut your lines - no questions asked.
Man that is harsh. how do you say Asshole in Australian?

Make sure to Eat a good meal before you go out, and Take a Shit, you don't want a dirty wetsuit in the ambulance,... and dont forget to bring a towel

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Apr 27, 06 9:41 am    Re: Ethics and survival at the HR Marina Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:

The boater refused saying he was "tired of always picking people up, gas is up to x.xx/gallon", etc, etc. After a lot of yelling and confrontation, the boater conceded and went out to pick the guy up.

What do ya reckon? Is the boater a jerk for not becoming a rescue boat every time someone yells for help? Or is it rugged individualism out there, where we all kite at our own risk Question

I was at Roosevelt last year when the owner of Kite-line (bend or.) pulled the same move and stated pretty much those exact words.

In his defense, he was dunk off his ass so I'm not sure if he would have been the best person to go out and rescue the down kiter however there were plenty of able bodies who could have jumped on his jet ski and dragged the down kiter in.

What I find unfortunate is how the sport has changed since I first starting back in the day. Back in the day we would NOT think twice about helping another kiter.

It’s sad that as our sport grows, the unattractive characteristics of mainstream have found there way into our sport and if you read the other post how they rationalize that “we all on our own” that's a bunch of BULL SHIT!

While it's true I'm a boy scout (eagle for that matter) and the motto is do a good true daily, I believe anyone that has the ability to help out another kiter in distress and doesn't is an ASS HOLE

jp

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Apr 27, 06 9:58 am     Reply with quote

I think Bam is dead-on, what makes this sport cool is that the brudthas are looking out for each other. Good for Slither and crew for providing the “yelling and confrontation” to get the prong with the boat to help out.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Apr 27, 06 10:04 am     Reply with quote

J.P.

I agree with you 100%!!

However, we all need to be responsible and make good decisions before going out and not have the 'someone will always bail me out' mind set. At some point that someone won't be there.

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostThu Apr 27, 06 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

If I had the chance to help someone with anything (rescue or not) I would help them. That's just being a friendly and courteous member of society.~

KingE

Since 27 Apr 2006
58 Posts
Lake Wenatchee

PostThu Apr 27, 06 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

>Good for Slither and crew for providing the “yelling and confrontation” to >get the prong with the boat to help out.

I love to be helpful, and if it comes to it that is the thing to do,but why didn't the "yelling and confrontation", or maybe just a nice suggestion that the weather might not work out, happen when the guy wanted to launch in lame conditions?

If you show up at a paraglide or hangglide launch and look kooky or are setting up in lame conditions people don't just watch to see what happens. It is nice to have someone watching your back BEFORE you get into trouble.!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: