Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Confused about kite leash options.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:25 pm    Confused about kite leash options. Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2005 slingy profire carbon bar that came with a wrist leash. I want to replace it with a leash I can hook to my harness (Tabu). Where do I hook it to my bar? On the back lines like the wrist leash, or is there some kind of 5th line mod for this bar which could attach to? ANY advice welcomed! Thanks Very Happy

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

If it didn't come with a oneline 5th line then hook it to either SS rings on the rear lines. this will create a spectacular spinning/thrashing depower of the kite when the bar is released. You can buy a oneline kite and add it to the rig. if it has a one line then hook it to that.
peace

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

Unless you get a leash longer than the standard "oh shit" (what you have), or Oneline leash, you're not really going to have enough slack to connect it to your actual harness (handlepass leash, or even on the side). You do however have enought to connect it to your clip & ride and harness (this is the way I ride, but will not depower the kite should you let go of the bar), or to your Oneline leader (again ONLY if you've got a 5th line setup) and harness.

If you don't have Oneline and you're still planning to use it as a safety option, get a longer leash and attach it to your either of your "Oh Shit" handles. Without this, you'll for surely run into steering problems unless you've got the harness end attached to the spreader bar.

Hope that's clear, but if not, let me know and I'll try to explain better/further. Very Happy

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:53 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I've read about those "death spirals" when leashed to the back lines Shocked Is my best/safest option to buy a one line kit AND a longer leash?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 17, 06 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

The BEST/SAFEST option is indeed the ONELINE UPGRADE and luckily you get everything you need, including a newer beefier leash with emergency release (it however isn't much longer than the one you have now, but it doesn't need to be because you're clipped in just above your clip & ride).

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostMon Apr 17, 06 1:02 pm     Reply with quote

best option is to do the oneline, you get sheetability, a nice depower, self landing option. The Death sprial will not kill YOU but it can damage the kite as it tends to do one or two more sprials on the water/ground depending on where you flag it it could do some damage. It also puts a nice tangle in the lines to sort out later. There is a nice video posted a while back that show the depower with a oneline.
Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 17, 06 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

Probably wasn't my vid... but here's the one I put together of JP using his at South Jetty!

Right Click and Save Target As:
Oneline.wmv [~5mb]

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 17, 06 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

Cool vid Kataku! Oneline looks like the way to go. I checked out how much it cost and realized just how broke I really am. Looks like its wrist cuff leash for me! I'm totally new to kiting so I won't be doing too many spinning moves this summer anyway, and if I do spin I'll just have to keep my hands on the bar and spin myself back.

Laters....

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Apr 17, 06 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

Until you decide to do five line leash, Clip the wrist leash to the side of your spreader bar . The wrist leash leaves you in a bad onehanded position if it gets hung up and does not depower all the way. be careful.. I ride a four line set up in the waves and use a rear line leash,no problems. Learn to self land or look for others to land your kite. The depowered death spirals and line mess will be kept at bay.

hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 17, 06 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

Registered,

Thanks dude. That works great! The wrist cuff kinda weirded me out.

This is a really good forum Thumb's Up

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Apr 17, 06 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

And to clarify I clip it to the side of the bars loopwhere it attaches to the harness, not the hook itself. I have also seen it hooked to the d-ring on side of harness but when pulled funny directions with fury Shocked the rings stitches can fail. So this is why I do it there, on the side of the spreader bar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: