Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New to kiting...so new that.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WOLVERINE

Since 17 Apr 2006
19 Posts
Lake Tapps Island

PostMon Apr 17, 06 4:42 am    New to kiting...so new that..... Reply with quote

I don't even have gear yet. My brother is way into this and the more I check it out the more I really want to learn. Kinda on a budget right now, but slowly picking up some savings for stuff. Gonna be looking for deals but in the mean time...

Who all on here is from the Seattle area? Anyone got any hookups? I have heard good things about the Urban Surf school. (Planning on attending one of these days.) Also heard about Jetty Island and Golden Gardens. Are these good places to check this sport out and meet some peeps already into it?

WOLVERINE

Since 17 Apr 2006
19 Posts
Lake Tapps Island

PostMon Apr 17, 06 5:14 am     Reply with quote

i guess no one else is awake at O dark thirty. by the way, like most sports, there are always some equipment that just doesn't NEED to be top notch. Usually it's the stuff that DOESN"T have to do with comfort. Is this the same here?

Should I spend $ on stuff like a good harness and wetsuit and maybe skimp on buying brand new kites? What should I spent the dough on guys/gurls?

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Apr 17, 06 8:04 am     Reply with quote

you definitely will need a harness and a wetsuit.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostMon Apr 17, 06 8:35 am     Reply with quote

if you buy a brand new kite, chances are youre gonna have some holes in it by the time the learning curve is done.

try finding a pakage deal where you get all you need for one price.(hopefuuly cheap;D)

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Apr 17, 06 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Buy used, buy used, buy used. You can start here:

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

Thumb's Up

WOLVERINE

Since 17 Apr 2006
19 Posts
Lake Tapps Island

PostMon Apr 17, 06 10:03 pm     Reply with quote

thats what I figured. The plan is to not skimp on the wetsuit and buy the harness new. I figure everything else I can get used for way cheaper and not worry about wrecking to expensive stuff.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Apr 18, 06 6:46 am     Reply with quote

WOLVERINE wrote:
thats what I figured. The plan is to not skimp on the wetsuit and buy the harness new. I figure everything else I can get used for way cheaper and not worry about wrecking to expensive stuff.

Sounds like a perfect plan to me... another area not to skimp on is the bar, make sure you get a bar that isn't really warn in or so old it is lacking the latest safety features.

Thumb's Up

Jake

Since 18 Apr 2006
5 Posts
Sammamish, WA
Kook

PostTue Apr 18, 06 11:51 am    I am in the Seattle area... Reply with quote

Wolverine

I live on the eastside of Seattle and always looking for someone to kite with whether that be on snow, mtn board, buggy, boat or water. Give me a shout if you want to meet up and do some flying.

I am actually considering going out to the ocean this weekend and would be happy to share in fuel cost in exchange for flying some of my kites. Wink

--Jake

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Apr 18, 06 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

wolfy,

i have a cabrinha blactip 16m in my attic that i would sell cheap. why cheap? (good question, grasshopper) because my 04 ss fuel 15m is SO much easier to fly (this is often true regarding newer-vs-older kites)

however, it is for sale (did i mention for sale cheap-like maybe three cases of beer and some nauchos)

good luck dude, and in gereral used is fine but the industry does march on and newer equipment can be easier to learn on but more expensive.
jimmi

Jake

Since 18 Apr 2006
5 Posts
Sammamish, WA
Kook

PostTue Apr 18, 06 1:25 pm    Newer equipment Reply with quote

Not to mention the newer equipment will likely be safer than something from even 5 years ago. That could mean the difference between a scary session and an abrupt ending. Products are still evolving and getting better all the time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 18, 06 2:04 pm    newbie recommendation Reply with quote

you know... you might look at bestkiteboarding.com and get new gear. they are probably the cheapest entry point for kites, and have great stuff. I chose them for the money. the new 'bow' style kites (best = waroo, slingshot = turbo diesel, etc...) are aimed at safety with better depower, and help you progress way faster than the 'C' shape kites. A lot of training schools I've looked at lately are switching over to them almost exclusively.

also, for wetsuits, go to gorgeperformance.com (they are on macadam), they are having a wetsuit blowout right now. (and they sell kite gear). they also have used kites, but I wouldn't get anything too old. In my research, I found that some of the older kites were slower, and were harder to learn on.

I started with a trainer, then lessons, then more trainer, then I just bought a kite and started flying it. I still haven't mastered the 'stay upwind' part of it, but I'm safe, and I have a good time.

just my $.02

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: