Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Static charge build up in kite lines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Apr 16, 06 11:39 pm    Static charge build up in kite lines? Reply with quote

Just curious if any of you had anything similar happen before. I took Nick out to the airport/beach (PDX) earlier this afternoon (5:00ish) so he could play on the B3 for a bit, but just as we got there a nasty dark cloud rolled overhead. I figured big deal, we'll deal with a light sprinkle (actually more like a torential downpour) just as we've done many times in the past, but this time was weird... Immediately after launching and getting the kite up I heard a snap-crackin-static-charge sound in the lines. So, not knowing exactly what was going on, but assuming it was electrical I quickly dumped the kite and dropped the bar. That was that though. Storm passed within a few minutes, we relaunched, and didn't have any problems for the rest of the day... Cool

WOLVERINE

Since 17 Apr 2006
19 Posts
Lake Tapps Island

PostMon Apr 17, 06 5:28 am     Reply with quote

sounds like you came pretty close to becoming water base BBQ bro. That can't be good to feel static electricity during a strom while you are on the water.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 17, 06 6:26 am     Reply with quote

Shocked

t-storms were all over the region yesterday, try to check the radar before going out:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=rtx&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Apr 17, 06 7:03 am     Reply with quote

Talk to Ben Franklin. He figured out kites work well in electric storm long ago Very Happy Shocked Idea

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostMon Apr 17, 06 8:30 am     Reply with quote

i've had a simular experience....

the day was going away fast and i couldnt leave(we've all been there)

it was getting dark and i was messing around trying loops and funky spins....when i noticed some kinda light on the line.....as i got to checking it out a lil more i saw lil sparks and then a lil "stringer" of static electricity...the more the lines would rub together the more charge would build up and the brighter it got.

when i was finally done i checked over my lines and noticed one line had a light "fuzz" or fray where the lines had been rubbing....anyone ever had that happen? i was using dyneema line 220kg

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostMon Apr 17, 06 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Here is a interesting thread on Kiteforum.com

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2326737&highlight=static+charge

~M

www.naishkites.com

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 17, 06 10:21 am     Reply with quote

static electricity is a sign of impending strike. physics 103 tells story of tourists on observation tower taking pictures of eachother as their hair is on end from static. seconds later all are dead from a strike. if your rubbing lines are generating charges, you are in a bad situation Wink

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Apr 17, 06 10:25 am     Reply with quote

haha, yea, the B3's lines definately weren't generating charge rubbing on one another (the kite wasn't loopin'), so I figured it was probably external... Sad

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Apr 17, 06 11:16 am     Reply with quote

scary
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Apr 17, 06 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

haha jp's right, wait ..I mean crazy Razz - yeah that shit was crazy though, thought adam was gonna catch a lightning bolt to the dome~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: