Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What's a good time to take a trip to Florida

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
KITEADDICT

Since 13 Apr 2006
117 Posts
PDX west side
Stoked

PostFri Apr 14, 06 3:56 pm    What's a good time to take a trip to Florida Reply with quote

Has any one been kiting in Florida? Im planning a trip. I've got sky miles. I need to know what time of year where to stay. where to kite. I have never been there.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostFri Apr 14, 06 4:04 pm     Reply with quote

I just got back from Florida and kite there every year at Marco island, Naples, and up in Jupiter. I'd go with Jupiter being as it gets the most consistent wind. Late fall to early spring is the time. I go the end of March and typically get some good days. Bring your BIG kites.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostMon Apr 17, 06 7:48 am    about 2038 Reply with quote

when you are too old for anything else

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah man you just missed our season.

Last week was filled with epic winds but thats probably about it until the fall/winter...

Unless we get lucky and get a nice fat hurricane ... cross my fingers.. (and cross them that it only swings close by and not towards my house)..

Actually I am looking to head out to Oregon in July. My dad lives near the Gorge, just a ways down I 84 from Hood River. Can anyone give me some tips on what to bring 185lb rider.. like the flats stuff the best.

.. As for Florida, in my area (Tampa / St. Petersburg / etc).. Jan - March is pretty damn nice. I fly 11-15m most days.. occasionally need a 20m for the those softer afternoons.. but 9m is about as small as you need if you are 150lbs +.

www.fksa.org and go to the city/area of choice. Guys there will hook you up with info for sure.

-B

bleighty

Since 17 Apr 2006
86 Posts
St. Petersburg, FL

PostMon Apr 17, 06 12:07 pm     Reply with quote

Oh..

If you want a vacation to remember tho..

Hit Key West and call the guys at the kitehouse. They will take you out on a boat for 60 bucks per day (Equipment INCLUDED) and you can kite the miles and miles and miles of the flats..

http://www.thekitehouse.com/ for more detailed info and pricing..

I know that in the month of December there was but 1 or 2 days that were not kite-worthy this last year.

If you are going for a prolonged stay you can rent boats CHEAP and bring your own gear.. gotta learn how to launch off a boat though.. not hard.. just takes a couple times to get used to doing it.

-B

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Apr 17, 06 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

bleighty wrote:
Oh..

If you want a vacation to remember tho..

Hit Key West and call the guys at the kitehouse. They will take you out on a boat for 60 bucks per day (Equipment INCLUDED) and you can kite the miles and miles and miles of the flats..

http://www.thekitehouse.com/ for more detailed info and pricing..

I know that in the month of December there was but 1 or 2 days that were not kite-worthy this last year.

If you are going for a prolonged stay you can rent boats CHEAP and bring your own gear.. gotta learn how to launch off a boat though.. not hard.. just takes a couple times to get used to doing it.

-B

Sounds like a good deal... having a boat in the keys makes all the difference.

KITEADDICT

Since 13 Apr 2006
117 Posts
PDX west side
Stoked

PostTue Apr 18, 06 3:03 pm     Reply with quote

Wow thanks for all the info guys. The keys sound pretty cool.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: