Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Converting 04/05 fuels to Oneline
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 11:07 am    Converting 04/05 fuels to Oneline Reply with quote

Has anybody converted their 04 or 05 fuels to Oneline? Does the pump leash loop work OK as a connection point? For the 04 Fuels you're supposed to get the connection point reinforced. Anyone know how much Airtime or other repair place charge for this? And, how do the older kites work in five line mode?

Thanks

Steve

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 09, 06 11:25 am     Reply with quote

I converted a 15m '04 last year, and it worked fine. The leaders for your '04 bar are not the same as the '05 - you will have to replace these as well, otherwise the center line (5th) will not be the correct length. I attached the center line to the pump leash attachment point without modification, and no problems yet. I prefer my converted '04 bar to my '05, though the handle is starting to unravel. Take it to the shop if you decide to convert it - I'm sure they will help you.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSun Apr 09, 06 11:28 am     Reply with quote

airtime put a connection on my deisel for $35 and it works really well. if the kite is an 04 it might need it because the pump leash was a few inches to the side of the center but the 05s are fine.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Apr 09, 06 12:21 pm     Reply with quote

Steve - All of JP's FUELS '04-05's are converted to Oneline and he hasn't had any problems whatsoever... Just use the normal pump leash attachment point as you said (that's what you're supposed to put it on).

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

wow I didnt even think about that
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSun Apr 09, 06 2:47 pm     Reply with quote

When I used to have the onelines, all of the fifth lines movement were really constricted after 20 sesions or so. Eventually I couldn't pull it through from above the bar even. when disected I found a: lots of sand ect in the nylon tube in the chicken line where the fifth lives. B: from the binding the nylon tube had twisted up and actually tried to hemereage though the chicken line which in turn, made it bulge and wear prematurly.I replaced one bars chicken line twice last season and that bar was only usedn for my 7 and 9. So all of my remaining bars (2) with fifth lines are for snow only and have been un-onelined for smooth operation. Steve in Newport the 4 lines are better for the waves anywho. It keeps my fuels from bowkite impersonation attempt in the waves.Slingshot makes the oneline conversions that unoneline them to fix this. If you don't use the bar much maybe you won't have the problems but most who had them with lots of use have retroed them. I use three bars for my quiver on the water and all are 4 lines. Good luck and may the wind goddes bless our beach with cold north winds with nw swell soon. P.S. don't use your pump leash on the ss 04s for the fifth attachment with any tension when flying , they are not tough enough.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

yeah one line in waves is no good

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Apr 09, 06 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

registered - You must of had the 1st generation Oneline setup, eh? The 2nd gen (and also '06) stuff doesn't route the Oneline leader through the core of the chicken loop rope (and with the single core Spectra CL works perfectly). That being said, it really isn't a problem. I don't have Oneline on any of my bars, but if I did, I'd only be using it for relaunch, just as JP does. It can be nice to use for depower, but the main thing is to get the kite on it's back should you put it in the water... If you're ridin' in the waves, then a Wave Grenade is probably a good idea too.

registered wrote:
P.S. don't use your pump leash on the ss 04s for the fifth attachment with any tension when flying , they are not tough enough.

What's the difference between the '04 and '05 Oneline/pump leash attachment points?

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

help me understand
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 3:10 pm     Reply with quote

makes a good point
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 4:12 pm     Reply with quote

Although I haven't tried it yet, I figured the oneline would work good in the waves, allowing more depower of the kite so you don't get pulled down the line too fast or out the back. I also like the 5th line concept for water re-launch, but also for coming in and landing the kite on the beach. Rarely is there someone to catch my kite when I come in, and I'm tired of using the oh shit handle and having the kite do 20 death spirals before it hits the sand. The oneline would allow you to just release the bar and let the kite fall gently to the beach, if I understand how it works correctly.

Also, I think my kite hit the water maybe twice all of last season, so dealing with the kite being messed up in the waves isn't that much of an issue, and the wave grenade allows you to jettison the 5th line attachment anyway, eliminating the bow-tie problem.

I looked at my 04 and 05 fuels, and the pump leash attachment looks the same on each one. I'm not sure why they recommend reinforcing the 04 but not the 05 - maybe there's more material holding it together that you can't see or something.

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

Steve

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 4:41 pm     Reply with quote

I wonder why
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSun Apr 09, 06 5:54 pm     Reply with quote

yeah I guess I have been flying mostly slingys for a few years now(4) and have had a couple versions of oneline, and true if its fixed to be not the oneline then its not a problem, geez, I can't wait to meet some of you fellows. Yeah sure you could tie it on the pump leash on the 04 but if it tears out don't wonder why( even though it probably won't ) Rolling Eyes I am giving you first hand opinions here Steve, I know I hear tons of other stuff from people all the time , you know, friend of a friend, friends ,friend, know kevin bacon and he does it like that. Razz If you want I can get the guy who brought the first wipika to north america to tell us. Laughing Steve , a couple of us are in florence at the south jetty whenever the wind blows north if you want to comedown and ride. good days and wind..

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSun Apr 09, 06 5:58 pm     Reply with quote

yeah I guess I have been flying mostly slingys for a few years now(4) and have had a couple versions of oneline, and true if its fixed to be not the oneline then its not a problem, geez, I can't wait to meet some of you fellows. Yeah sure you could tie it on the pump leash on the 04 but if it tears out don't wonder why( even though it probably won't ) Rolling Eyes I am giving you first hand opinions here Steve, I know I hear tons of other stuff from people all the time , you know, friend of a friend, friends ,friend, know kevin bacon and he does it like that. Razz If you want I can get the guy who brought the first wipika to north america to tell us. Laughing Steve , a couple of us are in florence at the south jetty whenever the wind blows north if you want to comedown and ride. good days and wind..

Sorry , to clarify,
PUMP LEASH-= WHERE ONES PUMP LEASH hooks ,lots even say pump leash there on the leading edge. yes, 04-05 look the same.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Apr 09, 06 6:28 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, registered! Thumb's Up

Anywho, here's a little "vid" that I just put together of JP using his Oneline at South Jetty... I'm bored!

Right Click and Save Target As:
Oneline.wmv [~5mb]

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 8:52 pm     Reply with quote

That's great! Just what I want the oneline for.........The wind's gotta blow NNW again soon Adam- we'll be gettin some.

and Registered - Flo's is great - love that rock solid wind down there. But when our Jetty's blowin at least 15 out of the NNW its hard to leave! Mike J and I get down to Ocean Beach and Muriels more often when its lighter wind here, but we'll be down there at some point this season I'm sure. Just need the season to crank up!

Steve

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun Apr 09, 06 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

hahahaha, adam you crack me up man..that shit's cool though, I can see JP just floating away haha~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: