Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sauvie Beach Cleanup
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSat Apr 08, 06 6:02 pm    more pics Reply with quote

more pics

work13.JPG 
   work14.JPG 

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Apr 08, 06 8:18 pm    mad fisherman Reply with quote

so why exactly was the guy so pissed at all that wood was in the water? He must be a boater. . .

Hats off two those who worked out at SI.
How much is left to do? And or what still needs doing?

Sorry, but I was jones'in and chased wind. I got some with about a dozen others out at SS. Secret Spot was good! Anyone get the rainbow on film? Photos anyone? 16m to 12m for C shaped and bows like 9 and 12.

Did anyone get out past SS?

How about Rufus or Roosevelt; sunny? Anyone?

Thanks again to the SI clean-up crew.
Very Happy Very Happy Exclamation Drunk

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Apr 08, 06 8:53 pm     Reply with quote

Good stuff guys! Thumb's Up

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Apr 09, 06 7:00 am     Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody who came out! I was really surprised that so many braved the rain (which luckily stopped around 11:30.)

Here's the crew list that's starting the season with extra karma:

Brett
Chris
Darren
Mark (special thanks for bringing the chainsaw and waders!)
Rich
Nicole
Shawntel
Shay (for helping the other day)

Again special thanks goes to Mark whose chainsaw made quick work of some huge trees that were all right in the middle of the launching area. Also thanks to Brett for getting there early and posting the pics!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Apr 09, 06 7:04 am    Re: mad fisherman Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
so why exactly was the guy so pissed at all that wood was in the water? He must be a boater. . .

They were pissed because the logs were sticking pretty close to shore and floating into their lines. One fisherman even took down all our license plate numbers and drove off like he was going to go find the state police or some crap.

Anyway it was worth a little arguing with fisherman to get the beach cleaned up. It was a total mess, now its more or less like it used to be (except for the miles of beach upwind and downwind of our spot.

We didn't light up any of the burn piles, but hopefully somebody does it for us. One of the ones Shay and I built last week was already burned down.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Apr 09, 06 10:16 am     Reply with quote

thanks Phil and crew...I feel like such a schlub for not making it, but did get a little riding in out East with the others. I'll sponsor a beer/sandwich cooler when we get a warm Sauvies day...maybe that will earn some good karma points?!
Last edited by colby on Sun Apr 09, 06 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 09, 06 10:41 am     Reply with quote

Ditto the schlub thing - anything left to be done? I'm going to my E wind spot to clean things up a bit today to make myself feel better. Thanks for all the hard work - looks good.
Last edited by boardrider on Sun Apr 09, 06 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Apr 09, 06 11:06 am     Reply with quote

Special thanks to Phil and Nicole for bringing the BBQ.
Hot dogs, Cold beer, Good friends, and keeping one eye open for jonny Law! Thats good fun!
mark

www.naishkites.com

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 11:19 am     Reply with quote

Yep, was a good time mixed w/ some good work.

Whuddup w/ the SI gang bangers, I mean fisherman? I guess if you eat the 3 eyed sauvies island fish caught just east of a superfund site you've got a lot to be pissed about. Those guys sucked.

Was good to meet the peeps that were out there, I'm looking fwd to seeing you all on the days we can actually ride.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Apr 09, 06 11:45 am     Reply with quote

The fishermen go away in about a month or so. Seasons overlap in April. Seems most fishermen on SI are not very friendly. Guess they are all the fifth wheels of the bunch and don't just asked to go fishing on their friends boat out at Multnomah Channel, where you have a chance to get salmon. That would explain their cranky dispositions.

Make their day next time and contribute a can of tuna to their cause; I rarely see anyone catching a thing out there except a buzz from their brews. Razz

I believe a common fishing factor and or tactic used from below Bonniville Dam to the mouth of the Columbia--all tide affected--is to fish when the tide is running out/ebbing. This creates more current hence it takes more effort for the fish to go up stream. So the fish hold up till the current floods. Fishermen pack up when the current floods. More of a factor up at exit 22 North of Woodland on the Columbia. Don't remember what its called.

Unfortunately, SI riding is best with a opposing current/ebbing. Just what the fishermen are looking for.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Apr 09, 06 11:57 am     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:
Ditto the schlub thing - anything left to be done? I'm going to my E wind spot to clean things up a bit today to make myself feel better. Thanks for all the hard work - looks good.

Well there are a few burn piles that could use some burning! If you get caught though make sure you don't introduce yourself as a kiteboarder. Very Happy

There's also still a great deal of logs upriver and downriver of the main spot.

The main launch spot though is cleaner than ever, we may have even more room than last year.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostSun Apr 09, 06 1:04 pm    Re: mad fisherman Reply with quote

Did anyone get out past SS?

How about Rufus or Roosevelt; sunny? Anyone?

I was at Rufus, the devil winds were out from the North. 15-30+

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostMon Apr 10, 06 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Fisherman...........I thought that's why you brought the chainsaw. Hey there's nothing wrong with helping mother nature thin the herd a bit. Shocked

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostMon Apr 10, 06 9:40 am     Reply with quote

boardrider wrote:
Ditto I'm going to my E wind spot to clean things up a bit today to make myself feel better.

How's that spot looking? Is their any launch yet or is the water too high at the moment? Looks like going downwind there would be a walk back round the RR dunes - I do a lot of walking so this is important to me!!

paul

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 10, 06 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

Water is very high, and the usual 'launch' area is underwater. I'm going to wait until the water goes down some to clean up. I think you could still launch from there, but just as at RR, it is much more difficult when the water is real high. Landing your kite, especially w/o help would be very difficult.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: