Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kiteboarding in southern oregon??
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
guestdude

PostWed Mar 22, 06 7:06 am    kiteboarding in southern oregon?? Reply with quote

does anybody know of some good places to rip?(southern oregon)

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Mar 22, 06 8:04 am     Reply with quote

Southern Oregon coast? Or are you talking more centrally? I've never ridden down at Floras Lake (coast) before, but i looks like a pretty cool place. I'm sure there are some other people on here that can give you a much better idea.

EDITED: - I can't spell...

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Wed Mar 22, 06 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Mar 22, 06 9:01 am     Reply with quote

Go down and camp out at floras lake. Rip it up on the lake, then drive up to Whiskey Run Beach for an afternoon sesh.

Pistol River Also fires, as does Florence.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Mar 22, 06 9:36 am     Reply with quote

Face rock just south of Bandon is a good spot as well.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 22, 06 11:04 am     Reply with quote

Here's a hlpful link to floras lake. Remember, it really only works in north winds. If it's blowing south, head up to whiskey.

http://www.floraslake.com/bcpark.htm

brikhouse4

Since 22 Jan 2006
13 Posts
HR

PostWed Mar 22, 06 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

hey ryan (or anyone else), do you have any more info about face rock? I've seen the spot many times but it always seemed pretty sketchy (ie wind shadows from the rocks, hidden rocks, etc). Can't seem to find much about it so any more info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Mar 22, 06 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

I have only windsurfed there but dont remember there being any problems with the rock or anything else making shadows. I usually go there when camping at Floras lake. the flat water gets boring. Its often windy and sunny at Face Rock when Floras lake is fogged in (which happens alot). Face rock has a nice big beach, waves are ok not alot of pop, there are a couple of rocks that are just submerged so take a few minutes to locate them prior to heading out (they are south of the lauch) and obvious if you look for them.

I havent been to wiskey run so i cant compare but Face Rock is alot closer to Floras lake and Bandon than wiskey is.

hope this helps.

ryan

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Mar 22, 06 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

I have only windsurfed there but dont remember there being any problems with the rock or anything else making shadows. I usually go there when camping at Floras lake. the flat water gets boring. Its often windy and sunny at Face Rock when Floras lake is fogged in (which happens alot). Face rock has a nice big beach, waves are ok not alot of pop, there are a couple of rocks that are just submerged so take a few minutes to locate them prior to heading out (they are south of the lauch) and obvious if you look for them.

I havent been to wiskey run so i cant compare but Face Rock is alot closer to Floras lake and Bandon than wiskey is.

hope this helps.

ryan

brikhouse4

Since 22 Jan 2006
13 Posts
HR

PostWed Mar 22, 06 5:38 pm     Reply with quote

thanks, I'll be in bandon this summer so maybe I'll share a session with you.
brik

sentone

Since 10 Feb 2006
66 Posts

PostWed Mar 22, 06 8:20 pm     Reply with quote

the south coast rocks........beach brakes, sand bottoms lots of hard wind and best of all ......no one around... lake floras...coos bay,,,, the whiskey run clean water,, good fishing,,,man i gotta go...... Arrow Exclamation

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 22, 06 11:57 pm     Reply with quote

i hear camping is good down there! Smile Smile

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSat Apr 08, 06 7:38 pm    got some pics/vids from today(sat,8th) Reply with quote

here ya go:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=639623160&n=2(love the comentary)

he's got the golf clubs,..
 he's got the golf clubs,..  IMG_1344.JPG 
9m foil,..
 9m foil,..  IMG_1323.JPG 

Last edited by Sol-flyer on Sat Apr 08, 06 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Apr 08, 06 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

where were you all snow kiting today(sat) , we had a rain fest snow/slushy gustin' ole time kiting at St.Helens today as well.Hard rain with mixed rain and rain,rain up to about 4000' of the Abraham plains area. Crying or Very sad but some riding was had by all 4 on duty. It was supposed to be ozone mt blast or some bs. But only slingshots and some old naishs represented. Twisted Evil
Last edited by registered on Sun Apr 09, 06 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostSat Apr 08, 06 9:05 pm     Reply with quote

this is @ lake of the woods, el.4150
the closest mountain is brown mt.

here's another clip: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=639985826&n=2
and another one:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=640149398&n=2

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 08, 06 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the info
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSun Apr 09, 06 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

whiskey rocks! drive out on the beach all year and its a two mile stretch. If your new the lake will be a great spot with nice showers and views of the ocean over the lake for sunset. south winds actually can be done at the lake unlike popular opinion. The lake is cold as shit though early when south wind prevail. the shore break on the beach ,next to floras will rip you if thats what you want. Twisted Evil

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Apr 09, 06 3:18 pm     Reply with quote

How cold is Floras this time of year? You say cold, but like Columbia cold in the mid to low 40's? I like the coast water temps waaaaay more, but flat water is nice sometimes!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: