Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What Size Chicken Loop?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed Mar 08, 06 6:07 pm    What Size Chicken Loop? Reply with quote

I'm new to this. I am setting up a oneline system and I have to replace the chicken loop. Slingshot has three sizes and a shackle. Could someone explain the different sizes so I can decide with size I need?

Thanks,
Scribble

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 08, 06 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

Unless you're planning to do unhooked tricks just go for the small one.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 08, 06 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

I ride with a fairly big chicken loop but not a huge one, just big enough so thats its easy to unhook from and hook back into.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostWed Mar 08, 06 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

If you like the bar to be close to you at full power(bent elbows) get the little one. The medium and large ones are just further away when you power all the way up. Even the small one unhooks just fine.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Mar 08, 06 10:38 pm     Reply with quote

For some reason my '05 Fuel 7 came with a small one, and I really didn't like it, so I changed it out for a medium (just like my 11's bar). To me, it made hooking back in harder, only because the "chicken bone" has a little more pressure against the loop due to the smaller diameter. Medium still gets my vote! Wink
Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Thu Mar 09, 06 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 08, 06 10:49 pm     Reply with quote

I use the medium diameter one with the bone cut off... but that's just because I have a unhook leash setup. I think Scribble is a beginner and will want to stay hooked in all the time, probably best to go with the smaller loop that maximizes range on the bar and reduces chance of accidentally coming unhooked.

That was my reasoing anyway...

Good luck Scribs! Thumb's Up

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 09, 06 3:18 am     Reply with quote

yeah i hate the dog bone now, always gets in the way. cant wait for the 06' one, super custom.. haha

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Mar 09, 06 9:36 am     Reply with quote

Yea, that's actually a good point, Phil.

And I never actually thought about it until just now, but what I would personally just buy an '06 Slingy Lock-N-Load chicken loop. It'll run you twice as much (~$40 as apose to ~$20), but it's a lot nicer (fully customizable in size, etc.), and cleaner piece (no cheap swivel housing like the Oneline upgrade & '05 Machine chicken loop). As soon as I get around to upgrading one of my bars with Oneline, it'll for sure have the new chicken loop, but again, that's just me.

This is what it looks like, and here's a direct link to the 2006 Fuel manual vid if you want to see how it works (it's at the very end)... 2006 Fuel Manual

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostThu Mar 09, 06 11:53 am     Reply with quote

Since you mentioned that Kataku I am upgrading a 2003 bar I bought from Trevor to Oneline. The rope is too big to run the online through the bar with it, and the chicken loop is sewn to the rope. So when I buy the Oneline do I need to buy a chickenloop rope and a chicken loop only or do i need to buy the chickenloop full assembly? Also where are you buying the new lock and load? I haven't found anywhere remotely close selling them.

Also I am interested in hearing about it when you rig up your wave grenade. Seems like for 11 bucks I should do that as well.

thanks

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Mar 09, 06 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Okay, that's cool, thanks for that info. Here's what I would do (if you wanna take this route), buy the Oneline upgrade, but don't install it until you get the Lock-N-Load (again, if you want this). The Oneline chicken loop rope is thinner than the older style, dual core Spectra. This is good in that it allows more space (in the hole of the bar) for your Oneline leader to be run through. You also have to remember that when there's tension on the chicken loop rope, it gets a lot thinner. On to what you get and the install... The Oneline upgrade comes with everything you'll need to convert (that is, then new chicken loop rope, and all), so don't even worry about buying anything else. You will however need to buy a new Clip & Ride as you mentioned, if you choose not to go with the Lock-N-Load.

I haven't played with an '03 bar in forever so I don't remember exactly what the leaders are like, but my guess is that you'll have to play with either your centers line's length, or the outers. All I'm really trying to get at is that, since your NEW center "lines" may be longer/shorter, you'll probably have to compensate with the outers. We added the '05-06 "Oh shit" leaders on my roomie's (importracer9 99) old '04 bar when we converted it to Oneline as its original '04 leaders were a bit shorter.

Sorry if I made this more confusing with shitty wording, but it is pretty simple.

Also, I searched around forever for the Lock-N-Load, and if I don't go through ASI (where I normally get my stuff), then I'm going to order online from... Lock-N-Load from oceanextremesports.com

P to the S - I haven't used a Wave Grenade yet, but for the price, I'd definately have one on my setup too. For surely worth its while! All you really need to do to install is, punch a hole through the end of your Oneline leader (where you normally tie the trim loop on), and stitch the ends so it doesn't run either way on ya.

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Thu Mar 09, 06 1:07 pm; edited 6 times in total

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 09, 06 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

I dont know much about these things
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 09, 06 1:30 pm     Reply with quote

some pics

1.jpg 
   2.jpg 
   3.jpg 
   4.jpg 
   5.jpg 
   6.jpg 
   7.jpg 
   8.jpg 
   9.jpg 

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Mar 09, 06 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

JP, why are your lines sooo tangled? j/k, for all of you that wonder the same thing. He was a little lazy after the last time he rode at South Jetty, ultra overpowered on his 9m in ~35kts. After launching off a breaking wave, landing, and Onelinein' his kite (waves and gusty conditions were tossing it end over end, while the rip pulled it out to sea), this is what he was left with! Thumb's Up

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Mar 10, 06 8:56 am     Reply with quote

One other thing you'll probably want to look into is the cleat, which I totally forgot about. I'm pretty sure you reuse the original cleat (with the upgrade), and that a new one is NOT supplied in the Oneline setup. Now if your '03 cleat is the same as the '04-06 ones, then you're cool and it's no big deal. If not, then you'll need to buy a newer style one. Not a huge issue by any means, just might be one more thing you have to get.

I found this on JP's Oregon State FTP... Tak, with like an '03 Slingy bar!

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Mar 10, 06 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

I dont really understand what slingshot is trying to do... make things as complicated as possible? its just a chicken loop, get one that unhooks when you want it to, and stays hooked in when you want it to. You dont need all those gimmicks..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Mar 10, 06 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

I assume you're talking about the Lock-N-Load..? It's not so much about what it does, rather how clean it is (harder to be a "gimmick" then). In my opinion they have the BEST R&D for CLEANLY done shit! Hence, the new CL looks a lot better than last years swivel shackel housing with OE Clip & Ride.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Mar 10, 06 12:54 pm     Reply with quote

good point
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: