Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Water level at Rooster?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Mar 03, 06 12:07 pm    Water level at Rooster? Reply with quote

The wind is looking pretty reasonable out there at the momement. Wonder how launchable it is. Anybody check it lately?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Mar 03, 06 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

yeah, i would like to ride there also....what about tomm.? If the water is way high still, can't we just launch further east by those sand dunes..?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Mar 03, 06 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

great minds think alike, was just heading here to ask the same question!

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 03, 06 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

I was there day before yesterday, stopped on my way back fr. hood. Water level was pretty high, you could launch right from the base of the stairway down. There were a couple of windsurfers out there, the wind was pretty nuke.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSat Mar 04, 06 5:10 pm    rooster Reply with quote

I went out to rooster rock today and had a blast. we hiked down to the sand dunes and there was plenty of room for 6 or 7 of us. It's a muddy hike, but dries out right before the sand.

I just wanted to thank all the guys out there for letting me drag around in the water. I know it is a pain to dodge the noobie, Hopefully I was out of the way, and I managed to get a few hours in on my kite (and even my first ride on a board).

I had a blast. The water is chilly, but not terrible. Of course, I had a drysuit on, but my hands were the only thing that really got cold.

anyway, thanks again guys (I remember a few names: Tom, Yohan and Chris).

I'll see you guys out again! I'm stoked.
-brett

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSat Mar 04, 06 5:32 pm    Rooster Reply with quote

Brett-
How did you like the Waroo? Have you flown other kites to have a comparison? I was flying the 10m turbo diesel, after 3 sessions, I would have to say that I think the 9M Crossbow is by far a better kite.
Henry

It was nice to see so many people get some wind today. I think I even saw the Wind Slither off in the distance rippin it up. Very Happy

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSat Mar 04, 06 6:04 pm    Re: Rooster Reply with quote

hbrico wrote:
Brett-
How did you like the Waroo? Have you flown other kites to have a comparison? I was flying the 10m turbo diesel, after 3 sessions, I would have to say that I think the 9M Crossbow is by far a better kite.
Henry

Very Happy

loved it, and no. the only other LEI's i've flown were lessons up to a 4m. Today was day 1 for me with a waroo and a big LEI. It was responsive, and I had it WAY powered down with the depower strap so I could ease into it.

What I liked best was if I ever even got nervous, i just let the handle out a bit and the kite shut down. Also crashed it twice, and a very easy relaunch both times.

I'd like to try out other kites so I would have something to compare it too, but this kite "feels" safe to me, so I'm looking forward to cutting my teeth with it.

good fun today!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Mar 04, 06 7:08 pm    Re: Rooster Reply with quote

hbrico wrote:
I think I even saw the Wind Slither off in the distance rippin it up. Very Happy

Yeah Hbrico, couldn't make the hike up to the dunes. Looked nice up there. There's a little bit of snaggy beach at the bottom of the stairs. The wind was surprisingly steady inside the pilon...no current in the butter either. A couple other guys were rushing it as I packed up...nice day!

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSat Mar 04, 06 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

Good to see you all got out!! The mountain was nice, but nothing like the river.

BrDRdR

Since 20 Aug 2005
26 Posts

PostSat Mar 04, 06 9:57 pm     Reply with quote

Great day for early March! Nice ridin with you guys. Thx to Brett for use of the k - leash.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Mar 04, 06 11:11 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet you all got out... looks like easterlies are on again tomorrow, I'll be out there it looks good again.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 05, 06 6:15 am    kite sizes Reply with quote

What size kites were people on? The pressure gradient looks crazy strong this morning at 17 hundredths, yeasterday looked like 3 hun, so I blew it off and stayed in the hood. Even though nice day, looks like I blew the call.

Now wondering if today will be to crazy?

Also, in the day we used to do down winders from Dalton Point, whats the thought on that?

Thanks,

BK

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSun Mar 05, 06 11:13 am     Reply with quote

I was on my 20 but coulda/shoulda been on my 16. Out in the channel it was stronger.

Today is showing promise...gradient is settling down after last nights big blow.

WARNING: The local squirrels at Rooster got into our picknik bag and chewed up everything while I was out on the water...BEWARE! Shocked

broadbandito

Since 26 Apr 2005
342 Posts
CSO headwaters
WheatHead

PostSun Mar 05, 06 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

Launched from the volleyball pit today. It was plenty strong and the lauch was nice n easy after a jungle jaunt through the poo swamp.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Mar 06, 06 10:16 am    i was on my 18m Reply with quote

YEah, down at the bottom of the stairs was alright....we rode for a solid two hours over-powered and then it dropped off and the 18m was perfect....should have hiked up to the dunes, but was being kinda lazy....all in all great first day out this spring..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: