Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Yet another question about Floras...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Feb 20, 06 10:19 pm    Yet another question about Floras... Reply with quote

Anywho, does anyone know what the conditions should be like down there late next month? JP and I figured we'd just stay in Oregon over spring break since it's CHEAPER, but it'd also be nice to have a good place to ride (still too cold for me to ride in the Columbia). Think we'll have a decently solid north wind by late March? We were looking over the wind archive earlier today and last year at the same time, the wind still had a lot of south in it... so I dunno. Also, would anyone know what the water temp is like down there? I assume it too remains pretty constant, but I'd prefer anything over say ~55 degrees if at all possible! Thanks and any info would be GREAT!

-Adam

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 21, 06 12:21 am     Reply with quote

Hey Adam!

I was just down at Floras when we were having all the sunshine a week and a half ago. I couldn't tell you the water temp for sure, but i was comfortable in a drysuit. We had a great north wind most of the day but it got real holey after about 2:30... Not sure how much help this is, but it's all I've got! Smile Have fun!

Nak

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostTue Feb 21, 06 12:23 am     Reply with quote

Good call man, i did the exact same thing last spring break with a few friends and it was killer. Pretty much had to watch ikitesurf for a good forecast though, and the good wind only held for a few days. Water temp was way comfortable in a 4/3 and the campground was empty. The only thing that pissed me off was the fog. It'd be windy in the AM/early PM, but once the fog rolled in in the afternoon it would totally shut down. We'd drive out to the main highway on beer & food runs after the AM sesh and whatya know, blue skies only a mile or two inland. Shittayyy...

Whens yer spring break Adam??? I'm thinkin it's probably the week or two after mine...typical private school bullshit. I got the 11th-19th. Its a drive, but how's Sherman Island in late March?? Twisted Evil

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Feb 21, 06 8:46 am     Reply with quote

Good tips... I'd say just be ready for anything. Sometimes it gets nice and toasty there, but for the most part its still the coast and that means usually 55-65 degrees. March is pretty early too.

4/3 wetsuit will probably be the call...

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Feb 21, 06 9:18 am     Reply with quote

Last yr on the north coast we had that two weeks of blue sky, sunny warm weather from like 3-1 to 3-15. It might of as well of been a heat wave in August. . .

There were winds to be had. . . Mainly 16m and 20m. Hood, booties and some gloves with that 4/3 and your good for an hr or so.

The water temps at the Columbia Buoy (20 miles west of the mouth reported 42 degree water temps this morning in the Oregonian). Water is probably somewhat warmer when the senor isn't in the drainage current of all the cold fresh water discharging into the ocean.

I bet Sherman Island isn't much warmer than the Columbia right now, but send out a cry for KiteKarl for the local Sherman Island weather report.

I did notice some nice North to NW winds down in the Bandon/Flores lake area a couple of days ago, and SW winds are fun to ride too. Cool

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Feb 21, 06 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

the lake will be cold still. the north wind is chilly stuff too. The coast would be the call if you are up to the challenge. with the coast early season the south winds are more freq and warmer. 4-3 or drysuit though. you will however have the campground to yourself.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Feb 21, 06 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks for all the info guys, it's definately is a help! I think you're right about spring break, Nate. Not sure exactly when ours is, but I'm pretty sure it's from around the 25th of March, so we're probably missing yours by a week. Shitty! Anyone else have any fun trips planned around this time? Thanks again! Thumb's Up

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 21, 06 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that Floras doesn't work for shit in South winds. If it turns from the south, head up the coast to whiskey run. Same deal for the fog. Sometimes whiskey is clear when floras is socked in.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 21, 06 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

This was from last weekend at Florence. The swell was humongous!

bustin it (2).jpg 

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Feb 21, 06 4:23 pm     Reply with quote

NateDogg wrote:
Good call man, i did the exact same thing last spring break with a few friends and it was killer. Pretty much had to watch ikitesurf for a good forecast though, and the good wind only held for a few days. Water temp was way comfortable in a 4/3 and the campground was empty. The only thing that pissed me off was the fog. It'd be windy in the AM/early PM, but once the fog rolled in in the afternoon it would totally shut down. We'd drive out to the main highway on beer & food runs after the AM sesh and whatya know, blue skies only a mile or two inland. Shittayyy...

Whens yer spring break Adam??? I'm thinkin it's probably the week or two after mine...typical private school bullshit. I got the 11th-19th. Its a drive, but how's Sherman Island in late March?? Twisted Evil

Sherman will likely be going at least a few days by the end of March. Whenever it's 80+ in the valley then it fogs up in the bay and the thermals kick in. I would check the forecast for Stockton and the ikitesurf forecasts. If it's calling for 80+ in Stockton then the thermals will kick in. There's also a couple of really nice coastal spots north of the bay so if you wanna come down I can give ya the scoop. I've even got a couple of secret spots scoped out on the reservoirs in the foothills.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostWed Feb 22, 06 5:34 pm     Reply with quote

Wuddup Dan. Seems like you are finding some free time at the office. Looks like some mtns. in the background @ the jetty!

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 23, 06 9:48 am     Reply with quote

Hey Shay, I'm sneaking out as much as possible. We need to hook up and ride! I heard you've been out with Peterson up on hood.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: