Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

surf-style or twintip for beginner/light wind board?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
hobbsla

Since 28 Jan 2006
389 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Feb 17, 06 5:01 pm    surf-style or twintip for beginner/light wind board? Reply with quote

Does anyone out there have any experience with, or opinions on, using a surfstyle board has a beginners 1st board? I'm looking at a summer of light wind lakes and a move to oahu in the fall. I'm sure I will want a wave riding board there. Can I kill 2 birds with 1 stone? Rolling Eyes

thanks

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSat Feb 18, 06 8:09 am     Reply with quote

Might be kind of old school, but the Hammersurf Ono is a nice fit there. You can find them on eBay usually. I've been on one several times and liked it so I bought a HS Debaser which I keep around. Great ocean boards both and very effective edging, while taming Gorge chop. You can usually get them pretty cheap too.

Stepping up from there in price, you have boards like the SS '06 SX series (concave bottom and surfy outline/rocker twin tips), any Jimmy Lewis board (Dominatrix, etc.)... both real good in the waves and twin tips.

Hope that helps. Good luck. Cool

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostMon Feb 20, 06 11:24 am     Reply with quote

It's certainly nice to have that extra float using a surf style board for a beginner. You can get away with being a little underpowered with the kite (good for those gusty lakes) and get up planing faster. Problem is you have to learn to jibe if you're using a true "surf style board." If you plan on being a wave rider then you might as well learn on the big board because it'll be easier to transition to a twin tip in the future.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Feb 20, 06 12:13 pm     Reply with quote

I'd say for the absolute most practical/cheap approach, make your own Glide board out of plywood.

In fact you don't even need to worry about the shape, just copy the dimensions from Slingshot's website and head off the home depot. Cut it out, round the edges, slap on some straps/pads and your set. Total cost ~$50 bucks.

Then you can:

1) Not use a leash (which you shouldn't anyway) because who cares if you lose it.
2) You will have the best board for getting upwind and riding in lightwind.
3) You haven't spent a lot of money on something you might quickly outgrow (even though you will probably always want to keep it around for lightwind days.)
4) If you have to move you can just take the straps off and leave the board behind, build a new one when you get there.

Float is good, but planning surface area and a rectangular outline are better for getting you upwind. When you are learning or in lightwind that's going to be your main challenge. Also, I've ridden the actual Glide and Plywood copies side by side, and I'll tell you there is little difference.

When you get better than yeah I'd say for for the surfy style board, they are tons of fun. But for lightwinds and beginners nothing beats the Glide. Thumb's Up

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 21, 06 8:11 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
I'd say for the absolute most practical/cheap approach, make your own Glide board out of plywood.

this ROCKS!
thank you for this post!

I'm making my own kiteboard, but would like to get a feel for the whole sport in general before I commit all that work. being able to just whip one out is really helpful! I checked, and the Glide has 0 Rocker. unreal.

I just got the call, and my Waroo 12 is on its way! probably won't make it here by this weekend, but if the weather permits, I'll go try it out the next weekend.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Feb 21, 06 8:53 am     Reply with quote

Here's a shot of the "Doolittle Custom" my girlfriend made (yes she's handy with tools!):

She got her first real long rides on that board... awesome learner setup, and awesome lightwind board.

Since this shot was taken she upgraded it with t-nuts for the straps, so now there is no risk of them pulling out even though its only 1/2" ply.

The Glide is a couple pounds lighter, and has a stiffer flex. For the most part I'd say you don't really notice any difference unless you start jumping. For jumping the snappier flex and lighter weight of the Glide make it better, but is it $700 better? hmmm...

Very Happy

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Feb 21, 06 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

I remember seeing that a long time ago Phil, but never really noticed... Is that plywood? Looks like Maple, or at least a maple-looking plywood veneer. CLEAN!

FlyinElvis... If you haven't got your pads/straps already, I'd definately look into the '05-06 Slingy ones. They're by far the easiest (to mount) and most comfortable in my opinion!

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 21, 06 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
'05-06 Slingy ones.

is this slingshot? Question

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Feb 21, 06 5:37 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
I remember seeing that a long time ago Phil, but never really noticed... Is that plywood? Looks like Maple, or at least a maple-looking plywood veneer. CLEAN!

baltic birch ply. It actually wasn't the best finish in the world, but it still looks sweet.

My buddy TomB made one that looked like a piece of furniture it was so clean.

FlyingElvis - yeah he means slingshot, and he's right they are real comfy and you can find a lot of older ones lingering about.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue Feb 21, 06 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

Never under estimate Plywood....

120x44

Step deck made from 6mm marine ply machined down to 4mm along
the rails and on the tips. 3mm ABS Rails & Vacuum bagged epoxy skins.
80x28 mini Thin Fins, 7.5 lbs complete.

134x46 is cut and ready to laminate.

Outline files available on request and I'll even machine a piece of
ply for the do-it-yourselfers - PM or email me.

-Hein

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Feb 21, 06 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

Looks sweet, is my new Carbon board old technology now? Wink

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Feb 22, 06 1:06 am     Reply with quote

I seeeee
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Tue Mar 23, 21 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostWed Feb 22, 06 8:41 am     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis, here's a site I got a lot of information from before I built my board.

http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/zp/zeroprestige.html

Like Phil said make sure you use tee nuts cause wood screws pulled out of the board on like the third ride. I ordered the tee nuts online but I am sure you could find them locally if you wanted to.

http://www.mcmaster.com/[/url]

Total cost of my board w/ foot straps was like $50 and it rides awesome. Enjoy Very Happy

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Feb 22, 06 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

For hardware go to Parkrose Hardware (~112th and Sandy). They're a little pricey, but they have everthing you'll need in stainless. The Slingy stuff is all 1/4-20 (bolts/nuts for straps and also for their fins).

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 22, 06 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

Bettyboarder wrote:
http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/zp/zeroprestige.html

these guys are hilarious.

also, they had a neat suggestion. use a new penny as a washer on your screws/bolts. It's not copper anymore and works as an anode that collects all the corrosion.

anyway. I'm in the middle of a couple of boards for other sports right now, but am looking forward to a simple project for a change!
thanks for the tips.

ps...being new to this sport, I don't really know any kiters. I have a 12m Waroo (Best bow) on the way. I've taken lessons, but still think it would be great to have a seasoned sailor around when I take it out with my new fancy plywood board) Wink. For the price of being there, I can offer some time on the bow kite in trade.

anyway... i'll post this somewhere else once the kite gets here.
thanks again for all the tips! I'll post pics once it's built.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 19, 06 11:43 am    beginner board Reply with quote

I finally got around to this, and it seemed like a good time to bring the topic back to the beginning, with a couple of other new guys appearing.

total cost of materials (wood, bolts, teenuts, door handle) = $20.37
I found adjustable slingy (<-- look at me using the slang) bindings for $39.

total cost of the board = $59.37 + a little epoxy to coat the wood to keep it from warping, and some model airplane paint to spruce it up at least a little Smile... i have that stuff lying around. Waiting on the bindings to get here. Once it's [finally] complete, i'll post a pic.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Apr 19, 06 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

Good stuff man! I wanna see it for sure! Did you end up making one around the size of a Glide, or smaller? Once my freakin' Brunotti board comes in I'll have an extra set of straps lying around so I want to make a super small plywood board. Ya know, like those 90cm boards that Lou and Hamish ride!!! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: