Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

surf-style or twintip for beginner/light wind board?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostWed Apr 19, 06 12:20 pm    big fat long cheap p.o.s. Reply with quote

just get something that floats and doesn't have to be gybed,an old 150+ for a light weight or something longer for a big fat guy ,go with a smaller kite that won't kick your ass too much and look for a lot clear space downwind .If you like the idea of wave riding something longer with a lot of rocker is easiest so as to not stuff the front end(pearl)

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Apr 20, 06 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Awesome B, you will find that having that board will make your early learning so much faster. Also you will have a killer lightwind board...

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostThu Apr 20, 06 10:54 am    To whom it may concern Reply with quote

What thickness of wood do you suggest for a DIY Glide?
Also has anyone found Stainless Tee Nutz? And any secrets to keep the tee nuts from spinning in the insert?

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Apr 20, 06 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

Again, I get all my stainless inserts, screws, etc. from Parkrose Hardware (~112th Sandy).

Are these the "Tee Nutz" you're talking about? Or at least similar? (they carry ones with holes instead of teeth which can be screwed or riveted down) Mine couldn't spin because they were install from the bottom incapsulated in epoxy.

And here's my what I did to my OLD '03 SX 136 when I was bored a few months back...

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Thu Apr 20, 06 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 20, 06 1:07 pm    sweet Reply with quote

sweet board... makes mine look pretty small time! i've got some practicing to do.. Embarassed

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Apr 20, 06 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Holy sheezballs dude, looks sweet!

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 20, 06 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

brunotti horizon beaaaatch

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Apr 25, 06 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

While I'm STILL waiting on my Pro-X I need something to keep me occupied when homework isn't enough. And since Nick wants to make a learning/lightwind board, I figure I might as well build a "Glide" for myself too. My main question is, do you think we can get away with 3/8" Marine-Grade Ply, or is that too thin? Obviously I'd like to keep it as thin as possible, but if it's going to break, then I'd rather skip that step! Having not worked with it before, I'm not sure as to how much overall flex it'll have either, but hopefully paint will stick. Maybe a little flex agent will do the trick? Wink

I'm pretty sure I read a thread awhile back which was discussing plywood thickness, but since the search feature isn't working right now, I can't find it...

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Apr 25, 06 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

Wow - thats sharp -Xzibit would be proud.

Quick question - does anyone make removable foot straps that bolt on or pop off. When I travel I have to unscrew my foot staps to get two boards into the travel bag - after 4 or 5 unscrewing and rescrewings the holes are bored out. If not - whats the best way to fix - sized up the screws once altready. The board is an old 157 slingshot surf.

Thanks.

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Apr 25, 06 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

bump...need info on mr. atoms question.. that's all~

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 26, 06 6:01 pm    my version Reply with quote

here's my funkified version of the doolittle custom. $59 total.

Phil...did you guys put fins on it? I'm thinking I don't even need them.

DSC02094.JPG 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Apr 26, 06 6:20 pm     Reply with quote

B -
No fins on the Doolittle custom. For this type of board you really don't need em.

Btw, my girlfriend is actually the one who built the board that's why its called the "Doolittle" custom (her last name.) Very Happy

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Apr 26, 06 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

Good stuff FlyinElvis! What thickness ply did you use? And BUMP for my last question too! Wink

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 26, 06 6:45 pm     Reply with quote

for sure
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 26, 06 6:49 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Good stuff FlyinElvis! What thickness ply did you use? And BUMP for my last question too! Wink

i used 1/2 inch. I coated it with cheap polyester resin (the stuff you see in auto parts stores, home depot, etc). marine grade is expensive, and I'll bet it's not totally waterproof, this resin is like 8 bucks.... it stinks, so wear protection, but basically coats the wood in plastic. I don't know a lot about the mystical forces of kiteboarding on the board, but I would think if you coated the 3/8" good with resin, it would be stiff enough to work just fine.

p...i figured it out, but I couldn't remember if she was bettyboarder or not...so I just targeted you! she's famous now... she has a line of boards that people are copying.... Smile

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Apr 26, 06 11:46 pm     Reply with quote

I'm super-anal/meticulous/weird when it comes to anything like this, so for mine, I'm definately going to want fins. But just out of curiousity, does anyone have any pics of the 2006 SS G10 Glide fins? I searched around online, but couldn't find anything. I'm hoping that they truely have ZERO rocker cut into them and are sold separately as replacements too!

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 26, 06 11:54 pm     Reply with quote

yeah
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: