Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foot straps or boots?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 15, 06 9:50 am    Foot straps or boots? Reply with quote

Alright, I need some advice. I have been wakeboarding and snowboarding for many years, and have gotten very used to the boot style binding setup. So, when I took up kiteboarding last year, I am having difficulties in keeping a proper board edge because I am so use to different bindings. So, my question is, what is the down side to using one binding style over the other? Also, is it better/easier to learn with just foot straps? Confused

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Feb 15, 06 10:06 am     Reply with quote

I've always used straps so I sorta have a bias towards them. To me, I like the board to be as light as possible (straps lighter than bindings), along with the cleaner, more low-profile look. Straps may take awhile in getting used to (when you think you need your foot locked in to the board like no other), but you'll learn that's not the case at all. This is for the same reason you can ride a board (surf, skim, etc.) with NO straps/bindings. Then again, if you're more comfortable with bindings, then why change what you like? Just my $0.02, that's probably not even worth your time in reading! Wink

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Feb 15, 06 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

Alright so depending on how you are rideing i can offer you just a couple pieces of advice...

1st. If you are rideing the board confidantly, meaning rideing up-wind, and downwind by choice, basically doing everything getting close to jumping, then i would say switch to bindings.

2nd. The reason I ride bindings is because I like how they feel doing powered tricks. I dont jump high, and have no reason for my board to come off my feet, so I like bindings. If I wasnt into the wakestyle side of kiteing then I would not ride bindings because they do make the board a lot heavier.

3rd. Rideing bindings will require a bigger wider board. Bindings are just too big and heavy to ride on a normal kiteboard. Make sure that if you are going to ride bindings that you have a board wide enough to handle them. An average sized rider between 150-200 lbs should need at least a 128 x 38 you could go smaller with length, but most boards with less length are not wide enough tho there are some.

If all you are out there to do is just have a good time, and not ride super wakestyle, footstraps are much easier to deal with at any location. Bindings can be a big hassle to get in and out of, but for me the hassle is worth it.

Try bindings and see what you think, but my overall opinion would be stick with footstraps unless you are going to go wakestyle!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jbruxer

Since 24 Jul 2005
398 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Obsessed

PostWed Feb 15, 06 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advice. I think for now, I would be better off sticking with the straps (until I can ride with confidence). But once that happens, I will convert to bindings for sure! Wake style rules. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: