Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Cozumel Kiteboarding
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Feb 13, 06 5:14 am    Last day... Reply with quote

Well since I last posted we took a couple days off. One because of exhaustion and the need to see some other stuff, the other because of light winds. But yesterday we went kiting again with Adrian in some super strong conditions. I rode my 7m all day, Jodi and Jim a 6m, and Tom held down the 8. We all called it "Gorge training" for the coming season. I didn't bring the camera but Tom was taking video so we'll see it when he gets back and puts it all together.

We might be able to squeeze in one more session before our departure this afternoon, the sun came up and the wind seems to be building. If we ride today it will mean 8 out of 10 days had wind and were rideable (though we took one extra day off for rest when it was windy.)

Cozumel has been a wonderful experience, we couldn't have asked for more wind, or better food and entertainment. The food and nightlife have been a real highlight, and I'd say so far this has been the best place to appeal both to kiters and non-kiters alike. If you are in a relationship with someone who doesn't kite, I'd consider coming here for sure.

Cons were: well the hurricane damage is still everywhere, though the main town is almost completely healed. The mangroves which are normally green are brown from salt posioning. The sponges and soft coral near the water surface have been mostly wiped out, making snorkeling a bit less interesting. The good news is its all happened before and will happen again, each time every plant, animal, structure, and people make a full recovery.

It was also a bit more expensive than I'd expected, maybe just because we got so caught up in all the things to do. You could certainly come here and spend no more than a hundred dollars a week and still eat well thanks to all the inexpensive restraunts (that still have great food.) We spent more but it was worth it for our first time here, next time we could be more frugal.

My biggest recommendation for any kiter coming here is definitely hook-up with Adrian from Cozumel Kiteboarding: http://www.cozumelkiteboarding.com/

Adrian is a great kiter and also a wonderful host. Beyond just taking us out to the best conditions on the island (accessible only by boat) he also offered us up a bunch of local information and stories that made us feel like a part of the community. He's just a good person and we all felt great that we met him. His assistant David was a good kid and a great host too, always bringing us sandwiches and cervezas which hit the spot after a long session.

If you come out I'd suggest taking at least one day and going with Adrian out to the lagoons. Try to pick a day thats N-NE, the water will be the flattest you've ridden and you will have a perfect beach for taking photos. Probably after you've been treated to Adrian's hospitality and the great conditions, I am sure you'll want to do it again.

Country Club beach is a bit choppy, especially in high tide. In low tide small rollers set up and it is less choppy. The beach is not very wide either, (a little less than Sauvies) and there is still plenty of debris from the hurricane on the beach. The nice thing about Country Club though is its proxmity to our place, if you stay at Casa Viento you can walk to the beach every day. The water can also be very beautiful just out from shore.

Wind conditions were usually a on-off pattern, but not necessarily the punchy gusty conditions you might be used to from the Gorge. I'd say the wind was usually in a range, and it was either blowing at the top of the range or the bottom. So if it was blowing 15-25, half the time it'd be 15 and half the time it'd be blowing 25, but rarely inbetween. Usually this meant either being slightly underpowered or slightly overpowered in the lulls and the gusts respectively, it was never too gusty to ride and have fun though.

For Country Club to be sideshore, wind should be coming from the NE, or ENE. N will be side-on, and NW will be directly onshore. On East winds you can ride the other side of the island, which actually has the most beautiful beaches in my opinion, and maybe a dozen different beaches you could launch from. Just drive up and down the coast till you spot one you like. For this time of year though we found the east winds to be much lighter than the "El-Norte" north wind.

The lagoons you can ride in any northerly direction, the best IMO is NE wind which sets up the most flat water and best photo-op position.

Well that's it for now, hope you guys find this information useful. I am going to go check on the wind again, still time for one more session!

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Feb 13, 06 9:17 pm     Reply with quote

Hey sweet, something I'll be jealous over for a while.. No vacations for me 'til we ship the darn thing.

How touristy is the place? What does the crowd look like that you see there?

It's impossible to blend in with the locals in a week of course, but at least I'm usually planning on not seeing too many people who're there just for the swim-up bar on my vacations.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Feb 14, 06 7:28 am    Back in stumptown... Reply with quote

Back in town now, brrrr. Very Happy

Here's the last batch of photos, including one of Tom riding just hours before we had to jump on the plane. Also some from our trip to the Mayan ruins (Tulum) on the mainland side. Really amazing people those Mayans... We also went to Xcaret water park on the mainland. It costs as much as Disneyland to get in, but its a lot of fun and the nighttime show is a blast.

azazello wrote:
How touristy is the place? What does the crowd look like that you see there?

Yeah when the Cruise ships show up it gets a little gringo heavy. But not that bad. The locals all have the cruise ship schedules and avoid going out when they are in town. The nice thing about the Cruise ship people though is they usually all clear out by 5pm, making dinner not that crowded on the island.

Let me know if anyone has any more questions... here's the last of the photos!

Adios amigos!
 Adios amigos!  Lagoon_Crew_small.jpg 
Pack it up...
 Pack it up...  P2132950_small.jpg 
Maybe a Tulum kitebeach? Imagine kiting in front of the ruins...
 Maybe a Tulum kitebeach? Imagine kiting in front of the ruins...  P2102860_small.jpg 
Mayan beachfront property (Tulum)
 Mayan beachfront property (Tulum)  P2102878_small.jpg 
Tom out on the last day, one last tack before we pack!
 Tom out on the last day, one last tack before we pack!  P2132938_small.jpg 
The clouds clear and I get one last "Jello Shot"
 The clouds clear and I get one last "Jello Shot"  P2132947_small.jpg 

bdc8622

Since 31 May 2005
74 Posts
PDX

PostThu Feb 16, 06 3:26 pm    Yucatan Kiting Reply with quote

If you'd been inspired by Phillip's great pictures and get excited about heading down to Yucatan Mexico here is a link of a place to stay. 4 of us from Portland are headed down for the 2nd year in a row on 2/18. Staying in Playa which is across from Cozumel in a 4 bedroom house on the beach. Attached is a link to the house we rented.

Awesome area, that is very cheap. Topless beaches and European women are not so bad either. If anyone needs info let me know, I have tons of great websites for the area.

Brian

http://www.rentfromownerdirect.com/villas_oceanview1.html

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Feb 16, 06 5:15 pm    sweet place! Reply with quote

Dang Brian that place looks super spiff... imagine kiting right from your porch.

Have a great time, and make sure to post shots when you get back! Lets just keep this thread going you know? If you are feeling adventurous maybe try to check out that "kitebeach" by Tulum, it'd be sweet to see a photo of kiters out in front of the ruins.

It seems like Cozumel/Playa del Carmen are becoming hugely popular for the NW crowd...

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 17, 06 7:24 am    check this out Reply with quote

hey pkh, you should consider doing this with your recent trip to cozumel:

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/s.nl/it.I/id.32/.f?nav=Best%20Info/Travel%20Features

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Feb 17, 06 7:25 am    Re: check this out Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
hey pkh, you should consider doing this with your recent trip to cozumel:

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/s.nl/it.I/id.32/.f?nav=Best%20Info/Travel%20Features

It's already in the works! Very Happy

Project_Flightning

Since 10 Oct 2005
47 Posts
Sea-Town & South Beach

PostFri Feb 17, 06 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Hey all! I'm Tyson from Federal Way, wa. I was super fortunate to be able to hook up with some amazing people while in Cozumel. That would be Phil, Nicole, Tom, Jody and Trever. Thanks guys so much for letting me tag along I had tons of fun with all of you guys. If you wanna send the other pictures on over to my email it's projectflightning @ gmail.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Feb 17, 06 2:36 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics Tyson, that first one is a riot.

Make sure you come down here this summer, you'll love Sauvies (okay not as much as you probably loved those flat water lagoons, but oh well.)

Lates!

Project_Flightning

Since 10 Oct 2005
47 Posts
Sea-Town & South Beach

PostFri Feb 17, 06 3:47 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Make sure you come down here this summer

you can count on that

thanks again guys

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostSat Feb 18, 06 4:55 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the photos Tyson duuuuude. When you come down we'll be sure to have lots of toothpaste and internet! Wink

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Feb 26, 06 9:18 am    cozumel Reply with quote

heya,
back from coz and back to work, oh well. . .

couldn't say it better than phil did, the island has so much to offer both kiters and nonkiters as well.

some things that jump out at me:

next time we will stay in the country club. the taxi from playa azul (nice little beach front hotel about 2 mi up the road) was only $5 but from the cc you can walk to the beach for ne/n winds-very easy.

can't say enough good things about adrian our local guide, a mayan with a family history on the island running back for decades-he is a rich source of info about the island and its culture, his father owns the longest running restaurant Casa Dennis (good mex food by the way). look hm up for reasonably priced boat service to otherwise unaccessible drop-dead-gorgeous kiting spots.

the island is recovering but took a heavy hit by wilma. it will be years before it recovers fully, despite what some of the travel sites will tell you.

don't go expecting a flawless tropical experience, but do go if you can! i have never seen more beautiful water under my board. my last day on the cc beach i was lit on my 15, kited out to the deep blue, a cruise ship on my starboard tack, the north hotel zone with their white coral beachs rising up on the port. absolutely unforgetable. . .

cheers

jimbo

Mr Madleg

Since 13 May 2005
10 Posts
Portland, OR

PostTue Apr 04, 06 8:11 pm    A few more pictures from Tulum Reply with quote

The beach just south of the ruins in has a little hut where they give lessons and rent equipment.

Tulum beach.jpg 
   Tulum Extreme Control.jpg 

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostTue Apr 04, 06 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

Nice. Wish we woulda... It was pretty windy the day we visited Tulum.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Apr 05, 06 6:44 am    Re: A few more pictures from Tulum Reply with quote

Mr Madleg wrote:
The beach just south of the ruins in has a little hut where they give lessons and rent equipment.

wow! yeah we totally missed that... oh well we were so beat that day, next time though!

adrianczm

Since 06 Mar 2006
89 Posts
Cozumel, Mexico

PostSun Apr 09, 06 7:16 am    Going from 5 line kites to 3 line kites!!! Reply with quote

Hey, was watching at the pics of the Kites on the trees. Remember that Two line 10 mt Naish explorer bran new that I crashed that day? I had it fixed at Jeff Howard´s shop in Corpus Christy, texas and got it back in great shape. Since that kite was meant to be used to teach I was thinking of a way to make it more friendly to students, than I fixed a third line to the kite. Wow, it works and worked very well. I went to the beach to just try it and see how the sistem work. Wind was light and all were flying 15 to 18 mts kites at country club and I decided to give it a try with my 138 XX from rrd and friends told me I was not going to have enough, man I was rocking with that little &%$&!!! eventhough I was pumping the kite alot it did not stop me from doing a few raleys, backroolls and front rolls and to have goten back to the same spot I started. The sistem, even Im sure has been done before I beleive its a great intro to beginners that want to know how 5th lines work before using a 5 line kite!!!

I think Im going from 5 line kites to 3 line kites in the future (for personal use of course!)

3 line kite rocks!!!

Hope all its well up there that the weather its getting better for you all

Adrian

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Apr 09, 06 7:22 am     Reply with quote

heya adrian,
great to hear from you and about your kite experiment. and do not forget, you have your very own kite tester in david, just wind him up and let him go "sure this is safe, no problem." just kidding my friend, he is a good guy, we shouldn't be too hard on the young 'uns.

jimbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: