Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Who else here has back pain from riding switch? I guess I'm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSat May 31, 08 4:42 am    Who else here has back pain from riding switch? I guess I'm Reply with quote

just getting old because my back is really starting to hurt. A little background on my situation is that I'm in good health, according to a doc, and I'm in good shape according to my wife. But still I have a significant amount of pain in my back. At the end of last season I went to Chiro and he took some xrays and it turns out that I actually had some curvature of the spine down low. I told him the story about kiting switch one direction and he told me that it was probably due to preferring the starboard side way more than the port. So, after electro stim, massage therapy, and several chiro visits I broke down and went to a Physical Therapist. She told me that I had to do more sit ups, stretch out more, and ride switch both ways in equal amounts. She told me that it was normal to have a certain amount of pain and that bending and twisting was like bending and lifting in that it is not good for the back. So, I didn't mountain bike this spring like I normally do to get in shape and as a result I'm in poor cardiovascular shape, but have been lifting weights. I would post a picture of my muscles but Phil would more than likely lock it, delete and I would be relegated to the worst posters club yet once again. I refer proudly to my toe, and subsequent improved toe post, that if you took the time to download it you would have a good laugh for certain.
Back to my back pain: Possible causes are bulging disc due to use from college water polo, tennis, basketball, etc.. very active I'm adhd and don't like to sit very long unless i'm playing xbox360 which by the way is what I did this spring to heal up and it worked.
So, my question to the forum is this, not a survey Spike, but a real question: How many of you both young and old kite maniacs have experienced over use issues with your lower back? Please be long winded and funny in your reply as it makes for far better reading.
Thanks
Ron Very Happy

Mr Madleg

Since 13 May 2005
10 Posts
Portland, OR

PostSat May 31, 08 8:25 am    Dealing with back pain Reply with quote

My lower back pain started out of the blue 3 or 4 years ago - snowboarding was the original cause, but I even "re-injured" it once when putting on my wetsuit. I've had it so bad that I couldn't even put on my own socks. It's usually on my right side, so you're probably right about it being from the sideways stance. Riding switch seems to help me.

I've tried a lot of fixes over the years. Here's a summary:
- doctor (worthless - he also told me I need to do more situps and gave me a stretch/strength exercise sheet. "80% of the country has back pain, it's just life, son". Seriously? How much did I just pay you?)
- acupuncture (felt good afterward, but was it just a placebo effect???)
- mounting my snowboard bindings goofy to force me to ride that way (just not as much fun)
- yoga (seems to help, but it's not a fix)
- stretching a lot before any activity (this actually works pretty well, but it's very difficult to be thorough when there's new powder, or you're worried about the wind dying)
- back/leg strengthening exercises (sometimes I cause more harm than good with these)
- quitting my job (It was a cubicle job and sitting all day was not making my back any better)
- Malton A. Schexneider at www.eraseyourbackpain.com (I just started watching his videos. They are logical and his stretches seem to be helping. Some are old ones I've done, but some are new and very helpful. Problem is, he's got one of those crazy long websites full of advertising with "sign up now" buttons all over the page so I'm hesitant to sign up for his program. The program is $700 if you don't have insurance.)
- Drink more water to keep the muscles hydrated (this is a new, but obvious one - I think it may be a key to the solution)

I should probably mention back pain causes depression, especially in the winter, when snowboarding is too painful to be fun, and especially for hyper-active people with adhd.

So, here's my advice: drink water, perform pre-activity stretching and warmups more and more as you get older (I'm 28 now), and stay away from the snowboard parks (I've never done a kiteloop, and probably never will - unless my buddy Malton comes through for me - because some of the landings look pretty bad on the back). If you do hurt your back, stop what you're doing (even if there is fresh powder or the wind is perfect) and ice it religiously for the next few days.

Next steps for me: drink water, listen to Malton, and move to Hawaii where there are no depressing winters and no need for a wetsuit. My next post will probably be about dealing with rock fever.

Last edited by Mr Madleg on Sun Jun 01, 08 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

kurtm

Since 18 Nov 2006
5 Posts

Kook

PostSat May 31, 08 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

I started getting back pain 20 years ago from ski racing in college. I've done physical thearapy, chiropractic thearapy, & had two surgeries since then. The most amazing thing you will find about your back is that the human body is incredible at repairing itself. Do what you have to to manage the pain (other than pain killers) with massage, chiropractic thearapy & exercise. You need to learn your bodies limits & if 4 hours on a kiteboard kills your back, do 2 instead. You'll probably find that your pain comes & goes, just remember that when it's gone, your back is still not perfect so stick to your streatching & exercises or it will come back in an instant. Then you get start all over again with recovery.

As for your assessment of all of the professionals that you listed in your post, they will all play a part in the treatment of your back over the next 20 years. Don't count any of them out as worthless.

Kurt

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostSat May 31, 08 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, I've been out for 2 weeks now, I got a bad something in my back. Going to PT, and doing some exercises. Moving back to a seat harness for a while. I think what caused it for me was a mix of favoring goofy foot, and some rolls with kiteloops. I think especially flips and rolls from toeside with kiteloops kicked my back...and suddenly it just locked up.

Moving on to yoga and pilates to strengthen up the core. When I get better I am going back to martial arts...all of these so good for core strength.

I am in bad need of a kiting fix...I mean really desperate to get out in the water...

Note: riding switch is actually riding inverted from what you normally would ride. If you ride regular foot, riding switch would then be riding goofy foot. My problems comes more because I am NOT riding switch as much as I should.

a.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostSat May 31, 08 9:53 pm    Very interesting that others have the same issue...Thanks... Reply with quote

for sharing your experiences on this topic. It is without a doubt very important to have a data base of things and ideas that sustain everyone through injuries. I'm feeling better and the weight lifting really helps. I have been streching and hitting the hot tub at the club daily.
I'm making sure to warm up before each sesh by just jogging a bit and doing some basic streching. Kiting does put stress on your back if you jump, and loop and twist.

Thanks for sharing your back stories it really helps to know that others are dealing with the issue as well.

Very Happy

malton

Since 31 May 2008
1 Posts

PostSun Jun 01, 08 12:03 pm    Back Pain Help Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I'm not a kiter... hell I'd probably kill myself, but I sure enjoy watching you guys. Amazing.

Anyway, one of your members above referenced my website www.eraseyourbackpain.com and i really appreciate the endorsement.

As a way of saying thank you, I'd like to offer any of you a free phone consultation. No obligaition, just straight talk about your back pain.

If interested, just email me at backpainhelp@gmail.com. Leave your name and the best way to reach you. Call will last about 15 minutes and I'll anser anything you throw at me.

Hope to hear from you and be safe.
Malton

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 01, 08 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

bulae,

Im by no means what you would call an old guy, but I also get back pain. I dont find that it has much to do with riding switch. I think in general kiting just puts a lot of stress on your back since that is where your harness is pulling from. I think if you would switch to a seat harness this would help a lot with the pain, even tho it might not look that cool to wear a diaper when your kiting. But whatever keeps you on the water right?

And thanks doc, I might have to make that phone call here in about 10 years. Hopefully no sooner.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: